There’s just something about keto crab cakes that makes any day feel like a special occasion. They come together with simple ingredients—just add a little fresh crab and in no time, you can have summer on a plate, any time of year. Make it lunch, a light dinner, or an elegant appetizer!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
Coast to Coast Crab Cakes
It’s no secret that I love being outdoors. And when it comes to summer, there’s nothing better than being at the beach. So every summer, even though we live year-round on the California Coast, we take a trip to South Carolina. And if there’s anything we love more than being at the beach, it’s eating at the beach. These are a copycat version from our favorite vacation restaurant—and every time I make them, it reminds me of being on those southern beaches with my family.
So no matter which coast you’re on—or yearning for —a batch of these keto crab cakes is sure to bring the beach to you. Enjoy! 😎☀️ – Linds x
How to Make Keto Crab Cakes
- Combine everything together in a small bowl.
- Form 6 cakes by shaping them into 2″ thick, round patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pan over medium heat.
- Sear crab cakes on each side until golden.
- Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
The Best Sauce for Crab Cakes
- Is crab meat OK on keto? REAL fresh crab meat is an awesome ingredient for keto recipes, with 0g of carbs per serving. Imitation crab meat on the other hand is loaded with fillers, ranging from starches (potato, wheat, corn, etc.) to soy, to sugar, to sorbitol.
- Are crab cakes high in carbs? The nutritional breakdown of crab cakes will vary based on the recipe. Generally speaking, traditional crab cakes have 5 g of carbs per cake, whereas these low carb crab cakes have 2 g net carbs!
- What is the best crab for crab cakes? I prefer lump crab meat, as this will give you chunky pieces of crab in every bite. Look for a hand/fresh picked crab meat — this means the crab has been picked through to remove cartilage and shells.
- How do you make keto bread crumbs? Breadcrumbs are used in traditional crab cakes as a filler — to make a low carb version (for this recipe), I like a combination of almond flour and ground flax seeds — both keep the net carb count low.
- Is it better to fry or bake keto crab cakes? We fry our gluten free crab cakes. But, if you’d prefer baked keto crab cakes, simply bake for 12-14 minutes in an oven preheated to 450 F.
Storing + Reheating
Once cooled, store your keto crab cakes in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in a hot pan with oil, until heated through, and crisped along the edges.
Don’t get crabby, try this low carb crab cakes recipe whichever way you want! Read below for more ideas and inspiration:
- Make these spicy with more hot sauce, cayenne seasoning, or your fave salsa on top!
- Change the seasoning. A dash of Old Bay seasoning? Some garlic? You do you.
- Substitutes for mayonnaise? Use Greek yogurt instead.
More Keto Appetizer Recipes
Keto Crab CakesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Almond Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Hot Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Pound Fresh lump crab meat (note 1)
- 1/4 Cup Mild Tasting Oil (note 2)
Tartar Sauce (optional):
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup pickles finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon confectioners Swerve or Lakanto
- Mix together ground flax seeds (2 tablespoons), almond flour (2 tablespoons), fresh parsley (1 tablespoon),egg (1), mayonnaise (1/4 cup), hot sauce (1/2 teaspoon), dijon (1 tablespoon), and salt (1/2 teaspoon) in a large bowl. Add the crab meat (1 pound) and gently stir to combine. I like to leave chunks of crab in my cakes, so I mix minimally!
- Scoop the crab mixture using a 1/3 measuring cup. Form 7 small patties, and pat the top so they're 2" thick. The mixture will be slightly wet, so I find this is easiest to place patties on a baking sheet and transfer them to the pan using a spatula.
- Cook. In a large pan, heat the oil (1/4 cup) until shimmering. Add the crab cakes and cook over moderately high heat. Don't overcrowd the pan, you may need to do this in batches depending on your pan size. Cook on each side until golden, about 3-5 minutes. Serve warm, with lemon wedges, fresh parsley, and tartar sauce, and DIG ON IN!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Crab - Lump crab meat. Opt for hand-picked, as it will have fewer shells.
- Oil - You can an oil with a high smoke point that's mild in flavor. Think vegetable or avocado oil.
- Bake instead of fry - In an oven preheated to 450 F for 12-14 minutes.
- Nutritional information is for 1 crab cake if you make 7 using this recipe:
On your phone? Check my web story here.