This ground chicken casserole is the easiest, tastiest, low carb-iest dinner your whole family will enjoy!
A delicious, crowd pleasing way to feed the crew without dirtying a ton of dishes or spending too much time in the kitchen. It’s so good, you won’t even notice the low carb vegetables amidst the cream cheese, sauce and protein.
Ground chicken casserole is perfect for weeknight dinners and low carb meal prep alike — so turn on that oven and let’s get baking!
How to Make ground chicken casserole
I wanted to make this ground chicken casserole as low carb as possible — which means, I decided not to make a ground chicken casserole cream mushroom, a ground chicken casserole pasta, or a ground chicken casserole rice.
SO, if you’re sticking to low carb foods and you LOVE low carb Mexican food, then this ground chicken casserole is for you! The instructions below are pretty straight forward — here are a few additional tips to help make this ground chicken casserole even tastier:
Sauté Your Veggies!
It’s important to cook both the keto vegetables in this “crust” before adding them to the casserole dish. Cooking the onion will create a slightly sweeter, more balanced flavor — while cooking the cauliflower rice will help release excess liquid.
Layering The Cheese
To keep this ground chicken casserole low carb, we’ll be using cheese as a binding agent. And, because cheese is so freggin’ delicious, I like to add a layer between the veggies and ground chicken to maximize the flavor!
Breaking Up Your Ground Chicken
Just like cooking any sort of ground meat, you’ll want to break up the ground chicken with the back of a spoon while cooking and stirring it in your pan.
Let’s be honest, this can be a rather arduous task.
Which is where this ground meat chopper comes in. It saves a ton of time and energy! If you don’t have room for an extra kitchen utensil, I suggest using the tip of a week spoon or spatula.
Cooking The Chicken in Water/Sauce.
To maximize you chicken’s juiciness in this healthy ground chicken casserole, you’ll want to cook the chicken together with the water and spice mix before adding it to your casserole dish.
I used my low carb taco seasoning for this ground chicken casserole keto — feel free to swap it with store bought (if you don’t mind the added carbs) or your own version.
Ground Chicken Recipes Variations
Here are a few swaps and variations using this ground chicken recipes base:
- Swap the cauliflower rice for broccoli rice, or regular rice (if you’d like to add some carbs to this ground chicken casserole). If opting for regular rice, be sure to cook it before adding it in.
- Mix up your vegetables! Ground chicken broccoli casserole would be delicious, or (if you’d like to add some carbs to the dish), try making ground chicken and potato casserole!
- Swap the ground chicken for beef, pork or turkey if you’d prefer.
- Cover this ground chicken casserole with your favorite cheese —pepper jack would be delicious!
4. Make ground chicken tacos Instead
If you’d prefer tacos, consider serving the ground chicken without rice, stuffed inside low carb tortillas or lettuce wraps!
Meal Prepping ground chicken casserole
You know I love my low carb meal prep!
I made a huuuuuuge batch of this ground chicken casserole for a dinner party that was cancelled — which basically made me the luckiest girl in the world, because 1. I didn’t have to host anymore, and 2. I have a year’s supply of ground chicken casserole portions in my freezer!
As with most of the low carb recipes on this site, I suggest portioning out this meal, placing it in resealable bags, labeling those bags with the date/recipe, and tossing them into the freezer.
Next time you’re craving ground chicken casserole, just pop it in the oven to defrost!
ground chicken casserole Serving Suggestions
- Slice avocados
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Avocado Sauce
- Chopped Cilantro
ground chicken casserole Recipe
I hope you guys enjoy this ground chicken casserole recipe! Let me know what you think in the comments below — did you make any swaps or try any of the variations?
Ground Chicken CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoon Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 1 Red Onion diced
- 32 Ounces Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1.2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Lbs Ground Chicken
- 1/4 Cup Low Carb Taco Seasoning
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese cubed
- 3 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 F and prepare an 8x8 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add diced red onions. Cook for 6 minutes, or until soft.
- Add riced cauliflower, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, just until it begins to soften.
- Add veggies to prepare casserole dish in an even layer.
- Cover with 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil in the same pan over medium heat.
- Add ground chicken, and break up using the back of a spoon. Cook until no longer pink.
- Add diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, water, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine and bring combo to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for for 5-7 minutes, or until hardly any liquid is left.
- Turn off heat and add cubed cream cheese — Stir until melted and fully combined.
- Add chicken and veggie combo in an even layer to the casserole dish.
- Cover with 2 Cups of shredded cheddar.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Allow to cool, serve with avocado, cilantro and enjoy!
ground chicken burgers
Using ground chicken to make burgers is surprisingly delicious! I use a generous amount of cheese to help bind the ground chicken burgers ingredients together.
I also love throwing in a grated onion (with the liquid removed) to maximize juiciness.
ground chicken meatballs
Same process as above, cheese is your best friend when making juicy ground chicken meatballs! Toss in Italian seasoning and you’ll be a happy camper.
ground chicken meatloaf
Try making ground chicken meatloaf to satisfy your comfort food cravings! Since chicken is a drier meat than beef, be sure to add plenty of liquid so your dinner doesn’t become too dry.
ground chicken chili
My favorite of all is ground chicken chili — I love adding salsa verde and cream cheese. Skip the beans or add pinto for a tasty treat!