This low carb cheeseburger casserole recipe will make you never even consider fast food AGAIN!
Because it’s full of cheesy goodness, loads of flavor, healthy veggies and SATIATING protein! Low carb hamburger recipes like this are a win for your tastebuds AND your meal plan…
In this one, I put a twist on classic cheeseburgers by turning them into Low carb casseroles for a melt in your mouth delight! Because these low carb recipes don’t require hamburger buns, you’ll get all the flavor and none of the unwanted carbs.
Ready in less than an hour, low carb dinners have never been so easy! So let’s get baking…
My love for low carb foods doesn’t negate my love for hamburgers! Sometimes, all my tummy wants is a good cheeseburger. This low carb cheeseburger recipe is great because it:
- Satiates my burger cravings
- Is loved by the entire family
- High fat and high protein (so you’ll stay full!)
- Only takes 40 minutes
- No one will even know it’s low carb!
You won’t believe how easy this low carb cheeseburger casserole recipe is to make! Here’s what you need to know:
Vegetables – If you want to cut more carbs from the recipe, try using less onion because it’s a slightly higher carb vegetable. Make sure you cook all the veggies until they’re soft, and the mushroom liquid has evaporated (this will prevent your casserole from getting soggy).
Meat – I like to use ground beef in this low carb cheeseburger casserole recipe, however you can use ground turkey or chicken as well. Just be sure to cook the meat completely before adding it in.
You can also turn this into low carb bacon cheeseburger casserole by sprinkling bacon bits on top or mixing them into the veggies or beef.
Cheese – My cheese of choice here is mozzarella, but any shredded cheese will do. You can also add cream cheese to the meat mixture for an even creamier dish! (Low carb ground beef recipes cream cheese are out of this world!!)
Pork rinds – Instead of using bread crumbs, I like to substitute them with crushed pork rinds. They have the same crunchy texture, except pork rinds don’t have the carbs! (and they taste bacon-ish!)
Toppings – Think of your favorite burger toppings, and go WILD!
I like serving cheeseburger casserole with pickles diced on top because (in my opinion) burgers and pickles are a match made in heaven! Green onions are another “must” in my book.
Tools To Make
There’s nothing crazy in terms of tools! Here’s all you’ll need:
- Large pan to sautee veggies and brown the meat
- Casserole dish
- Rolling pin to crush pork rinds
Save a dish by baking this low carb cheeseburger casserole skillet style! Simply saute your veggies in a skillet, and layer the casserole in there once you’re done with your prep.
You can easily pop this low carb cheeseburger casserole recipe into the fridge in an airtight container! Reheating is best done in the oven (to re-crisp the top), but a microwave will do.
Can You Freeze This?
To freeze this low carb cheeseburger casserole recipe, bake it as directed and let it cool. I like to freeze individual slices in freezer bags, that way I have preportioned meals ready to go.
To reheat a portion, stick it in the oven on a rimmed baking sheet for 15-20 minutes or until thoroughly warmed. You can use aluminum foil to keep the top from burning.
Meal Prepping Tips
If you’re planning ahead for some healthy dinner ideas during the week, I’d suggest storing this low carb cheeseburger casserole recipe in individual serving portions and storing the toppings separately… This will make it ultra-convenient for meal preps, and you’ll be all set with tasty dinners!
A casserole is pretty customizable because, hello, what doesn’t taste delicious when baked with meat and cheese?!
- Add more veggies. Feel free to add a layer of thinly sliced zucchinis between the veggie and meat layers, just be sure to “sweat” the zucchini before tossing them in. This will add more nutrients and depth of flavor. (Check out these zucchini enchiladas to give you an idea). Or try this low carb green bean casserole instead!
- Use different types of meat. You can try a low carb chicken casserole by using cubed chicken breasts. Or to keep a similar texture to ground beef, make ground chicken casserole. I promise it’ll taste fantastic!
- Make this spicy. You can add paprika, chili powder, or jalapenos to kick it up a notch! Feel free to use taco seasoning for simplicity—you’ll have a delicious low carb taco casserole! (I can never say no to a low carb Mexican casserole spiced cheeseburger casserole.)
- Add more cheese. Can’t get enough mozzarella? I’m with you! I can’t stop making this low carb cheeseburger casserole because of my love for cheese.yuuuuum! Another all time family favorite that’s loaded with cheese: zucchini lasagna and cabbage lasagna.
Low Carb Cheeseburger CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Bell Pepper diced
- 3 Cups Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1.2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Eggs whisked
- 2 Lbs Ground Beef
- 1 15 Ounce Can Can of Tomato Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Swerve or Lakanto (see sweetener notes below) granular
- 3 Cups Mozzarella shredded
- 2 Cups Pork Rinds crushed*
- Pickles diced
- Green Onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare an 8x8 casserole dish (I used an 8" round casserole dish) with cooking spray.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Cook until veggies are soft, and the liquid from the mushrooms has cooked off.
- Place veggies in the prepared casserole dish in an even layer.
- Pour whisked eggs on top.
- Add 1 cup of cheese, and stir to combine with veggies and eggs to form a "crust".
- Add beef to the pan and cook until no longer pink -- breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add tomato sauce, garlic powder, erythritol, and sriracha to the pan and stir to combine.
- Bring the heat in the pan to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until hardly any liquid is left. It should look like a sloppy joe type consistency.
- Add meat to the casserole dish in an even layer.
- Sprinkle mozzarella, then crushed pork rinds on top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Allow casserole to cool slightly before slicing. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Healthy casseroles are super easy to throw together! Here are some other popular recipes:
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Healthy Breakfast Casserole
- Low Carb Breakfast Casserole
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
This low carb cheeseburger casserole recipe is a beloved recipe in my house, and I have no doubt that it’s about to become a favorite in yours, too!
Let me know what you think in the comments below! How did you like the pork rinds? Did you try adding any extra vegetables?