Cheddar cheese, Italian sausage, and spices, oh my! These low carb sausage balls are perfect for dipping, snacking, appetizer-ing, and don’t have time to make breakfast-ing. Serve them at your next partaaay with other dunkable low carb appetizers, like mozzarella stuffed meatballs, low carb meatballs, really all the meatballs. Let’s roll!
What I Love About These Low Carb Sausage Balls
Ok, so you might be thinking: What the heck is a sausage ball?
The short answer is: magical little love balls of sausage and cheese, made in health-food heaven by teams of carb-conscious, keto-friendly angels. Too much? Juuuuust wait until you taste them.
Cheesy, sausage-y, herbaceous, dippable, and easy to reheat — they’re basically everything you’ve ever craved, all baked into a single bite (or two, if you’ve got fancy manners).
The inspiration for these was my Mom’s sausage ball recipe. As kids, these were the reason we’d sneak into “grown-up” parties. So, I had some pretty big shoes to fill with my low carb version. All I can say is: mission accomplished.
Here’s what to expect before you get baking:
- Quick + easy
- Great for snackin’
- Flexible recipe: feel free to swap the cheese, protein, or spice mix
Keto Sausage Balls Video
Tips + Tricks
Wish I had more to share about these keto sausage balls, but the truth is, they’re EASY!
- Can’t find ground Italian sausage? I always buy Italian sausage and remove the casing with a sharp knife before adding it to the mix.
- Sweet or spicy sausage? That’s up to you. I’ve only tested these keto sausage balls with sweet Italian sausage.
- Use fine-grain almond flour, this will give you the most flour-like texture.
- For accurate nutritional information, be sure to form 36 low carb sausage balls.
Store any leftovers you have in the fridge, and reheat in the microwave at 50% power using 30-second intervals.
We love freezing these low carb sausage balls for easy to grab snacks — just place them in a ziplock and remove as much air as you can before freezing.
Serve these low carb sausage balls warm with a dipping sauce. Some of my favorites are:
But if you have a better dipping suggestion, please, do share!
Here’s how you can switch things up to make these sausage cheese balls uniquely yours:
- Swap cheddar for your favorite shredded cheese.
- Swap the sausage for another ground meat such as ground chicken or turkey — just be sure to add additional seasoning.
- Spice it up. Add some cayenne or hot sauce to give these low carb sausage balls a kick! Or, omit the seasoning and stick to just salt and pepper for a more neutral flavor.
More Low Carb Appetizers
Low Carb Sausage BallsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 F, and prepare a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or cooking spray.
- Combine. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour ( 3 cups), baking powder (1 1/2 tablespoons), salt (1/2 teaspoon), garlic powder (1/2 teaspoon), and oregano (1 teaspoon). Add the heavy cream (1/2 cup) and pork sausage (1 pound) and combine using your hands. Add the grated cheese (16 ounces ) a little at a time, again mixing with your hands until everything is well incorporated.
- Shape + Bake. Use a cookie scoop or your hands to form 36 1 1/2-inch balls, and place them in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet. Bake until brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Nutritional information is for 2 balls if you make 36 using this recipe. Does not include sauces: