This mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe makes our family FAVORITE meatballs!
Because gooey mozzarella stuffed inside a ground beef Italian meatballs is the ultimate edible low carb recipes surprise. Sooooo scrumptious they’ll put an Italian grandmother’s recipes to shame!
It’s one of those low carb dinners that’s easy to make but feels decadent and super fancy. Not to mention, it yields LOW CARB meatballs, which is rare in the baked meatballs world.
Let’s dive in!
Here’s the skinny on this mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe, and why they’re SO good:
- The ingredients are crazy simple! (Assuming you have salt and Italian seasoning, all you need are the 4 other ingredients!)
- You can easily freeze them! I love being able to have home-cooked keto appetizers that I can take out of the freezer anytime I’m craving a comforting meal without having to do all the work!
- Do you have 35 minutes?! Making meatballs is sooooo easy! All you have to do is mix everything together and pop them in the oven!
- Dishes are MINIMAL! You only need TWO tools to make these!
- Last but certainly not least, these meatballs are LOW CARB! gluten-free, keto-approved and loved by all!
Here is everything you need to know about this mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe:
This is my fave type of recipe because the ingredients are so basic but the flavors are anything but! I mean, CHEESE stuffed meatballs?! GENIUS. Pass them to me NOW.
Cheese – Listen up, because you’re going to love this, carb counters: in the 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese called for in this recipe (which yielded me THIRTY meatballs), there is only 2.72 carbs TOTAL! I wasn’t kidding when I said keto cheese!
Parmesan and egg – these bind our ingredients together, so we don’t have to use filler ingredients such as breadcrumbs.
Seasoning – Keep it simple with Italian, or swap this with your Grandma’s secret spice mix!
Tools To Make
Here is all you need to make these baked meatballs:
- A rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (or a silicone baking mat)
- A large bowl to combine the ingredients together
Don’t feel like heating up the house with the oven? I totally get it.
Mozzarella stuffed meatballs crockpot edition are where it’s at! Come home to dinner prepared!
To do this, you’ll want to fully submerge your meatballs in pasta sauce. Cook them on high for 2 1/2 hours. Just a heads up — the cook time will vary depending on how large your meatballs are, so check them to ensure they’re fully cooked before diving in!
This mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe is a breeze to store! Simply pop them in the fridge once they’ve cooled! Reheat when you are ready to eat them again!
Can You Freeze These?
Yes, you can freeze these, which is why I adore making them! Pro-tip: make sure your meatballs are completely cool before popping them in the freezer.
I like to put the whole baking sheet into my freezer so my meatballs freeze individually and don’t stick together. I leave them in the freezer for a couple of hours and then put them in a freezer bag Ziplock or freezer-friendly container.
Serve these meatballs with… you guess it… pasta! If you’re sticking to low carb recipes (like me!) serve it over your favorite low carb pasta, such as a bed of veggie noodles or homemade almond flour pasta.
Cover them in sauce, I love this homemade keto spaghetti sauce.
Who doesn’t love to switch things up once in a while!? Check out ways to switch up this recipe or to find other similar delectable healthy recipes!
- Make these spicy. Simply stuff these meatballs with pepper jack cheese or sprinkle some extra spice into the meat, like in these buffalo chicken meatballs.
- Use different kinds of meat. Use whatever kind of meat you love best, are craving or have in your fridge or freezer! You can easily whip up pork meatballs or turkey meatballs.
- Swap the cheese. If you want to switch it up and add a different type of cheese to this mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe, try any of the following! They’re fantastic, yummy, low carb options: asiago, feta, cheddar, pepper jack.
- Change the spices. Instead of Italian, try parsley (ala Mediterranean meatballs), cumin, or whatever you love.
Mozzarella Stuffed MeatballsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 Ounces Mozzarella I love using cheese sticks!
- 2 Pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan grated
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut mozzarella (4 Ounces) into 1/2” cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef (2 pounds), grated parmesan cheese (1/2 cup), eggs (2), salt (1 1/2 teaspoons) and Italian seasoning (2 teaspoons).
- Using about 2 Tablespoons worth of meat, roll into a ball.
- Press a cube of cheese through the center, and ensure the cheese so not exposed on the edge. Continue to do this with the remaining meat and cheese.
- Place meatballs on the prepared baking sheet and into the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for 12 minutes, be sure not to overcook as the cheese may spill out. Check doneness, meatballs should be fully cooked through.
- Serve with marinara and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Nutritional information. I was able to make 30 meatballs from this recipe, so a serving would be 5 meatballs: