Let’s talk keto cheese, ya’ll! You know that I am a sleuth when it comes to finding delicious keto foods for you…
There are SO many different types that there’s something for everyone. It’s also rich in protein and calcium and OH SO tasty! The best part? Almost all cheeses are considered high fat keto foods, making them keto friendly.
I’ve taken the guesswork out to make snacking your main priority! Here we go…
It’s hard to narrow down the list of the top keto cheese options because they’re all so danggg good! So let’s take a look at the varieties that have under 1 gram of carb per 1 ounce serving…
Here are the 10 best low carb cheese options:
- Cheddar cheese
- Brie cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Gruyere cheese
- Manchego cheese
- Burrata cheese
- Provolone cheese
- Goat cheese
- Muenster cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
Surprisingly, there really aren’t a lot of carbs in cheese, which is great news for us low carb eaters! Check out the carb counts below of some of my favorite low carb cheese options. Get to munching!
- ZERO grams of carbs in gruyere cheese
- ZERO grams of carbs in manchego cheese
- ZERO grams of carbs in burrata cheese
- 0.3 grams of carbs in provolone cheese
- 0.5 grams of carbs in brie cheese
- 0.6 grams of carbs in cheddar cheese
- 0.9 grams of carbs in parmesan cheese (hard, not shredded)
- 0.12 grams of carbs in goat cheese
- 0.32 grams of carbs in muenster cheese
- 0.68 grams of carbs in mozzarella cheese
- 1 gram of carbs in gorgonzola (crumbled)
- 1 gram of carbs in romano cheese
- 1 gram of carbs in swiss cheese
- 1 gram of carbs in gouda cheese
- 1 gram of carbs in feta cheese
- 1.5 grams of carbs in cream cheese
- 3 grams of carbs in ricotta cheese
If you don’t see your favorite cheese on the above list, leave me a comment below and I’ll be sure to add it in.
Please note that different brands and types (low fat, reduced fat, whole milk, etc,) will yield varying nutritional carbohydrate counts — read the label on specific products to get an extract breakdown.
Cheese To Watch Out For
The exception to these cheeses are specialty cheeses, which often use ingredients such as wine, fruit, or chocolate—this will ultimately change the carb count.
Also, look out for Gjetost Cheese — it’s a Norwegian cheese that’s best described as a caramel tasting, butter-y fudge like cheese. Needless to say, this stuff contains 12.1 grams of carbs per ounce!
Why Are There Less Carbs In Cheese Than Milk
There are fewer carbs in cheese than in milk due to lactose, milk’s naturally occurring sugar, which translates into a carbohydrate. Most lactose is removed during the cheese making process, when it’s broken down into glucose, then lactic acid.
Unfortunately, there’s no such thing as keto milk. However, there are plenty of milk alternatives, lower in carbs/calories, that’re made from: almonds, coconut, cashews, flax, etc. Be sure to check the labels and get unsweetened when available.
Here are some tips on eating cheese when you are living the low carb lifestyle!
How Can I Eat Cheese For Dessert?
A fantastic way to eat healthier for dessert is by pairing keto fruits with cheese.
Personally, berries, cheese and crackers (with keto flour) are my go-to snack. They also travel well, so I can grab them and go!
You can also make a low carb cheesecake (don’t forget about your sugar alternative options such as erythritol!) or fatbombs combining cream cheese and your favorite crust/fruit.
How Can I Eat Cheese For Lunch?
A personal snacking combination of mine is low carb jerky with low carb cheese. They’re both great sources of protein and satiate my mid-day hunger pains! Hanger no more!
They also make for great snacks on the go — bring a few cheese sticks and a bag of jerky on your next hike and you’ll be one happy adventurer.
How Do I Turn Cheese Into A More Substantial Snack?
I’m a professional snacker and there’s nothing I love more than a handful of keto nuts, but that simply isn’t enough to tide me over till the next meal…
So I like to throw together my own little high protein keto snacks box (watch out Starbucks) with some keto cheese, hard boiled eggs, nuts and keto peanut butter on celery — De-lish (and wayyy less expensive)!
Still hankering for some cheese? Think beyond cheese sticks and slices my friends…
Cheese isn’t just a flavor booster in your low carb beans for chili! It’s the taco shell, the sauce, the dessert, the chips, the whatever you want it to be! Check out these other cheesy recipes to get inspired:
17+ Keto CheesePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Onion finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 - 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (note 1)
- 4 Ounces Diced Green Chilis (note 2)
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk unflavored
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum (note 3)
- 2 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Saute. Melt unsalted butter (1 tablespoon) over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add finely chopped onions (1/4 cup), and cook until transulcent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic (2 cloves) and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Toast. Add salt (1/2 teaspoon), ground cumin (1 teaspoon) and cayenne pepper (1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon) and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Simmer. Stir in diced green chilis (4 Ounces), heavy cream (1/2 cup), almond milk (1/2 cup), and xanthan gum (1/2 teaspoon). Stir until xanthan gum dissolve. Bring combo to a simmer.
- Final touches. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese (2 cups) until completely dissolved. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Cayenne pepper is where most of the spice comes from. Consider adding more/less to suit your taste.
- Diced green chiles are actually not very spicy. If you want more spice, consider swapping with diced jalapeno or even a serrano chile.
- Xanthan Gum is used to thicken our cheese sauce, don't skip!
- Nutritional information - 1 serving of this recipe is equal to about 1/4 cup:
I hope you learned a little something and are now a cheese whiz! Hah! I love to read your comments! Write them below!