These low carb walking tacos are for my fellow low carb-ers who don’t want to miss out on eating something this cute and delicious…
Because walking tacos are happening. And those of us sticking to low carb foods aren’t going to miss out! So grab some foil, a brown paper bag and your favorite taco toppings, and let’s throw together these low carb walking tacos, so we can get our festival, rodeo, bbq-ing on!
Low Carb Walking Tacos Ingredients:
The ingredients in low carb walking tacos are pretty straight forward — basically any imaginable taco topping tastes just as delicious in a bag! You have full creative license to make whatever it is you’re craving: spice it up (or down), try different meats, whatever you’re feeling! You can make these low carb walking tacos as unique as you are.
Here are some do’s and don’t based on low carb shopping list ingredients for your low carb walking taco toppings:
Approved Low Carb Tacos Toppings
Fortunately, in the low carb tacos department, we’ve got a plethora of delicious toppings to work with, including (but not limited to):
- Cheese chips
- Avocado sauce
- Sauteed bell peppers and onions
- Sour cream
- Low carb salad dressing
Keto Tacos Toppings to Avoid
Since our goal is to make keto tacos, there are a few high carb toppings we’ll want to steer clear of, including:
Not bad right? There are way tastier items in the approved low carb walking taco topping column — go us!
Low Carb Walking Taco Variations
As cute as these low carb walking tacos are, they may seem like more work then you’re looking for. Here are a few variations to this low carb walking taco recipe you can try:
Use Low Carb Chili Instead of Keto Taco Seasoning + Meat
Low carb walking tacos are my favorite use for leftover chili — it’s a delicious way to spice up your leftovers so you don’t feel like you’re eating the same meal night after night. To do this, skip the ground beef and keto taco seasoning, and cover your low carb walking taco ingredients with a dollop of low carb chili instead!
Make Cheese Taco Shells
Instead of stuffing your low carb walking taco ingredients into a bag, try serving them in crispy cheese taco shells! Similar to how we made cheese chips in the recipe instructions below, just bigger.
Make Low Carb Taco Shells From Veggies
Or, stuff low carb walking taco ingredients inside your favorite “stuffable” low carb veggies for delicious and nutritious low carb taco shells. Try baked portobello mushrooms, baked bell peppers, baked/hollowed out zucchini or leafy lettuce.
Save Your Favorite Recipes!Create an account and save all your favorite recipes for easy access!
Or a Low Carb Taco Salad
If you don’t plan on walking with your tacos, make life easier with a low carb taco salad. Just toss all your ingredients in a bowl instead of a bag. Making your low carb walking taco this way means you can douse the the ingredients in:
Keto Taco Salad Dressing
It’s hard to find tasty low carb salad dressing at the store — which is why I make my own keto taco salad dressing. For this delicious combination of ingredients, try a cilantro lime concoction — if you like slightly sweet salad dressings, add some erythritol or your keto sweetener of choice.
Get Creative with Your Low Carb Taco Seasoning
As you know, most store bought taco seasoning contain a hefty amount of sugar or cornstarch — which is why I make my own low carb taco seasoning. It’s crazy easy to toss together, and stores beautifully in the fridge (I store it in a leftover spice container).
Plus making your own low carb walking tacos seasoning, means you get to make it as spicy, garlic-y, cumin-y as you’d like!
A Note About These Keto Taco Shells
Learn from my mistake, and don’t serve these low carb walking tacos without aluminum foil inside the brown paper bag. Unfortunately, these keto taco shells need some “waterproofing” to keep their ingredients neaty inside!
How do I Make Low Carb Walking Tacos
There you have it friends, every imaginable variation for low carb walking tacos. I hope you have fun eating and walking with these delicious low carb walking tacos. Leave me a comment below and let me know what you think!
Low Carb Walking Tacos
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 2 Tablespoons of Low Carb Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- Lettuce shredded
- Tomatoes diced
- Red Onion diced
- Sour Cream
- Jalapeno sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spread cheese on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, in a thin and even layer.
- Bake cheese for 16-18 minutes, or until the cheese looks crispy.
- Allow cheese to cool for a few minutes, then place paper towels on top to catch extra grease. The chips will continue to harden as they cool.
- Once slightly hardened, use a pizza cutter to cut the cheese into chip shapes.
- Add ground beef to a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in low carb taco seasoning, salt and pepper and continue to cook until meat is no longer pink (6-8 minutes).
- Line small paper lunch bags with aluminum foil.
- Layer your low carb walking tacos into the bags. I like to go in this order: lettuce, cheese chips, ground beef, red onions and tomatoes.
- Top with sour cream, guacamole and jalapeños.
- Eat with a spoon and enjoy!
- Instead of ground beef and taco seasoning, try making walking tacos with low carb chili.
- If you don’t have low carb taco seasoning, combine 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder, ½ Teaspoon Cumin, ½ Teaspoon Oregano, ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Be sure to line paper bags with aluminum foil, if you skip this step the tacos will be extremely messy!
Low Carb Taco Bell
For those of you who can’t get enough low carb Mexican food, check out this guide to ordering low carb Taco Bell. Including delicious low carb breakfasts on the dollar menu, and power bowls for lunch/dinner!