This 5 ingredient low carb tortilla chips recipes makes LEGIT crispy chips!
Crunchy and perfect for dipping, low carb chips have never tasted better! There’s no need to give up the best part of Mexican food when it’s easy to whip up low carb recipes like this one…
Let’s get cooking!
This low carb tortilla chips recipe can be served with dips or can be added to low carb meals for a nice, satisfying crunch. Seriously — there’s no way to go wrong with them!
I might be a little biased, but I think these are the BEST low carb tortilla chips because:
- They only take 35 minutes to make
- Just 5 ingredients
- No cheese added! Most recipes for low carb tortilla chips are 100% cheese, which (in my opinion) makes them weird to use for nachos or to dip in nacho cheese sauce.
- They’re perfect for snacking and meal prep
To make these low carb tortilla chips, we’ll use my (awesome!) almond flour tortillas recipe and modify the cooking method. Here’s what you need to know:
Almond Flour – Using a fine-grained almond flour will give you the most flour-like texture — I prefer Bob’s Red Mill, Trader Joe’s or Costco brands for this.
Almond flour is an amazing flour substitute, but since it’s gluten-free, it’s lacking the natural binding abilities of gluten (the protein found in wheat flour) which is why we add…
Xanthan Gum – This is the “glue” that keeps our tortilla chips together! I know it seems like a “skippable” ingredient since it’s use in such small quantities, but leaving this ingredient out would prevent our tortillas from sticking together.
Water – You’ll want to adjust the amount of water you add based on the consistency of the dough, which will vary depending on the size of your egg. You want the dough to form into a ball without crumbling. Between 2-4 teaspoons should do the trick!
Tools To Make
The tools you’ll need to make these low carb tortilla chips will vary, depending on the cooking method you use:
- Parchment paper to sandwich the dough for clean rolling.
- Rolling pin to get our crackers nice and thin – the dough should just be transparent.
- Pizza cutter for cutting the chips.
- Large skillet for the fried variation.
- Tongs to flip the chips in our fried variation.
- Baking pan you’ll want this for the fried and baked variation.
Stash your low carb chips in an airtight container in the fridge — I usually stash them in a resealable bag with all the air removed, or check out this nifty how-to for preventing your chips from getting stale!
We can’t get enough of these chips! Here are a few ways we LOVE to serve them:
- To dip into salsa, guacamole, pico, OR! low carb nacho cheese.
- As low carb nachos! Simple sprinkle with your favorite toppings and cheese, then bake in the oven until the cheese just melts.
- As a crunchy topping for soups and salads, such as low carb taco soup or low carb taco salad.
Looking for something a little different? Here are a few ideas to try:
- Cover the chips in your seasoning of choice. Low carb taco seasoning is a delicious option, as is nutritional yeast for a cheesy take, or lime zest and salt.
- Make a sweet version like “churro chips” by sprinkling them in erythritol and cinnamon (skip the salt topping).
- Make this recipe with cheese instead of the ingredients below. Now, I know this suggestion is for a totally different recipe, but I know some of you may prefer this, so I wanted to throw it out there. Use my cheese crackers recipe and cut the “dough” into triangle shapes instead.
Low Carb Tortilla ChipsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add water, egg, and apple cider vinegar. Stir until everything is thoroughly combined. Depending on the size of your egg, you may need to add an additional teaspoon of water -- only do this if the dough doesn't stick together.
- Divide the dough into 3 balls.
- Roll each ball between 2 sheets of parchment paper using a rolling pin until the dough is even and just transparent.
- Cut the chips into triangle shapes.
For Fried Chips:
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prep a large skillet with 1/2" of vegetable oil over high heat. Place a paper towel on a large plate, and place salt on the side
- Once the vegetable oil is hot, drop 4 chips at a time into the oil, and allow them to cook on each side for 3-5 seconds. This will happen quickly, so be ready to flip and remove the chips to the paper towel lined plate.
- While the chips are still hot, sprinkle with salt.
- Repeat these steps until you've fried all the chips.
- Place chips on a cooling rack nestled inside a rimmed baking sheet, and cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the chips to cool on the cooling rack - they will continue to crisp as they cool!
For Baked Chips:
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread chips onto the baking sheet, leaving a little space between each chip.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then flip the chips and bake for another 7 minutes.
- While chips are still hot, spray them with cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt. Allow them to cool on the baking sheet, and enjoy!
Can’t get enough low carb Mexican food?? Me neither! Check out these recipes to curb your cravings:
- Low carb walking tacos. Who needs Fritos when we’ve got these equally crispy low carb tortilla chips!
- Ground chicken tacos. SO juicy! You’ll never know they’re made from chicken.
- Cheese taco shells. These 1 ingredient taco shells are a MUST MAKE!
- Zucchini enchiladas. Low carb, creamy, and FULL of flava!
- Low carb taco casserole. A few simple tweaks to the classic keep this family favorite on the menu.
This low carb tortilla chips recipe is super simple but endlessly rewarding! Treat yourself by making these dippable snacks!
Let me know what you think in the comments below! Did you eat them with a dip or make nachos? Enjoy!