This keto chicken casserole is smothered in cream sauce, stuffed full of veggies, covered in cheese, then finished with a “crumb’ topping that taste better than breadcrumbs. It’s comfort food at its finest and a weeknight dinner hero.
Looking for more ways to feed a crowd? Don’t forget my zucchini lasagna or keto breakfast casserole.
What’s in This Keto Casserole
There are a million ways to make a keto chicken casserole, here’s our favorite. A creamy sauce that comes together with very little effort, and veggies that don’t need to be sautéed:
- The chicken – Any cooked chicken will do here–we love shredded rotisserie chicken, poached chicken, etc. You can even use ground chicken for a ground chicken casserole.
- The veggies – Only broccoli, this adds a pop of fresh flavor, and only needs to be blanched first.
- The sauce – Cream cheese, ranch dressing, heavy cream, sour cream, and bullion. The best sauce and so easy!
Tweaks + Substitutions
- Swap the protein. Turkey, pork, or beef (ala keto cheeseburger casserole).
- Add spice. Jalapenos, Tabasco, cayenne pepper, you name it.
- Add more vegetables. Sauté and toss in your faves–think bell peppers, onions, leeks, or green beans (ala keto green bean casserole).
How to Make Keto Chicken Casserole
As mentioned this keto chicken casserole is about as easy as they come. Here’s how and a few step-by-step photos:
- Blanch your broccoli. Make sure the surface of your broccoli is totally dry before adding it to the sauce.
- Combine sauce ingredients. Soft cream cheese is key in getting everything incorporated.
- Add chicken and broccoli and spread into a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top (and pork rinds if using). Bake in preheated oven.
Time Saving Tips
Casseroles were born to get dinner on the table quickly. But if you want dinner even quicker, try these tips:
- Buy pre-cooked chicken – Costco has shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Buy broccoli florets – you can usually find bagged florets in the veggie section.
- Buy keto ranch dressing, instead of making your own. Most storebought products are low carb, just read labels carefully. I love Hidden Valley Ranch.
Ways to Serve
This keto chicken casserole is delicious on its own or served alongside veggies or bread to bulk up the meal. Here are some ideas for you:
- Alongside a pop of something crisp and fresh like side keto salads.
- Over a bed of cauliflower rice. Option to also make rice for those at the table not eating low carb.
- Keto bread is a great way to soak up the extra sauce.
- Over keto pasta like sauteed zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
Meal Prep + Storing
This keto casserole makes incredible leftovers, and is great for meal prep!
- Store leftover keto chicken casserole in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Reheat it in the microwave for 90 seconds with a damp paper towel on top.
- To add crunch (back), sprinkle your microwaved slice with additional crushed pork rinds (they’ll soften in the fridge).
- Freeze – this cream based casserole won’t stand up well in the freezer (like my loaded cauliflower casserole), so I don’t recommend freezing it.
More Keto Casserole Recipes
- Keto Pizza Casserole
- Keto Shepherd’s Pie
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Keto Green Bean Casserole
- Zucchini Enchiladas
Keto Chicken CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 cups Chicken Breast shredded
- 1 pound Broccoli cut into florets
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoon better than bullion
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Ounce Pork rinds crushed. optional
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and add the broccoli. Cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain in a colander while prepping the rest.
- In a large bowl, combine the ranch dressing, heavy cream, softened cream cheese, sour cream, and bullion with an electric mixer until completely smooth. Add the chicken and broccoli and toss to coat.
- Pour into a 9×13, or a 9" round casserole dish. Top with cheddar cheese and pork rinds (if using). Bake in preheated oven until the cheese has melted and the casserole is heated through about 30 minutes.
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- How to crush the pork rinds. Place rinds in a ziplock baggie, sip the baggie and crush using a rolling pin until they’re the size of bread crumbs.