When it comes to low carb soup recipes, this keto broccoli cheese soup recipe is one of my FAVES! Because it’s tasty, cozy, comforting and EASY!
I love making a big batch and using it for low carb dinners during the week. It’s one of those simple healthy dinners that’s SO satisfying and comes together in under an hour!
Forget that canned mystery mess! This is the ultimate of low carb recipes for broccoli cheese soup. It makes great low carb side dishes and pairs well with a crisp vinaigrette salad.
Let me show you!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
I absolutely love that this rich and creamy broccoli cheese soup recipe is keto and ready in under an hour! Not too many dishes can boast those credentials and be used as a main course.
I also love that the broccoli can be as large or as small as I want it to be. It’s customized to my specific preference every time I make it.
Here are even more reasons to love it:
- It’s wholesome and homemade
- Rich cheesy goodness
- Nutritious broccoli-based dish
- Use as main course of side
- Ready in under an hour
- Reeally easy to make
Sautéing your aromatics (onions and garlic) until translucent is an important part of this low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe. It adds beautiful aroma and depth of flavor to your dish while reducing bitterness.
You’ll also want to ensure your keto broccoli cheese soup recipe has ample simmer time to soften the broccoli. Simmering is best done over medium-low heat and produces a gentle bubble.
Here are a few ingredients to point out:
Heavy Cream – You probably already know that cow’s milk (used in traditional broccoli cheese soup) is loaded with carbs. Heavy cream is a delicious swap in this recipe.
Broth – The broth gives you some room to play. Veggie broth gives you a vegetarian version of this low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe and chicken broth makes it more decadent.
Xanthan Gum – This ingredient plays an important roll in our low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe, as it helps to thicken the dish!
In traditional recipes, flour is added, however (and here’s a SERIOUS low carb pro tip…), xanthan gum is able to thicken recipes using a fraction of the amount! Ultimately adding significantly fewer carbs to the dish.
So if you’re looking at that teaspoon, thinking you can skip it, think again friends! It’s the difference between a brothy soup, and the thicker version you’re after.
Tools To Make
Making this low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe couldn’t be more simple. Here’s what you need to make it:
- Knife – for chopping
- Large pot – to make soup in
- Immersion blender – to blend the soup (a blender works too!)
Could it be any simpler?
This low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe keeps in the fridge or the freezer, depending on your meal plan.
I like to whip up a big batch and have it for dinner a couple of times. I put the rest in the freezer, so I have low carb broccoli cheese soup on demand whenever the mood strikes me.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes, one of the simple beauties of this recipe! This low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe freezes just fine.
You can reheat it on the stove-top or in the microwave and it only takes a few minutes. Easy peesy!
Meal Prepping Tips
When I make this soup for meal prep, I like to make a double batch and divvy it up into single-serve portions. I toss some in the fridge for lunches or dinners during the week.
The rest goes in freezer bags into the frozen abyss. That way I can pull it out whenever I want to have some, and I don’t have to make it from scratch.
There are so many different things you can do with this low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe! Tweaking it to your personal taste is simple and subtle changes can give you different flavors.
This comes in really handy, especially since you can have this soup as a side dish or as a meal. Here are a couple of suggestions but remember – they are only the tip of the iceberg!
- Add more keto vegetables! Squeeze some extra nutrients in to turn this into a low carb vegetable soup. You can toss in a few handfuls of MILD tasting veggies without hardly noticing. Spinach or kale are always great options for this.
- Experiment with different types of keto cheese like gouda or pepper jack. You have cheesy options!
- Toss in some protein, You can turn it into a keto chicken soup by adding shredded/cooked chicken into the mix (after adding the cheese). Diced and cooked ham or bacon are also delicious additions!
- Add pureed squash to thicken it (think pumpkin soup or butternut squash soup — they bring a naturally creamy addition)
Making wholesome delicious low carb soup is a cost-efficient way to stay on track with your meal plan. I absolutely love soup and most recipes are great for low carb meal prep too.
There’s nothing better on a cold dreary day than being able to grab a nice big hot bowl of soup that tastes fantastic and you can feel great about eating. Here are some more of my healthy soup recipes for you to try:
- Chicken Curry Soup
- Keto Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Keto Taco Soup
- Keto Chicken and Dumplings
- Keto Tomato Soup
Keto Broccoli Cheese SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup White Onion chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 3 1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 4 Cups Broccoli florets
- 1 Cup Heavy cream
- 3 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Melt unsalted butter (2 tablespoons) in a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped white onion (1/2 cup), and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic (4 cloves) and stir for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add xanthan gum (1 teaspoon), and stir into the veggies until it dissolves.
- Add the vegetable broth (3 1/2 cup), and heavy cream (1 cup). Bring the soup to an aggressive simmer. Reduce uncovered for 10 minutes. You'll know it's done once the soup coats the back of a spoon.
- Add broccoli florets (4 cups) and continue to cook until the broccoli is tender about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, add the soup to a high-speed blender* and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender.
- Return soup to the pot, and make sure the heat is off.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese (3 cups), 1 cup at a time. Stir in until melted.
- Taste the seasoning, and adjust as needed. I usually add 1/2 additional teaspoon of salt here.
- Ladle into bowls, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Xanthan Gum is necessary for binding the ingredients of this recipe together, you CAN'T SKIP OR SUB!
- Not sure if your blender is high speed? Check out these Blendtec Blenders, I can't live without mine!