I love a cheeseburger. I love a casserole. So you know I love keto cheeseburger casserole. Meaty, Cheesy, Crave-worthy Casserole. Easy to customize toppings just like traditional burgers-this is a fun choice to serve a crowd. And like all good casseroles—it makes outstanding leftovers, so feel free to make it just for you.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
Mama’s Little Helper
I gotta be honest. I set out to create this recipe because I received so many requests for an easy cheeseburger casserole. I knew if I was going to make a version for you, I needed to do what I always do when it comes to classic comfort food. I started with my Mom’s version.
Mom’s has a pasta base—so that was the biggest adaptation. I kept testing ratios—you know I love to test a recipe—but it still wasn’t quite right. I didn’t want this to be a run-of-the-mill, drive-thru burger casserole. I wanted this to be the cheeseburger hot dish of your dreams!
So here’s what makes it for me—Customize. Your. Toppings. The first time I added fresh tomato and some diced pickles was a game-changer. Now it’s my favorite casserole, ever.
I encourage you to get creative. Set out toppings and spreads in all flavors and textures. Mustard and Pickles. Mushroom and Swiss. Bacon Bits. I’ve got a thing for pork rinds. (trust me.) Everything goes.
Make it different every time or come up with your own custom classic. Just let me know what you try in the comments below! 🍔 – Linds x
Ingredient Notes + Swaps
- Mild tasting oil with a high smoke point – avocado oil is my fave
- Keto vegetables: onion, bell pepper, mushrooms. Mix in anything you love here (keto cheeseburger casserole with cauliflower rice, spinach, etc.)
- Eggs – this helps to form our “crust”
- Ground beef or ground turkey
- Tomato sauce
- Sriracha – doesn’t add spice, rather some flavor. Add more for some heat!
- Garlic powder
- Swerve or Lakanto – a little sweetener to take down the bitterness of tomato sauce
- Mozzarella – or use your favorite: cheddar cheese, swiss, or pepper jack
- Pork rinds – optional but a great gluten-free option for crunch
- Pickles are a must, they really bring this low carb cheeseburger casserole to the next level
Other Cheeseburger Casserole Keto Toppings:
In addition to pork rinds and pickles, feel free to top this keto cheeseburger casserole recipe with all your burger faves. Some ideas:
- Green, yellow or pickled onions
- Diced tomatoes (skip to keep net carb count low)
- Keto ketchup
- Shredded lettuce
- Or serve with my keto hamburger buns
How to Make Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
- Saute the veggies in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place in an 8×8 baking dish, along with 1 cup of cheese and eggs. Toss to combine.
- Cook beef in the same skillet, breaking it into small pieces as it browns.
- Add tomato sauce, garlic powder, Lakanto/Swerve, sriracha, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken for about 7 minutes.
- Pour the ground beef mixture into the casserole dish over the base layer.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake your low carb cheeseburger casserole in the preheated oven.
- Sprinkle pork rinds and pickles on top before serving, and enjoy!
Store your keto cheeseburger casserole in the fridge in an airtight container, and reheat in the microwave before serving.
I like to store the crushed pork rinds on the side and sprinkle them over the top before serving to maximize their crunchiness. This low carb cheeseburger casserole makes for great meal prep!
Casseroles are pretty customizable because, hello, what doesn’t taste delicious when baked with meat and cheese?! So feel free to customize this dish as you would a burger at a burger bar:
- Keto bacon cheeseburger casserole – add some cooked, crisped, and crumbled bacon to the meat layer, or as a topping.
- Keto hamburger casserole – ditch the cheese topping. If avoiding cheese altogether, you can skip the cheese in the base.
- Ground chicken casserole – simply swap beef for ground chicken.
- Adjust the seasoning (in the meat combo) – We’re essentially making sugar-free ketchup, so adjust to your liking. Think onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, MORE sriracha, etc.
More Keto Casserole Recipes
- Keto Zucchini Lasagna
- Cabbage Lasagna
- Keto Spaghetti Squash
- Zucchini Enchiladas
- Keto Eggplant Lasagna
Keto Cheeseburger CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Bell Pepper diced
- 3 Cups Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Eggs whisked
- 2 pounds Ground Beef or turkey
- 1 15 Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Granular Swerve or Lakanto
- 3 Cups Mozzarella shredded
- 2 Cups Pork Rinds crushed - optional (note 1)
- 3/4 cup Pickles chopped (note 2)
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare an 8x8 casserole dish (I used an 8" round casserole dish) with cooking spray.
- Saute veggies. Heat avocado/vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add diced onion, diced bell peppers, and sliced mushrooms. Cook until veggies are soft, and the liquid from the mushrooms has cooked off.
- Assemble. Place veggies in the prepared casserole dish in an even layer and mix in 1 cup of cheese. Once the veggies have cooled slightly, pour the whisked eggs on top, and stir to combine.
- Cook beef. Add ground beef or turkey to the pan and cook until no longer pink -- breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Add tomato sauce, garlic powder, erythritol, sriracha, salt, and pepper to the pan and stir to combine. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until hardly any liquid is left. When done, the meat will have a sloppy joe consistency.
- Assemble + Bake. Add meat to the casserole dish in an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining 2 cups of mozzarella on top. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Sprinkle crushed pork rinds (if using) and sliced pickles on top before serving and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- To crush the pork rinds, place them in a large resealable bag, seal it, then hit the bag with a rolling pin until they've reached a bread-crumb-like size.
- Pickles - Opt for dill pickles, and check labels to ensure they're sugar free.