Cheddar cheese, Italian sausage, and spices, oh my! These low carb sausage balls are perfect for dipping, snacking, appetizer-ing, and don’t have time to make breakfast-ing. Serve them at your next partaaay with other dunkable keto appetizers, like mozzarella stuffed meatballs, keto meatballs, really, all the meatballs. Let’s roll!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
What I Love About These Low Carb Sausage Balls
Ok, so you might be thinking: What the heck is a sausage ball?
The short answer is: magical little love balls of sausage and cheese, made in health-food heaven by teams of carb-conscious, keto-friendly angels. Too much? Juuuuust wait until you taste them.
Cheesy, sausage-y, herbaceous, dippable, and easy to reheat — they’re basically everything you’ve ever craved, all baked into a single bite (or two, if you’ve got fancy manners).
The inspiration for these was my Mom’s sausage ball recipe. As kids, these were the reason we’d sneak into “grown-up” parties. So, I had some pretty big shoes to fill with my low carb version. All I can say is: mission accomplished.
Here’s what to expect before you get baking:
- Quick + easy
- Great for snackin’
- Flexible recipe: feel free to swap the cheese, protein, or spice mix
Keto Sausage Balls Video
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
Tips + Tricks
Wish I had more to share about these keto sausage balls, but the truth is, they’re EASY!
- Can’t find ground Italian sausage? I always buy Italian sausage and remove the casing with a sharp knife before adding it to the mix. Video tutorial here.
- Sweet or spicy sausage? That’s up to you. I’ve only tested these keto sausage balls with sweet Italian sausage.
- Use fine-grain almond flour, this will give you the most flour-like texture.
- For accurate nutritional information, be sure to form 36 keto sausage balls.
Store any leftovers you have in the fridge, and reheat in the microwave at 50% power using 30-second intervals.
We love freezing these keto sausage balls for easy to grab snacks — just place them in a ziplock and remove as much air as you can before freezing.
Serve these keto sausage balls warm with a dipping sauce. Some of my favorites are:
But if you have a better dipping suggestion, please, do share!
Here’s how you can switch things up to make these sausage cheese balls uniquely yours:
- Swap cheddar for your favorite shredded cheese.
- Swap the sausage for another ground meat such as ground chicken or turkey — just be sure to add additional seasoning.
- Spice it up. Add some cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes to give these low carb sausage balls a kick! Or, omit the seasoning and stick to just salt and pepper for a more neutral flavor.
More Low Carb Appetizers
Keto Sausage BallsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 F, and prepare a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or cooking spray.
- Combine. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour ( 3 cups), baking powder (1 1/2 tablespoons), salt (1/2 teaspoon), garlic powder (1/2 teaspoon), and oregano (1 teaspoon). Add the heavy cream (1/2 cup) and pork sausage (1 pound) and combine using your hands. Add the grated cheese (16 ounces ) a little at a time, again mixing with your hands until everything is well incorporated.
- Shape + Bake. Use a cookie scoop or your hands to form 36 1 1/2-inch balls, and place them in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet. Bake until brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Almond Flour. Using fine-grained almond flour will yield the most "flour-like" results. My favorite brands are Bob's Red Mill, Trader Joe's, or Costco brands.
- Italian sausage. If you can't find sausage with the casing removed, use a sharp knife to remove the sausage from inside the casing.
- Nutritional information is for 2 balls if you make 36 using this recipe. Does not include sauces: