Keto pizza sauce often gets a bad rap for being bland, but this sauce will change your perception of low carb sauces forever!
Because sauce is a critical component in your low carb pizza…
And this fragrant, delicious low carb pizza sauce is one of my favorite low carb dinners to upgrade your pizza the way it should! It’s one of those low carb recipes that’s rich and savory but slightly sweet — A complex flavor profile that’s bright and sunny, it really works with almost anything.
I can’t wait for you to taste this brilliant pizza sauce! Let’s dive in…
This keto pizza sauce has so many GREAT qualities. I love that it’s:
- Incredibly easy to make
- You’ll know exactly what’s in it
- It’s unbelievably delicious
- It’ll make your house smell AMAZING!
What can I say? Keto pizza sauce is DA BOMB!! But really, this recipe uses vegetables to coax out the slightly sweet, mellow flavor we’ve all grown to know and love without sugar and a bunch of other junk.
The right blend of herbs and spices help layer all those rich savory flavors, just like grandma used to make!
Here’s what you need to know before getting started:
The fennel seeds are optional, but I recommend trying them. Despite what you’ve heard, they will NOT make your pizza sauce taste like licorice!
You can use them whole or ground up, both work. However, if you have whole fennel seeds you should crack them just slightly before using them in this recipe, as this releases their fragrant oils and delicious flavors.
Just press on them slightly with the bottom of a pan or even a heavy knife to gently crack them but avoid smashing them.
Sautéing the vegetables is the first step in this recipe, and for good reason. It releases their natural sugars creating a more mellow, naturally sweet flavor while filling the kitchen with all those wonderful aromas.
Cooking this sauce only takes 10-15 minutes but it’s important to maintain a slow and simmer — do this by keeping your heat low, and don’t create a ton of bubbling.
This low heat infuses all the contributing elements (veggies & spices) into the liquid that gives you an intense entourage of flavor.
You can make this sugar free pizza sauce as thick as you like as long as you are slow simmering. The longer you simmer, the thicker it will get.
Tools To Make
Making this incredible keto pizza sauce doesn’t require any crazy kitchen utensils. Of course, you’ll need a saucepan and something to stir with. I prefer to use a wooden spoon because it doesn’t scratch my cookware.
Using a heavy-bottomed saucepan is preferred, as it distributes heat more evenly. This will make it easier to maintain a slow simmer and prevent scorching your keto pizza sauce.
Storing your keto pizza sauce is super simple, if there’s any left over. This stuff is so delicious, its hard to keep around! Putting it in an air-tight container prevents moisture build up and locks in all those intense flavors.
Can You Freeze This?
Of course, you can freeze your low carb pizza sauce! Again, you’ll want to store it in an air-tight container to keep it at its best.
When you’re ready to use it, it’s best to slow thaw it. Tossing it in the fridge the day before usually does the trick.
If you’re meal prepping low carb frozen pizza, spread the sauce on your crust before freezing, for a dinner that’ll be ready when you are!
This low carb pizza sauce is so scrumptious, it works with just about any healthy recipes and it tends to make them BETTER! (Brownie Points)
- Sneak extra veggies into your sauce! Feel free to add whatever veggie you’re craving into the mix (saute along with the onions).
- Add some meat. You can cook the meat and add it to the sauce, or opt for a protein packed crust instead. Making a Meatzza will change your perception of healthy sauces forever and topping a chicken crust pizza with this low carb pizza sauce gives savory a new meaning.
- Spice it up. Incorporating some heat into your dish is always an option. Adding some jalapenos will do the trick or you can top your dish with red pepper flakes. There’s some heat for you!
- Use this sauce (beyond pizza). I use this sauce for my keto pizza casserole, to add tons of flavor between layers of cheese. It’s also the perfect dipping sauce for cauliflower pizza bites!
Low carb pizza recipes that save time in the kitchen and actually taste great are like little gold nuggets in your low carb recipe box. Each of these awesome healthy pizza recipes tastes amazing with my special low carb pizza sauce:
Keto Pizza SaucePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 4 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 - 28 Ounces Crushed Tomatoes canned, unsalted
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Basil dried
- 3/4 Teaspoon Oregano dried
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds (optional)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Heat oil (2 tablespoons) in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic (2 cloves) and chopped onions (1/2 cup). Stir constantly so it doesn’t burn. Sauté until translucent (around 10 minutes).
- Add tomato paste (4 tablespoons), basil (1 teaspoon), oregano (3/4 teaspoon), fennel (1/2 teaspoon), salt (1 1/2 teaspoon) and black pepper (1/4 teaspoon). Cook and stir the sauce for a few minutes to incorporate.
- Add crushed tomatoes (1 -28 Ounces), stir, and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Turn the heat down to a slow simmer. Cook the sauce for 10-15 minutes, or until it’s as thick as you’d like.
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Everyone will cook a different amount of liquid out of this sauce, so it's hard to calculate a measured amount. That said, I was able to make about 48 tablespoons of this sauce, so 1 serving would equal 2 tablespoons: