Whether you’re lounging on a Caribbean white sand beach, training for a marathon, or soaking up some fluorescent light rays at work, I’m willing to bet that your mood would improve with a glass of this low carb blueberry smoothie in hand.
It’s no secret. Low carb smoothies are the best way to start the day!
The cold, creamy texture. The refreshing, fruity sweetness. The portable, no prep convenience! Low carb breakfast should always be this perfect!
I’m delighted to share this blueberry smoothie with you! I hope it’s one of the low carb drinks that brings a spark of summer-sunshine joy, wherever you may be.
Bright, refreshing, cooling, and delicious, here are all the reasons why you should make this low carb blueberry smoothie TODAY!
- This breakfast actually makes me excited to get out of bed in the mornings, ah!
- Takes 5 minutes to make from scratch, and even less if you meal prep and freeze the ingredients in resealable baggies.
- This treat legit tastes like a low carb milkshake! Without any of the guilt…
Smoothies are SO easy to throw together! Here’s everything you need to know (which isn’t much) about this low carb blueberry smoothie:
Making a low carb blueberry smoothie is possible with a smart mix of ingredients. Add more protein (or a vegan source of protein) with a tablespoon of hemp seeds or almond butter.
Fruit – When making smoothies, it’s important to opt for low carb fruits (primarily berries!) and measure the quantity to keep your carb count down (it’s easy to overboard here!)
Protein powder – Low carb protein powder is an awesome way to add protein and sweetness to recipes, with hardly any carbs. Make sure you like the flavor of your protein powder, as it will make or break this low carb protein shake!
Personal preference — I can’t stand the taste of pea protein powder (which is included in most plant-based protein powders) — I much prefer vanilla-flavored whey protein powder.
Milk – I switch between light almond and coconut low carb milk.
Additional ingredients – Unsweetened shredded coconut adds healthy fats and satiating power, while mild-tasting low carb vegetables are easy to sneak in for an extra dose of greens. I like to store spinach and kale in the freezer for this very purpose!
This low carb blueberry smoothie is oh-so-easy to customize! Add whatever twist you’re feeling, here are a few ideas:
- Add avocado and turn this into a low carb green smoothie. Not just for the healthy fat, but also for it’s creamy and delicious flavor. BONUS POINTS: avocado is high in fiber and low in net carbs.
- Add low carb Greek yogurt into the mix. Originally, I made this smoothie with Greek yogurt but updated the recipe as blueberries and Greek yogurt add carbs to the equations. That said, these 2 ingredients go together SO WELL! So if it works with your meal plan, go for it!
- Turn this into a low carb breakfast smoothie bowl by adding less liquid and more ice and/or avocado. Top with some freshly sliced fruit and low carb granola, and eat with a spoon!
- Add nut butter or low carb nuts. Not only will they make your low carb blueberry smoothie extra creamy, but the fat will help to keep you full longer.
Blueberry SmoothiePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Cup Spinach or greens. (the sweetness from the fruit helps to mask this!)
- Put all ingredients into a blender in the order listed above and blend.
- Top with coconut, hemp seeds, or whatever you'd like. Enjoy!
I don’t know about you, but this girl need an exciting breakfast to motivate her out of bed in the mornings… otherwise… my bed is just too comfy to leave! Here are a few other recipes I rely on:
- Low Carb Breakfast Muffins. Basically bacon cups, stuffed with cheese and an egg baked in the center — ohhh ya.
- Low Carb Quiche. When you’re feeling classy.
- Low Carb Biscuits. Just as buttery and fluffy as the traditional kind.
- Low Carb Breakfast Casserole. Sausage, cheese and egg, oh my!
- Low Carb Blueberry Muffins. Like this smoothie, but in fluffy muffin form.
Get your smoothie on friends! And come back to let me know your thoughts. Was this low carb blueberry smoothie everything I said it would be? Did it give your step some extra pep? ENJOY!