This keto calzone is the perfectly portable pocket of soft and fluffy pizza dough, overstuffed and overflowing with sauce, pepperoni, and delicious melty mozzarella. Make them for a fun spin on pizza night or as meal prep you’ll *actually* get excited about.
Upgrade or Corruption?
I know calzones can be a bit polarizing… Some think they’re a corruption of pizza, while others consider them an upgraded evolution. But let’s all just get along. It’s ok to like both pizza and calzones. Both are delicious. No competition necessary.
Because the truth is if it were a competition? These keto calzones would blow every other version out of the water…
They’re absolutely oozing with the good stuff. Salty, creamy mozzarella. A perfectly seasoned sauce. I love zingy and savory pepperoni, but any filling is amazing here. And the dough? Perfectly crisp and flaky, yet slightly chewy.
So next time you have pizza FOMO, give these low carb calzones a whirl. You won’t regret it!! 🍕❤️ – Linds x
Keto Calzone Video Tutorial
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
Crazy easy to make, this calzone requires only a few ingredients and is incredibly flexible.
- Keto pizza crust – My preferred keto calzone crust is my almond flour version, made of almond flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt — that’s it (!!). If you have a dough you prefer, use that instead — from ground meat like chicken crust pizza to veggie-based keto crusts. Psst – my coconut flour pizza crust is a little too fragile to shape into a calzone.
- Egg – to prevent the crust from burning.
- Italian seasoning – to flavor the crust.
- Low carb cheese – I prefer mozzarella, as it melts beautifully. Add your fave.
- Pizza sauce – most store-bought products are loaded with sugar. You can make your own (follow my recipe!), or just look for a jar with no added sugar.
Your Calzone, Your Filling…
I like to keep my low carb calzone simple with just pepperoni. Feel free to use your favorite pizza toppings, or switch things up so you never get tired of calzones for keto dinners. Here are some ideas for you:
- Make a breakfast calzone with scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheddar
- Pesto, shredded chicken, tomatoes, and mozzarella
- Italian sausage, red onions, and sliced olives
- Make a keto Mexican pizza, with ground beef, salsa, and cheddar
Always serve your gluten free calzone with an extra side of dipping sauce — you can use more pizza sauce or step it up with some keto ranch dressing. Psst — I’ve heard this is a West Coast thing, but I can’t eat pizza without ranch 🤤!
Working with the Dough: Tips + Tricks
The only trick to these low carb calzones is the dough — but if you follow my tips, it’s no trouble at all. Here’s what you should know:
- The dough is sticky, so you want wet hands when working with it. Grab a bowl of water so you can dunk your hands in it between shaping the dough.
- Parchment paper is your friend – use it to fold the dough over itself, then peel back the top half.
- The dough will crack – which is easy to fix by using wet fingertips to smooth out.
More Keto Pizza Recipes
Low Carb Keto CalzonePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Keto Pizza Crust (note 1)
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup Keto Pizza Sauce (note 2)
- 20 slices pepperoni
- 1 1/2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- Prep. Preheat oven to 425 F and make the keto pizza dough per the recipe. Divide the dough into 4 balls. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut a 2nd sheet of parchment paper in half and grab a bowl of water.
- Form the calzones. Use wet hands to press each ball into a flat disc on half a sheet of parchment. Spoon pizza sauce (3/4 cup) onto 1/2 of the disc, leaving about 1" around the edge of the dough. Sprinkle cheese (1 1/2 cups) and pepperoni (20 slices) on top. Use the parchment paper to help fold the dough over itself. Depending on how full the calzone is, you'll probably need to stuff some of the filling back inside before you crimp the edges. Peel back the parchment on half of the calzone, and use wet fingers to roll the edges over itself to seal the filling in. Repeat for all 4 calzones.
- Bake. Place calzones on prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with the whisked egg (1), and sprinkle with Italian seasoning (1 teaspoon). Bake in the preheated oven for 21-23 minutes, or until the top is golden. Wait a few minutes before slicing. Serve with extra pizza sauce, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Dough - Feel free to sub in any pizza dough you prefer, although my low carb pizza dough is amazing and EASY.
- Pizza sauce often contains added sugar. Feel free to make your own, or read labels carefully.
- The toppings - feel free to use whatever you prefer here.