Just hearing the words low carb pizza casserole gets me excited, INSTANTLY!
Now I know what you’re thinking, “low carb pizza!?” But hear me out… it is low carb but it’s also BOMB-Diggity (oh ya, I just brought that back…).
Because there’s no food as nostalgic as pizza… or a casserole for that matter, and what can beat combining both culinary delights and adding them to your recipe box of low carb dinners?!
If I had to name just a few reasons to fall in love with this low carb pizza casserole…
- It’s as if a PIZZA and a CASSEROLE had a baby.
- Makes for awesome leftovers.
- Ready to eat within 35 minutes.
- It’s EASY to customize.
- Free from all the yuckies: grain-free, gluten-free, crust-free, and drama-free.
1. Sweet the zucchini by tossing it in salt and in a colander. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes, then rinse it off and remove excess liquid.
2. Cook the sausage in a pan with oil, breaking into small pieces as it cooks.
3. Combine the sausage, zoodles, pizza sauce, onions, bell peppers, and olives in a 9×13 casserole dish.
4. Cover the top of your casserole with cheese and pepperoni.
5. Bake in an oven preheated to 375 F for 20 minutes.
Best Ingredients To Use & Why
All the ingredients for this keto pizza are pretty standard! A few important notes to save you time and pizza carbs:
- Zucchini noodles – I like to buy pre-spiralized noodles to save timeee! A cheese grater is an awesome way to save time here too.
- Sugar free pizza sauce – most store-bought sauces are LOADED with sugar, so check your labels or make your own.
- Low carb cheese – don’t be shy here!
Store any leftovers in the fridge and eat within 3 to 4 days, or freeze and enjoy later.
Can You Freeze This?
Absolutely! I LOVE using small resealable baggies to freeze individual portions.
Thaw in your fridge the night before you want to eat it and bake in the oven until it’s heated through.
Pizza and low carb salads are a classic combo — But, if you want to make sure you sop up ALL the sauce, I suggest whipping up a batch of my low carb garlic bread to ensure nothing goes to waste.
Currently, this casserole is loaded with all the supreme pizza toppings, but I’m a strong believer that no one should tell you how to top your pizza!
Here are a few topping variations so you can add your own low carb spin:
- Meatlovers pizza. Turn this into a meatza casserole by add ground beef, low carb meatballs, sausage, etc. Bonus: most of these are no carb pizza ingredients!
- Vegetable pizza. You can skip the meat for a vegetarian cheesy pizza casserole, or add in more vegetables, just dice and saute before. Eggplant pizza and cauliflower pizza crust are a few delicious veggies that come to mind.
- Mexican pizza. Add in some of your taco favorites, like salsa and shredded chicken — take some notes from my low carb Mexican casserole.
Low carb + pizza?! Yup, it’s on the menu, and you have OPTIONS!
Low Carb Pizza CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 5 Cups Zucchini Noodles
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Lb Italian Sausage
- 1 Cup Red Onion chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/2 Cup Black Olives
- 16 Ounces Low Carb Pizza Sauce
- 15 Pepperoni slices
- 2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place zucchini noodles in a colander and toss in salt. Allow them to sit for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, place them in a clean kitchen towel and gently ring out any additional liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook the Italian sausage until brown, breaking up with the tip of a wooden spoon as it cooks. Allow cooked sausage to drain excess grease on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add zucchini noodles, sausage, onions, bell peppers, olives, and pasta sauce to a 9x13 casserole dish and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese and pepperonis.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the top become golden brown.
- Allow casserole to cool slightly before slicing, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes: