Low carb walking tacos – the somehow even easier version of the traditional taco!
Leave your low carb tortillas at home, because this low carb recipes genius derives from making it super portable – layer the ingredients in a disposable container and boom, you’re done!
Like many low carb ground beef recipes, we heavily season our meat and combine it with fresh, flavorful ingredients. Taco recipes often make for great low carb lunch ideas, and these are no exception!
You’ll fall in love with their relaxed style and delicious taste and start dreaming up all sorts of variations! No more waiting, let’s begin!
If you think regular tacos are laid back, wait til you meet these! Plus:
- All the fun and deliciousness of tacos, none of the cleanup!
- Just a couple of cheap and easy ingredients, plus some seasonings!
- Super customizable – everyone can add their own flair!
Super fast, super easy – these low carb walking tacos are EFFORTLESS.
Traditional walking tacos are made with a slew of high carb ingredients. Here’s what we’ll use instead:
Spices – I use a whole bunch of south of the border spices that, once mixed all together, basically amount to low carb taco seasoning! You can also use a store-bought seasoning, just watch out for added starches and sugars.
Turkey/beef – I used ground turkey in these low carb walking tacos because I like to mix up my proteins. If you can’t find it or want to use what you have on hand, feel free to make these into ground beef tacos instead!
Erythritol – I love using this plant based sugar substitute because it has no carbs, no calories, and doesn’t affect blood sugar at all! Get the brown or golden version for this recipe, as it behaves the most like brown sugar.
Parmesan crisps – these are optional, but highly recommended! Make them yourself by spreading low carb cheese on a baking sheet, or buy them from the store. Either way, they add a great keto crunch to this recipe taking the place of a taco shell.
I used these ParmCrisps I grabbed on Amazon (under $2/bag! and they make for great snacks to have in the pantry).
Tools To Make
All you need for this quick and easy low carb walking tacos recipe is… Drumroll… a skillet. Use the largest one you have for cooking up your ground turkey and adding in your sauce.
Store your leftover taco meat in an airtight container in the fridge. Keep all your other taco toppings separate so everything stays fresh and crisp.
There are so many ways to serve these low carb walking tacos, here are all your options:
- Container: These are low carb WALKING tacos, so they’re supposed to be served in a container of some kind. You can use a small sandwich bag, plastic cups, or if you don’t mind it being reusable, use a mason jar or small bowl.
- The “chips”: I used cheese crisps on the bottom, but you can use any low carb chips you have or are craving! Low carb tortilla chips would be delicious
- Toppings: Use your favorite taco toppings here, I love a combo of low carb vegetables such as tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole. Then a dollop of sour cream, but there are no rules! You do you!
Want to add your own twist to these tacos? Here are some ideas:
- Really craving that taco shell? You can use cheese taco shells or low carb tortillas, or grab some fresh romaine and make low carb lettuce wraps instead of walking taco.s
- Want to use the meat you have on hand? Swap it for your protein of choice. Psst — these low carb walking tacos are great with leftover low carb chili!!
- This recipe has all of the makings of a great salad! Add extra lettuce, some homemade ranch dressing and you have all the ingredients for an incredible low carb taco salad!
- If you’re serving a crowd, make it easy with a one-pan low carb taco casserole. Plus, you can make it ahead of time!!
- Skip the chips and serve these low carb walking tacos over a bed of low carb rice! You can use miracle rice, broccoli rice, or cauliflower rice here.
Low Carb Walking TacosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 1 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander
- 1/2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey
- 8 Ounces Can of Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Golden Swerve or Lakanto (see sweetener notes below)
- 1/2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- If making your own parmesan crisps, do this first.
- Heat veggie oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Once shimmering add onion and saute until it begins to soften about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the spices: chili powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, and garlic powder and continually stir as they toast, until they become fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add turkey to the skillet and break up the meat with the back of your spoon as it cooks. Cook until it's only slightly pink in the center, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, vinegar, brown erythritol, and pepper and cook until the sauce thickens and coats the meat -- about 4-6 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking (keep in mind, parmesan crisps are VERY salt, so if you find the meat under-salted that's good for most palates!).
- Spoon taco meat over your parmesan crisps (see notes below*, you can do this in the snack sized bags of ParmCrisps like I did, a clear plastic cup, or even a mason jar/bowl if you don't need these to be disposable).
- Sprinkle with toppings of choice, and enjoy!
Tacos, all day, every day, am I right?? Here are some fun options to shake up your menu! The hardest part is deciding which ones to make first!
- Low Carb Taco Soup – This is a perfect meal for a cool night.
- Ground Chicken Tacos – Try a different protein with these yummy chicken tacos!
- Pork Tacos – The other white meat! For real, these are fantastic.
- Tuna Tacos – Fish tacos – elevated!
- Carne Asada Tacos – The Mexican classic – succulent, grilled meat!
Ready to up your taco game with these low carb walking tacos?
Did you do a baggie or a mason jar? You put the parmesan crisps in first, right?? Leave me a comment and tell me what you thought!