Cheddar cheese, Italian sausage, and spices, oh my! These low carb sausage balls are perfect for dipping, snacking, appetizer-ing, and don’t have time to make breakfast-ing. Serve them at your next partaaay with other dunkable keto appetizers, like mozzarella stuffed meatballs, keto meatballs, really, all the meatballs. Let’s roll!
What I Love About These Low Carb Sausage Balls
Ok, so you might be thinking: What the heck is a sausage ball?
The short answer is: magical little love balls of sausage and cheese, made in health-food heaven by teams of carb-conscious, keto-friendly angels. Too much? Juuuuust wait until you taste them.
Cheesy, sausage-y, herbaceous, dippable, and easy to reheat — they’re basically everything you’ve ever craved, all baked into a single bite (or two, if you’ve got fancy manners).
The inspiration for these was my Mom’s sausage ball recipe. As kids, these were the reason we’d sneak into “grown-up” parties. So, I had some pretty big shoes to fill with my low carb version. All I can say is: mission accomplished.
Here’s what to expect before you get baking:
- Quick + easy
- Great for snackin’
- Flexible recipe: feel free to swap the cheese, protein, or spice mix
Keto Sausage Balls Video
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
Tips + Tricks
Wish I had more to share about these keto sausage balls, but the truth is, they’re EASY!
- Can’t find ground Italian sausage? I always buy Italian sausage and remove the casing with a sharp knife before adding it to the mix. Video tutorial here.
- Sweet or spicy sausage? That’s up to you. I’ve only tested these keto sausage balls with sweet Italian sausage.
- Use fine-grain almond flour, this will give you the most flour-like texture.
- For accurate nutritional information, be sure to form 36 keto sausage balls.
Store any leftovers you have in the fridge, and reheat in the microwave at 50% power using 30-second intervals.
We love freezing these keto sausage balls for easy to grab snacks — just place them in a ziplock and remove as much air as you can before freezing.
Serve these keto sausage balls warm with a dipping sauce. Some of my favorites are:
But if you have a better dipping suggestion, please, do share!
Here’s how you can switch things up to make these sausage cheese balls uniquely yours:
- Swap cheddar for your favorite shredded cheese.
- Swap the sausage for another ground meat such as ground chicken or turkey — just be sure to add additional seasoning.
- Spice it up. Add some cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes to give these low carb sausage balls a kick! Or, omit the seasoning and stick to just salt and pepper for a more neutral flavor.
More Low Carb Appetizers
Keto Sausage BallsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 Cups Almond Flour (Note 1)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage (Note 2)
- 16 Ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 F, and prepare a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or cooking spray.
- Combine. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour ( 3 cups), baking powder (1 1/2 tablespoons), salt (1/2 teaspoon), garlic powder (1/2 teaspoon), and oregano (1 teaspoon). Add the heavy cream (1/2 cup) and pork sausage (1 pound) and combine using your hands. Add the grated cheese (16 ounces ) a little at a time, again mixing with your hands until everything is well incorporated.
- Shape + Bake. Use a cookie scoop or your hands to form 36 1 1/2-inch balls, and place them in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet. Bake until brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Almond Flour. Using fine-grained almond flour will yield the most "flour-like" results. My favorite brands are Bob's Red Mill, Trader Joe's, or Costco brands.
- Italian sausage. If you can't find sausage with the casing removed, use a sharp knife to remove the sausage from inside the casing.
- Nutritional information is for 2 balls if you make 36 using this recipe. Does not include sauces:
These were amazing! Thanks for the recipe!
Hello John! I am so glad you enjoyed!?
I always think of Tatziki dip. Even makes your mouth water. I only wish we could always find fresh dill. Thanks for sharing
Hello Judy! Let me know if you give this a try. Enjoy!?
Can you suggest an alternative to almond flour? My grandson has a severe peanut/tree but allergy. Thanks.
Hi Jhim! You may be able to try carbquick? Although I haven’t tested this, it’s the only swap I can think of . Also be sure to check the ingredient list first to make sure it fits with your Grandson’s dietary restrictions. Let me know if you give it a try, and I hope you enjoy!!
They are the perfect bite sized snack! Incredibly delicious!! ?
Right Neil? I’m so happy you enjoyed!?
So many flavors in this dish. Must try making it.
Hello Julie! Hope enjoy it as much as I do!?
Oh yum! I love that you made this with Italian sausage. So many incredible flavors. Only 15 minutes of prep too!
Yahoo! Hope you enjoy Tara!?
yours look so pretty -mine are never round – any tips for keeping them round?
Hi Heather! We just uploaded a video that may help! I roll the sausage balls between my hands while pressing them together. It seems odd that yours aren’t sticking together — you can always reduce the amount of cheese added to see if that helps? Enjoy!
I just love your easy and quick to make recipe and just cant wait to try this out. Cheesy and yummy and best as a party snack option too.
Yay! Let me know how it goes, Enjoy!?
These sausage balls were delicious! So flavorful and paired perfectly with a side of roasted veggies for me.
Right Emily? So glad you enjoyed!?
I love low carb sausage balls recipe. I’ll definitely make this recipe.
Hope you enjoy Nisha!?
I love how this recipe uses almond flour! What a great way to keep it keto friendly 😀
Yahoo! Let me know if you give this a try Jeannette!?
Patty at Spoonabilities
Now what could possibly be better than cheese, sausage, and a low carb appetizer or whatever you want to do with this! Such a delicious recipe, especially right now that I’m all about low-carbing things!
Right Patty? I’m so happy you enjoyed as much as I do!?
I love the sound of these sausage balls. I think my kids would really enjoy them too. Will be trying these out at the weekend!
Hope you enjoy Beth!?
I love the idea of dipping these in to pizza sauce. They sound delicious and total comfort food.
Thanks Dannii! Let me know if you give these a try!?
These look like a delicious snack or buffet food for entertaining. Can’t wait to make these.
Yes! Please let me know how it goes, Enjoy Amanda! ?
I love it!! recipe’s easy to follow and it’s so yummy.
Yay! This is one of our faves too, happy you enjoyed it ???!
Been looking for a recipe that is so easy to follow and i just found the PERFECT ONE. This is perfect for our POTLUCK!! Thank you Lindsey!
You’re welcome Cristine, Enjoy!?
duromax voltage stabilizer
Thank you for your blog post. Really Cool.
Thank you, Hope you give it a try!😄