Kick-off your mornings with a low carb green smoothie!
In my low carb recipes, I like to use a few simple swaps that can make a big difference in a low carb lifestyle. For example, instead of using bananas, I use avocados, which have less than half the amount of carbs while still adding incredible texture and flavor to the smoothie.
Let me show you just how easy this treat is to throw together!
What’s not to love?! Full of creamy goodness and body-loving nutrients, low carb green smoothies are:
- An easy way to get an extra serving of veggies
- Filling, so you won’t be hungry throughout the day
- Convenient to meal prep
- Super quick to blend and go!
With only 5 minutes needed to prep and blend the ingredients, this recipe is a life-saver for busy days. Healthy smoothies are also customizable which helps keep them exciting!
This low carb green smoothie calls for some basic ingredient subs from a typical smoothie recipe. The small changes make a world of difference in carb content, while still providing all the health benefits you want from a green smoothie!
Avocados – Bananas are commonly used in smoothies to add a creamy texture, however, they’re loaded in carbs (27g per medium banana to be exact). For this reason, I much prefer to use avocados, which are SUPER creamy and the PERFECT texture.
Low carb milk – Unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk are our faves.
Protein powder – is the key to sweetening and adding protein to this low carb green smoothie. Make sure you’re using a powder that you like the taste of, AND that’s low in carbs (surprising, I know, but many protein powders are loaded with carbs).
Check out this guide to low carb protein powder for my top tasting picks!
Vegetables – Opt for subtle tasting low carb vegetables such as kale or spinach. I like to stash a giant bag of these greens in the freezer to help cool down our smoothies!
Meal Prepping Tips
Freeze the ingredients in individual serving sized baggies.
Grab a few airtight bags, throw all the solid ingredients together, then freeze them. When you’re craving a low carb green smoothie, take it out of the freezer and add milk to blend! Voila!
You can customize this low carb green smoothie to suit your needs and/or taste buds. Here are a few options to consider:
- Add some low carb fruits. Frozen berries such as raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries (for a low carb strawberry smoothie) are the perfect addition to smoothies.
- Switch the flavor of protein powder. You can use chocolate for a chocolate shake! Although, I find most protein powders start to taste artificial past vanilla and chocolate.
- Add more protein. This low carb green smoothie already has a scoop of protein powder (amount of protein varies based on product), but you can easily turn this into a low carb protein shake with more. Consider adding an additional scoop of protein, or adding low carb nuts/seeds, such as protein-packed hemp seeds or almonds.
- Add nut butter for more protein, fat, and a bit of extra flava. My favorite is PB for a low carb peanut butter smoothie!
- Get decadent with a low carb milkshake by topping your smoothie with whipped cream. It makes for a surprisingly delicious dessert!
Low Carb Green SmoothiePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Add ingredients to a blender (in the order listed above to prevent the blender from jamming) + blend!
- Pour into 2 glasses, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Low carb green smoothies are so easy, and they never get old. Let me know in the comments below what you think, and enjoy!