Savory succulent low carb meatballs make great low carb dinners and are awesome for meal prep!
It’s easy to get stuck in a rut eating the same few low carb recipes…
Enter THESE perfected low carb meatballs. They give you the ultimate topping for low carb pasta, a delicious filling for subs, and low carb appetizers everyone will fight over.
Whether you smother them in low carb spaghetti sauce, pesto, or something funky, there are countless ways to enjoy them!
Come see what I mean…
LOW CARB + MEATBALLS should be the only answer necessary, but here are a few more reasons why you should make this recipe today!
- Moist, succulent, and incredibly herbaceous meatballs that are (believe it or not) low in carbs
- Opens the doors to all sorts of meals!
- EASY! All you have to do is saute, mix, form, and bake!
There are thousands upon thousands of meatballs recipes but not all of them are worthy of your dinner table. Here’s why these low carb meatballs ARE worthy, and everything else you should know:
“Panade” – So you may be thinking that meatballs NEED breadcrumbs and milk (i.e. panade) to be tasty. Nope, sorry, simply not true! Panade is used in meatballs to add moisture and prevent the meat from becoming tough…
The low carb solution? A tad more low carb cheese, it does just the trick! No tough meatballs here friends!
The meat – A combo of Italian sausage and ground beef adds just enough flavor while keeping these meatballs interesting!
If you’d rather use just 1 type of meat, opt for ground beef, and add a teaspoon of Italian season to give this low carb ground beef recipes meatballs a similar flavor.
Or, turn these into Italian sausage meatballs, just remove the seasoning and salt from the recipe.
Everything else – seasoning and diced low carb vegetables add loads of flavor without hardly any carbs to these low carb meatballs. Sautéing veggies helps to combat bitterness and brings their slightly sweeter flavors to the forefront. This includes your garlic.
Tools To Make
The only tools you’ll need to make low carb meatballs are:
- A pan, to saute the onions and toast the spices for the meatballs.
- A bowl to combine meatball ingredients together.
- A rimmed baking sheet, to prevent a big mess at the bottom of your oven, as the meat’s grease and juice will release as the low carb meatballs bake.
- Parchment paper for easy cleanup.
This low carb meatballs recipe is pretty flexible and straightforward. Here are a few tips for success:
You’ll want to place your meatballs a couple of inches apart on a rimmed baking sheet. This ensures that the oven heat can circulate around the meatballs, cooking each of them evenly. Overcrowding traps steam and promotes burning in some areas.
Also, the BEST tool for mixing the meatball ingredients together is (without a doubt), your hands! This helps to mash everything together thoroughly.
Can You Freeze Them?
YES! And you really should! Because low carb meatballs are a tad time consuming to roll, but once you do, you’ll have meals for weeks! I like to make a double batch (do all the work at once!) then freeze them into portioned out baggies.
Next time we’re whipping up a pasta sauce, I’ve already got my meatballs ready!
The way you eat these low carb meatballs is up to you and what you’re craving! But they’re flexible, so here are a few ways I like to serve them:
- Make spaghetti and meatballs with almond flour pasta or veggie noodles.
- Slice your cooked meatballs and use them as a low carb pizza topping.
- Make them the main course and pair them with veggies.
- Use a low carb roll to make a meatball sub, or try these zucchini meatballs subs!
Want to switch things up a bit?? Here are a few ways to do so:
- Switch the meat. Use this recipe as your base, and sub in your protein of choice! Keep in mind, the internal temp of each meat will need to be cooked to a different temperature to ensure “doneness” — chicken meatballs/turkey meatballs, 165 F and pork meatballs/lamb meatballs, 160 F.
- Turn these into mozzarella stuffed meatballs by wrapping the meat around a small square piece of mozzarella cheese.
- Add heat to these meatballs. You can turn up the heat (like in these buffalo chicken meatballs), or turn it down by simply adjusting the red pepper flakes to your liking. Currently, these low carb meatballs are VERY mild. You can also use hot Italian sausage instead of sweet.
- Add different spices. Easily turn these into Greek meatballs by skipping Italian seasoning and adding more oregano. Or add whatever spices you prefer.
Low Carb MeatballsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion finely diced
- 6 Garlic Clove minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- Pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1/2 Pound Italian Sausage casings removed. We prefer sweet here.
- 2 Large Eggs lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 Pounds Ground Beef 80/20
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Low Carb Spaghetti Sauce or 1 - 32 oz jar of no sugar added spaghetti sauce.
- Preheat oven to 475 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onions and cook until soft, 12 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Place onions/garlic mixture in a large bowl. Add parmesan cheese and incorporate it with your hands. Add Italian sausage, eggs, beef, and salt, and knead until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Form mixture into 40 - 2 1/2" inch meatballs. Place meatballs on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the pasta sauce in a large pan (use the same pan you used to cook the onions). Once meatballs are done baking, add them to the pasta sauce and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm over your favorite low carb noodles, and enjoy!
Want to add a few more pasta recipes to your eating plan?? Here are some of our favorites:
- Low Carb Swedish Meatballs. Pasta is not necessary here!
- Zucchini Lasagna. Seriously, you won’t even notice the noodles are gone.
- Low Carb Gnocchi. Pillowy pasta to compliment your favorite sauces.
- Cabbage Lasagna. The easiest way to make low carb lasagna!
- Low Carb Ravioli. Stuffed pasta?? YES PLEASE!
Next time you’re in the mood for something a little more decadent, pick these scrumptious low carb meatballs! Let me know what you think in the comments below, and ENJOY!