Ahhh, is there anything better than a Keto White Russian?! I am fairly confident there is no combination more superior than coffee, booze and cream!! I’ll cheers to that!
There is also nothing better than signature low carb cocktails that have simple ingredients, without the extra junk added (I’m looking at you, corn syrup & sugar) These sweet additives only aid in a more ferocious hangover the next day, no thanks.
I for one, vote for the healthy drinks or at least the “healthier” low carb drinks versus the traditional ones! See below for some of my favorite low carb recipes!
What isn’t to love about this Keto White Russian recipe?! Here are a few things that keep me coming back to this tried and true recipe:
- The sweetness of this drink satisfies my sweet tooth cravings!
- It’s a perfectly smooth and creamy cocktail!
- Minimal ingredients! Just simply stir in 4 ingredients plus water and voila! You’ll be clinking glasses with a delicious bevie in no time!
- You can also customize it to whatever you have on hand (like all my recipes!).
- Last but certainly not least, it keeps me on track! Just because I’m imbibing cocktails, does not mean I have to let my low carb lifestyle fall to the wayside!
Here’s everything you need to know to mix up your own Keto White Russian this weekend!
A traditional White Russian is usually made with the coffee liqueur, Kahlua, which is packed with sugar, Arabica coffee, caramel color, vanilla, and rum and/or vodka. It is a syrupy, sugar bom!! A 2.5 serving size (equal to 2 shot glasses) contains a whopping 214 calories and 33 grams of sugar and carbohydrates!
However, my Keto White Russian recipe maintains the classic White Russian flavor profile but with a spin of less sugar, carbs and additives! My recipe below has only ONE gram of sugar in a 2.5 fluid ounce serving! Now that is something to celebrate!
Here are my Keto White Russian ingredients broken down:
- Vodka – One of the lowest calorie alcoholic options aaaand its naturally carb and sugar free! Yeaaaah!
- Cold Brew Coffee – Use your favorite brand or whatever you have readily available. There are so many good ones to choose from these days. Bulletproof Cold Brew Coffee is a personal fave that I get on Amazon (it also is cheaper to buy it in bulk). Its other notable perks: it contains zero sugar (which means no sugar crashes!), it’s keto friendly and it is a clean option with no yucky additives!
- Powdered erythritol or Liquid stevia – It’s diabetes friendly and doesn’t spike blood sugar! FYI for you newbies: it has a “cooling effect” comparable to that of mint (which I personally happen to like, especially in a cocktail!) but it may not be for everyone. Try it and let me know what you think!
HACK: if you only have granulated erythritol, you can easily convert it into a powder by mixing it into your coffee grinder, blender or food processor!
You could also use liquid stevia or monk fruit as sweeteners, depending on your preference. Learn the pros and cons of them here.
- Heavy cream – YUM. I loveeeee the cream in this but if you are looking for additional healthy alternative, you could add in coconut milk, which is high in fat and low in carbs. You can even buy it canned so that you always have some on hand for a much needed, last minute drink. Almond milk could also work as a good substitute.
Tools To Make
A cocktail shaker and strainer are all you need! However, you can still make an awesome drink without all the bells and whistles by just using a stainless steel water bottle or really any container with a lid (mason jars are perfect).
After that, all you need to do is:
- Add your ingredients to your cocktail shaker with ice (this step is key to a delicious chilled drink!)
- Shake it up
- Strain the liquid into cocktail glasses (leaving the ice behind in the strainer)
- Repeat steps 1-4.
Store leftovers in the fridge but drink soon for optimal freshness!
The fun is just beginning! Check out other satisfying ways to jazz up my Keto White Russian cocktail below:
Can I Make This With Rum?
You can absolutely switch out the vodka for rum! It is all based on your personal preference of spirits.
Aaaaand if you are switching out the vodka for rum, why not switch the drink up entirely by making my keto mojito?! Just get some mint, lime juice and some club soda for yet another refreshing drink that feels like a vacation in a glass!
Can I Make This With Whiskey?
Same as above, use what you have or what you prefer. Just remember that you are moving from the vodka calorie free territory into drinks with a higher caloric content. Use a quality whiskey for better taste and less hangover potential.
If you want a more classic, old school drink (great for a nightcap), I recommend mixing up a Keto Old Fashioned into your repertoire! Skip the nasty pre-made drink mix! All you need is bourbon, bitters, your fave keto sweetener and soda water (use La Croix Orange flavor for a low carb option). Add a fresh orange slice or Maraschino cherry for some extra garnish pizazz!
Another enjoyable citrus based drink to sip on is a low carb whiskey sour. Break out that bourbon again and add some fresh lemon (or lime) juice, your fave keto sweetener, sparkling water and orange/ lime slices and/or Maraschino cherries to completely elevate the drink. Adding a raw egg white is optional but a cool, pro move. Be open to trying new things!
Can I Turn This Into A Warm Cocktail?
Yes, absolutely! Just sub the Cold Brew for some good ole’ piping coffee and hold the ice. It would be a fun way to kick the weekend off! Treat yourself!
If warming cocktails are your jam or you just want to escape the freezing temps outside, try my low carb mulled wine for the ultimate in cozy cocktail making! Nothing brings on the holidays like a seasonal, curated cocktail. This is an easy one for entertaining.
I like to leave it warming on the stove top (on a low setting) with a ladle inside the pot for my guests to replenish as they please. The orange peel and cinnamon sticks make it extra fancy and festive!
Speaking of festive, it’s not officially the holidays until I have had my Keto Eggnog! Mmmmm, it’s like drinking Christmas in a glass. Bring on the pure nostalgia and cheer.
Can I Mix in Chocolate?
Can you mix chocolate in?! OF COURSE you can! Life happens, chocolate helps. What can’t be cured with sweet chocolate??! Add anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon (taste test to your preference) of Dutch process cocoa powder to add some richness to your life and your Keto White Russian drink!
Another chocolate cocktail up my sleeve, is my Chocolate Low Carb Martini. It is pure decadent, cocoa goodness but without the carb and sugar guilt! Feel free to toss a couple back and enjoy! There’s nothing like drinking your dessert, like an adult!
Can I Make This With Tequila?
I love tequila but I’m not sure I would add it to this drink. However, if you are having a hankering for tequila… look no further than my low carb margarita! It’s the perfect summer refreshment to hit the spot!
Keto White Russian
- 1 1/2 Ounces Vodka
- 1 Tablespoon Cold Brew unsweetened
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 Teaspoon Erythritol powdered*
- 3 Ounces Heavy Cream
- Add vodka, cold brew, water and erythritol to a rocks glass, and stir until erythritol dissolves.
- Add ice, and pour heavy cream over the top. Enjoy!
In case you still need more low carb alcohol inspiration, here is a fab list for beating the summer heat!
I hope you enjoy my simple, low carb, Keto White Russian cocktail! Please leave your comments below on what you thought or if you have any other cocktails you’d like me to transform into healthier options!