If you’re looking for low carb chicken recipes that everyone at your table will adore, this low carb chicken casserole is here to make your dreams come true. Creamy, rich and packed with all sort of yummy goodness, you’ll absolutely forget that you found this while looking for low carb recipes…
Low carb casseroles are the heroes we all need during crazy weeks, and I love when low carb dinners can be this dang delicious! I’m getting hungry – Let’s dive in!
This low carb chicken casserole was designed to be a weekly staple:
- It comes together in just over 30 minutes!
- It has that comforting, creamy chicken taste that just feels like home.
- Surprise vegetables slipped in under the creamy sauce that add crunch, flavor, and tons of nutrients!
This yummy casserole is quick and easy, with basic ingredients and trusted tools. Check out a few quick notes below to guarantee an effortless meal:
Cooked Chicken – Part of the speed of this recipe is using precooked chicken.
You can buy preroasted chicken cold in the fridge section of your store, or you can buy a rotisserie chicken from the deli. Or, precook a big batch of chicken breast to have on hand, and you’re set for all sorts of low carb leftover chicken recipes. You can also make this into a ground chicken casserole if you pulverize your cooked chicken before adding it in.
Leeks – have you used this amazing vegetable? It’s a more delicate version of onion (and it’s lower in carbs!!), and it’s an amazing addition to any recipe! Plus, it’s filled with nutrients and is super low in calories. If you haven’t use this before, it’s about to become a favorite.
Pork Rinds – this surprising ingredient is actually an invaluable addition to low carb cooking! High in protein, low in carbs, and scrumptious – these are a great crunchy option where you would normally use bread crumbs or crackers.
Tools To Make
I love this recipe because it uses familiar ingredients and basic tools! Anyone can make this awesome low carb chicken casserole.
If you want to save dishes, you can invest in a great stove-to-oven dish, like a dutch oven. These large ceramic dishes can be used to saute things on stovetop, but can handle the high temp of finishing things in the oven.
This is a great tool for all kinds of recipes.
This recipe is perfect for feeding a crowd, so invite everyone over! But, in the rare case you have extras, it’s super easy to store.
Just place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze This?
This low carb chicken casserole is great for freezing and breaking out on a night you’re in a hurry. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
You can reheat in the microwave or the oven in a flash (I recommend the oven the add that extra “crunch” to the top!), and voila, a healthy, low carb dinner is served!
Meal Prepping Tips
You can get 6 servings out of the recipe below, so it’s one of the great healthy dinner ideas to make then save for a week of healthy meals! Simply store individual servings in airtight containers in the fridge or freezer, and take out to reheat.
The only bummer is you have no more excuses for ordering takeout…. but you’ll thank me later.
Want to add your own spin to this low carb chicken casserole recipe? Here are a few ways to get creative:
How Can I Add More Veggies?
I love creamy chicken recipes like this one because they’re a great place to hide veggies away from folks who generally snub their nose at them, (you know who you are). Aside from the veggies in the recipe below, there are other ways to get your veggies in…
Try mixing in your favorites for some added nutrients!
I like mixing in cauliflower rice for a superfood cauliflower rice casserole! For an extra crunch and dose of fiber, mix green beans into this casserole — protein packed low carb green bean casserole is always a winner in our house!
Or, for a totally different spin, try scooping this casserole into hallowed out/blanched zucchini’s for a less zesty take on mouth-watering zucchini enchiladas.
Can I Use Different Types Of Meat?
Had a lot of chicken already this week? It may be time to branch out into new and exciting dishes.
You can easily swap the chicken in the recipe below with your cooked protein of choice! Turkey, pork, or beef (like this low carb meatloaf or this low carb shepherd’s pie) heck… you can even try tuna for a delicious take on low carb tuna casserole!
Can I Try Different Types of Cheese?
Oh Yes! Another great way to level up your casserole is to swap the cheddar for some mozzarella, pepperjack, or even Mexican cheese blend!
If you’re looking for a more cheeesy dish, I swear by this zucchini lasagna or this cabbage lasagna, they’re creamy, rich and packed with all sorts of yummy goodness!
Can I Add Squash?
Absolutely! All the veggies in the squash family would make a delicious addition to this low carb chicken casserole recipe.
Try mixing in butternut squash (my personal fave!), zucchini, or summer squash to the veggies you’re sautéing for additional veggies and added bulk! Low carb squash casserole is a win win.
If you’re missing pasta in your low carb chicken casserole, mix in some cooked spaghetti squash — spaghetti squash casserole will make you forget carb filled pasta ever existed!
Can I Make This Spicy?
Your low carb chicken casserole recipe, your rules!
Low Carb Chicken Casserole
- 1 1/4 Pounds Chicken Breast cooked
- 2 Cups Broccoli broken into small pieces
- 1 Leek sliced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt make sure it's low carb and high protein, I use Fage
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Ounce Pork rinds crushed , place rinds in a ziplock baggie, sip the baggie, and crush using a rolling pin until they're bread crumb size
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Melt butter in a large, pan (oven safe pan if you'd like to save dishes) on medium-low heat. Add leeks and broccoli, and slowly cook slowly until broccoli become soft and leeks are translucent. Once cooked, place these veggies in a large bowl.
- Dice or shred your chicken breast—add to the bowl.
- Add Greek yogurt to the bowl and stir until well incorporated.
- In a small bowl, mix heavy cream and spices.
- Place chicken/veggies in pan (I used the same one I cooked the veggies in). Pour heavy cream over the top. Sprinkle with cheese, then sprinkle with crushed pork rinds.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown on the edges. Take out, and cover with chopped cilantro. Allow to cool before serving. Enjoy!
- Use sour cream instead of low carb Greek yogurt
- Cut out the leeks
Looking for more healthy casseroles? There are countless variations, try these next:
- Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole – What’s not to love about meat, cheese and veggies?!
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole – Loaded with cheesy deliciousness!
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole – Just like a baked potato, without the carbs!
- Healthy Breakfast Casserole – Perfect way to start the day!
- Low Carb Breakfast Casserole – Potatoes are just filler, and this casserole is here to prove it!!
This low carb chicken casserole is so luscious and mouthwatering, you’ll want to make it again and again. Comment below with your favorite take on this easy and delicious dinner!