Favorite fried food… GO! Welp, I certainly hope you said fried pickles because today I’ll be sharing my absolute FAVORITE of fried food recipes… low carb fried pickles!
If you like crunchy, salty bites, you’re going to adore these for low carb side dishes alongside your low carb fried chicken (or whatever you’re serving).
You might be thinking – fried pickles?! Friend, listen. Kind of like low carb fries but with extra vinegary zing, these make great low carb appetizers – if you can bring yourself to share. I may or may not 🤷♀️
This low carb recipes proof that basically any food you love can be health-i-fied and delicious…
Let’s get going!
Um… pickles that are FRIED!! Plus…
- Ready in 15 minutes!
- Easy, inexpensive ingredients!!!
- Treated yourself, right at home!
This unforgettable recipe is ready in no time!
Might be a new ingredient or 2 in here, but no worries! They’re all easy to source and inexpensive!
Whey protein isolate, unflavored – this low carb protein powder is a super ingredient for making all sorts of snacks.
I know, many of you may not want to splurge on purchasing this potentially new ingredient. BUT TRUST ME… you won’t regret it. It’s perfect for making all sorts of fried foods (it’s what makes our gluten-free coating “batter-like”). But it’s also an important ingredient in many of my low carb bread recipes (helps add fluff!).
Xanthan gum – This stabilizer is used in a lot of gluten-free cooking to help thicken batters and bind ingredients together. Another low carb staple you’ll use time and time again. And yes, even in VERY small amounts, this stuff works wonders.
Club soda – The carbonation is going to make our batter super nice and light and airy!
Vegetable oil – You’ll need enough of this to get a good inch of oil in whatever pan you are using, so plan accordingly. Vegetable oil is inexpensive and neutral flavored.
This article may help you decide which oil works best for you — although we use peanut oil.
Tools To Make
As if you need another reason to love these low carb fried pickles, it only takes a few basic tools to make them!
- Paper Towels – we’re gonna use a lot of these! First, we need them to dry off our pickles and make it easy for the batter to stick. Then we’re going to let the pickles rest on the paper towels after they’re fried so that any oil blots off.
- Heavy bottom pan – you can use a skillet or a dutch oven or heavy pot, we just want something that can handle the hot oil to fry these babies up.
If you have the tool on hand, you can make air fryer fried pickles instead!
Like most fried foods, these are best served immediately. Storing them would leave you with soggy snacks. If you insist, I’d store them in an airtight container in the fridge and re-crisp them in the oven or toaster oven.
Microwaving will take away all their crispness.
These low carb fried pickles make an amazing afternoon snack or side dish for dinner, or AS dinner, if that aligns with your nutrition goals, ha!
Personally, I like these as a french fries alternative with my low carb hamburger recipes or something like a low carb cheeseburger casserole. Yummm!
Serve with a side of low carb ketchup or ranch for the win!
- If you don’t want to fry these, and don’t have an air fryer, you can always bake these like we do with my low carb fried chicken! But, it needs a different kind of coating, try parmesan and crushed pork rinds. Just a heads up, we did try this (see photo above) and didn’t like the outcome nearly as much, but it’s still an option!
- Want to try some different flavors of low carb fried pickles? You can change up the seasoning however you like! Try garlic and herbs, smoked salt, or whatever you crave.
- If you want to try switching up your sauce, try making some homemade ranch dressing. The flavor combo is utterly addictive.
Low Carb Fried PicklesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Place pickle slices in a single layer on a few sheets of paper towel. Place paper towels on top, and dab up as much liquid as possible (important to get the batter to coat).
- Heat 1" of vegetable oil on high in a heavy bottom pan (I use a skillet). I like to use a smaller pan for this so I don't need as much oil. Alternatively, you can use a deep fryer.
- In a small bowl, combine the whey protein, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, and cajun seasoning.
- Use a rubber spatula to stir in the club soda. The mixture will be wet, but don't worry, it will fry up beautifully!
- Once the oil is hot, add pickles in batches so they aren't overcrowded in the pan. The pickles will look like they don't have much batter on them when you place them in the skillet.
- Flip halfway through. You'll know the pickles are done once they're nice and golden.
- Place fried pickles on a paper towel-lined plate, and continue until you've fried all the pickles.
- Serve immediately (as with most fried food, these get soggy over time) with ranch, and enjoy!
- Zucchini Fries – move aside, taters! These fries are the new boss in town.
- Low Carb Tortilla Chips – Your next fiesta will be complete with these chips!
- Jicama Fries – The crunch on these is INSANE.
- Cauliflower Potato Salad – No one would ever guess you swapped out the carby potatoes in this dish.
- Low Carb Coleslaw – Creamy and zesty – this recipe is outstanding!
I’ll bet these low carb fried pickles become your new favorite! Did you try this recipe?? Tell me what you thought in the comments!