When it comes to healthy soup recipes, this low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe is one of my FAVES! Because it’s tasty, cozy, comforting and EASY!
I love making a big batch and using it for low carb dinners during the week. It’s one of those simple healthy dinners that’s SO satisfying and comes together in under an hour!
Forget that canned mystery mess! This is the ultimate of low carb recipes for broccoli cheese soup. It makes great low carb side dishes and pairs well with a crisp vinaigrette salad.
Let me show you!
I absolutely love that this rich and creamy broccoli cheese soup recipe is keto and ready in under an hour! Not too many dishes can boast those credentials and be used as a main course.
I also love that the broccoli can be as large or as small as I want it to be. It’s customized to my specific preference every time I make it.
Here are even more reasons to love it:
- It’s wholesome and homemade
- Rich cheesy goodness
- Nutritious broccoli-based dish
- Use as main course of side
- Ready in under an hour
- Reeally easy to make
Sautéing your aromatics (onions and garlic) until translucent is an important part of this low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe. It adds beautiful aroma and depth of flavor to your dish while reducing bitterness.
You’ll also want to ensure your low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe has ample simmer time to soften the broccoli. Simmering is best done over medium-low heat and produces a gentle bubble.
Here are a few ingredients to point out:
Heavy Cream – You probably already know that cow’s milk (used in traditional broccoli cheese soup) is loaded with carbs. Heavy cream is a delicious swap in this recipe.
Broth – The broth gives you some room to play. Veggie broth gives you a vegetarian version of this low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe and chicken broth makes it more decadent.
Xanthan Gum – This ingredient plays an important roll in our low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe, as it helps to thicken the dish!
In traditional recipes, flour is added, however (and here’s a SERIOUS low carb pro tip…), xanthan gum is able to thicken recipes using a fraction of the amount! Ultimately adding significantly fewer carbs to the dish.
So if you’re looking at that teaspoon, thinking you can skip it, think again friends! It’s the difference between a brothy soup, and the thicker version you’re after.
Tools To Make
Making this low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe couldn’t be more simple. Here’s what you need to make it:
- Knife – for chopping
- Large pot – to make soup in
- Immersion blender – to blend the soup (a blender works too!)
Could it be any simpler?
This low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe keeps in the fridge or the freezer, depending on your meal plan.
I like to whip up a big batch and have it for dinner a couple of times. I put the rest in the freezer, so I have low carb broccoli cheese soup on demand whenever the mood strikes me.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes, one of the simple beauties of this recipe! This low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe freezes just fine.
You can reheat it on the stove-top or in the microwave and it only takes a few minutes. Easy peesy!
Meal Prepping Tips
When I make this soup for meal prep, I like to make a double batch and divvy it up into single-serve portions. I toss some in the fridge for lunches or dinners during the week.
The rest goes in freezer bags into the frozen abyss. That way I can pull it out whenever I want to have some, and I don’t have to make it from scratch.
There are so many different things you can do with this low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe! Tweaking it to your personal taste is simple and subtle changes can give you different flavors.
This comes in really handy, especially since you can have this soup as a side dish or as a meal. Here are a couple of suggestions but remember – they are only the tip of the iceberg!
- Add more veggies
- Use different cheeses like gouda or pepper jack
- Toss in some protein
- Serve with almond flour croutons or low carb crackers
Can I Add Protein?
Yes! Adding protein to this dish is an awesome way to turn this into a more well-rounded meal…
- Turn it into a low carb chicken soup by adding shredded/cooked chicken into the mix (after adding the cheese)
- Diced and cooked ham or bacon are also delicious additions
I like to reserve the stronger tasting meat for their own dish (like this low carb beef stew).
How Can I Add More Greens?
Totally! You can toss in a few handfuls of MILD tasting veggies without hardly noticing. Spinach or kale are always great options for this.
Strong tasting veggies, on the other hand, will really stand out — think of a broccoli cheese and lettuce soup or a broccoli cheese and brussel sprout soup — those greens would totally change the flavor.
Maybe that’s what you’re after? And you want to squeeze some extra nutrients in to turn this into a low carb vegetable soup.
Try tossing in little chunks of squash or zucchini, they cook up tender and the color blends seamlessly.
You can also turn this into a broccoli cauliflower soup by subbing half the broccoli for cauliflower.
What Other Veggies Can I Sneak In?
This low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe is masterful at hiding mild-tasting veggies. The creamy cheesy goodness just tastes so scrumptious people don’t much care what else is in it.
That said, some veggies will REALLY stand out (and not in the way you’re craving). For other veggie-based soups, check out my low carb tomato soup, or my cabbage roll soup.
Can I Make This Spicy?
As much as I love spicy food, this low carb broccoli cheese soup is anything but spicy! I have been known to toss in some diced jalapenos on occasion but sometimes it’s just easier to make a low carb chili or a low carb taco soup.
How Can I Make This Soup Thicker/Creamier?
Now, you’ve got to admit that this low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe is nothing short of dreamy creamy decadence!
If you want to thicken it even more, you have a few options:
- Reduce the soup uncovered longer (before adding in the cheese)
- Add more xanthan gum (1/2 teaspoon should do the trick)
- Add more cheese
- Add pureed squash to thicken it (think pumpkin soup or butternut squash soup — they bring a naturally creamy addition)
Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup White Onion chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 3 1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 4 Cups Broccoli florets
- 1 Cup Heavy cream
- 3 Cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Melt butter in a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add xanthan gum, and stir into the veggies until it dissolves.
- Add the chicken broth, and heavy cream. Bring the soup to an aggressive simmer. Reduce uncovered for 10 minutes. You'll know it's done once the soup coats the back of a spoon.
- Add broccoli and continue to cook until the broccoli is tender about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, add the soup to a high-speed blender* and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender.
- Return soup to the pot, and make sure the heat is off.
- Add cheese, 1 cup at a time. Stir in until melted.
- Taste the seasoning, and adjust as needed. I usually add 1/2 additional teaspoon of salt here.
- Ladle into bowls, and enjoy!
Making wholesome delicious low carb soup is a cost-efficient way to stay on track with your meal plan. I absolutely love soup and most recipes are great for low carb meal prep too.
There’s nothing better on a cold dreary day than being able to grab a nice big hot bowl of soup that tastes fantastic and you can feel great about eating. Here are some more of my low carb soup recipes for you to try:
- Stuffed Pepper Soup – A hearty superstar in the soup world.
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup – Layers of yummy flavor in a bowl.
- Roasted Tomato Soup – Nacho mamma’s tomato soup!
- Crockpot Chicken Soup – Perfect make-ahead meal that’s ready when you are.
- Keto Chicken and Dumplings – Better than traditional recipes!
Finding an easy low carb broccoli cheese soup recipe that actually tastes fantastic can be a challenge – until now! This low carb broccoli cheese soup is a creamy dreamy wonder in a bowl.
I love how cheesy and satisfying it is, not to mention versatile. This soup is a staple in my low carb kitchen and I just know you’re going to love it too!
Let me know what you think in the comments below, and enjoy!