This senorita needs a low carb margarita! Nothing says summer like a couple of delicious low carb cocktails!
Cheers to upping your low carb drinks game with a few simple ingredient swaps, and of course, some low carb alcohol.
See my low carb recipes below to find your new favorite bevie! Psst- the low carb margarita is a crowd-pleaser, guaranteed to elicit multiple recipe requests!
Let’s get mixing!
This is my summer “go-to” low carb margarita recipe! Here is why you want to make this cocktail tonight:
- Four simple ingredients (not including the water + ice!) will have you mixing up a Mexican vacation in a glass faster than you can say FIESTA! (There is nothing more frustrating than a recipe that has a million ingredients, this is not that recipe!)
- If it’s easy, quick, low-carb and delicious? Sign.Me.Up.
- It is also sooooo easy to customize this low carb margarita recipe to create your perfect drink!
Here’s the skinny on everything you need to know about this skinny margarita:
Traditionally, a margarita is high in sugar and uses up an ENTIRE day’s worth of calories and sugar – in just ONE drink! Eek, that kills my celebration vibe.
BUT my recipe subs out the yuckies, so I can toss that marg mix in the trash and releases my inner party girl back on the scene!
Here is all you need to whip up your own low carb margarita in just four simple ingredients:
Tequila – Blanco tequila works best for mixed drinks, but with these incredibly tasty mix-ins, most of us won’t taste a difference!
Orange extract – This pumps up the flavor and smells sooooo amazing. It’s also waaaaay better for you than those sweet orange liqueurs typically used in margaritas: Cointreau, Triple sec, Grand Marnier. PLUS! It’s cheaper than them too! Win-Win!
Erythritol – Keto sweeteners are a great substitute for processed sugar and the secret to this sugar free margarita mix. Swerve and Lakanto are my personal faves as they tastes (almost) like sugar but without all the, well, sugar!
You can adjust the amount of erythritol to your taste.
Lime – Brings some extra citrus zest and punch to the party.
PRO TIP: rub some lime around the edge of the glass for extra flavor and fun. This is also how we adhere the salt to the rim.
Tools To Make
Really all you will need is a trusty cocktail shaker and strainer. But what if you don’t have a cocktail shaker?! Don’t even fret! You can easily create a makeshift one with:
- A mason jar
- To-go coffee mug
- An exercise water bottle (a stainless steel kind would be best)
Add all the ingredients and ice into your cocktail shaker, shake vigorously above your shoulder until the outside of the shaker gets frosty. Pour, cheers and drink! For fun, learn additional bartender “signature shake styles” here.
Shaking your cocktail actually serves a purpose, it makes your drinks nice and cold for starters. Ahhh, so refreshing! In addition, the ice also plays a key part in slightly diluting all the ingredients into a cohesive, smooth delicious flavor!
They’re also the perfect compliment to tacos! Mix up your favorite filling and serve them inside my almond flour tortillas for a low carb meal everyone will love.
Here are a few low carb margarita variations to consider;
- Add fruits. Low carb fruits are a delicious addition to all.the.cocktails. My personal fave here is strawberries for a low carb strawberry margarita. Just muddle along with the limes!
- Make it spicy. Add jalapeno to the mix and muddle it along with the limes!
- Add fresh herbs. Basil and/or mint are delicious additions to this low carb margarita.
- Swap alcohol. Tequila isn’t your thing? You can use whatever you prefer here — using rum would make more of a keto mojito, or swap tequila for vodka for a drink with keto moscow mule vibes.
Low Carb MargaritaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Add quartered lime to a cocktail shaker and muddle to release the juices.
- Add erythritol, tequila, water, orange extract, and ice. Cover cocktail shaker with the lid and shake until the shaker becomes frosty.
- OPTIONAL (make a salt rim): pour kosher salt on a plate (enough salt for the diameter of your glass). Rub a lime wedge around the edge of the glass, then dip in the salt.
- Fill glass with ice, then the cocktail. Serve with a lime, and enjoy!
Here are more of my favorite adult beverages that I love to whip up when entertaining at home:
- Low Carb Mulled Wine. The most comforting of cocktails.
- Low Carb Martini. Three words: Low Carb Chocotini.
- Keto Eggnog. What are the holidays without this drink?!
- Keto White Russian. So creamy and delicious!
- Low Carb Cosmopolitan. Because most of us grew up watching Sex and the City…
Now that you are a low carb margarita mixologist, I’d love your thoughts on the drink, if you customized it or had any additional add-ins to share, leave me a comment below with the deets! Cheers my friend!