Just hearing the words low carb pizza casserole gets me excited INSTANTLY!
Now I know what you’re thinking, ‘healthy pizza!?” But hear me out… it is healthy but it’s also BOMB-diggity (oh ya, I just brought that back…). Because there’s no food as nostalgic as pizza… or a casserole for that matter! And what can beat combining both culinary delights?!
That said, traditionally, both of those foods bring comfort ANDDD, loads of carbs…
Trust me when I tell you, you’re going to LOVE this one! Ready to find out why??
If I had to name a just few reasons to fall in love with this low carb pizza casserole…
- It’s as if a PIZZA and a CASSEROLE had a baby and out came the low carb pizza casserole! How could I not want to eat a piece of that?!
- This is amazing to make for yourself (freeze the leftovers) or for a group! It’s soooo comforting too, everyone will gravitate towards it.
- Throw all the ingredients into the casserole dish, pop it in the oven and eat within 35 minutes! (Try to wait a couple minutes so as not to burn your tongue though! That is the worst!)
- Customize this bad boy! I love recipes that’re versatile to meet your needs of what you already have on hand without an extra trip to the store for that one thing!
- This dish is free from all the yuckies: grain-free, gluten-free, crust-free and drama-free! It couldn’t be any easier to make!
Here are all the healthy recipes notes you need to know to make and bake your very own low carb pizza casserole in no time at all!
Tools To Make
- A zoodle slicer to turn the zucchini into zucchini noodles (= zoodles). You can also buy the zucchini noodles premade at your local grocery store. (I see them in Trader Joe’s all the time.) Orrrr, just use a cheese grater and grate the zucchini, it’s every bit as delicious!
- A colander to strain the liquid out of the zucchini. If you don’t have one, no worries, you can just put the zucchini in a bowl to drain the liquid out. Just be sure to give it a good squeeze!
- A skillet pan to brown the meat
- A 9 x 13 casserole dish for baking the low carb pizza casserole in
Store any leftovers in the fridge and eat within 3 to 4 days or freeze to enjoy later on.
Can You Freeze This?
Absolutely! I love to have a low carb frozen pizza in my freezer for those days I don’t feel like cooking. Having a low carb pizza casserole ready to go is even better!
Be sure that you put the low carb pizza casserole in a freezer friendly dish for optimal freshness (I LOVE using small resealable baggies for this). Thaw in your fridge the night before you want to eat it and bake in the oven until it’s heated through.
Low Carb Dinner Meal Prepping Tips
I’m a meal prepping queen who loves to think ahead so I can put my feet up later! You can easily prepare your low carb pizza casserole the morning of (before you go to work) and leave it covered in the fridge for low carb dinners with no additional work!
This dish makes for amazing leftovers during busy workweeks!
I also LOVE to serve a fried egg on top for low carb breakfast casserole. Pizza for breakfast? YES PLEASE!
As always, check out all these recipe variations to make this healthy pizza work for your healthy dinners…
- Use a different crust. A couple different options to try: almond flour pizza crust, coconut flour pizza crust, and the current craze seen everywhere, cauliflower pizza crust. Just know that these options will not always 100% replicate traditional dough, but that’s nothing some delicious toppings can’t make better!
- Add additional meat to your low carb pizza casserole to amp up the protein. Doubling the sausage would be an easy solution! Or you can swap it for ground beef (ala low carb meatloaf pizza!). and if you’re craving extra protein, MEATZA is right up your pizza alley!
- Add any and all veggies to your heart’s delight! A couple of my personal faves that bring alllllllll the vegetarian PIZZA PIZZAZZ are classics like the: portobello mushroom pizza, eggplant pizza or zucchini pizza.
- Use different kinds of low carb cheese. You can swap mozzarella for cheddar! (like in my low carb cheeseburger casserole), pepper jack, or any MELTABLE cheese that you’re craving.
Low Carb Pizza CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 5 Cups Zucchini Noodles*
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Lb Italian Sausage
- 1 Cup Red Onion chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/2 Cup Black Olives
- 16 Ounces Low Carb Pizza Sauce**
- 15 Pepperoni slices
- 2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place zucchini noodles in a colander and toss in salt. Allow them to sit for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, place them in a clean kitchen towel and gently ring out any additional liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook the Italian sausage until brown, breaking up with the tip of a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Allow cooked sausage the drain excess grease on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add zucchini noodles, sausage, onions, bell peppers, olives, and pasta sauce to a 9x13 casserole dish and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese and pepperonis.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the top become golden brown.
- Allow casserole to cool slightly before slicing, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Can’t get enough healthy pizza?! Me neither, check these out for more pizza inspiration:
I hope you enjoy this low carb pizza casserole recipe! Comment below if you made the recipe crustless or with one of the meat crusts! Either way, I hope you enjoyed it!