This mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe is the PERFECT addition to your low carb dinners! This is one of those healthy dinner ideas that you need to permanently add to your cooking rotation…
Because gooey mozzarella stuffed inside a ground beef Italian meatball is the ultimate edible surprise. Sooooo scrumptious they’ll put an Italian grandmother’s recipes to shame!
I love that they’re one of those low carb recipes that can be eaten as a side, an entire meal or frozen to enjoy later. Healthy recipes that are Italian but are also low carb?! Sign me UP!
Here’s the skinny on this mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe, and why they’re SO good:
- The ingredients are crazy simple! (Assuming you have salt and Italian seasoning, all you need are the 4 other ingredients!)
- You can easily freeze them! I love being able to have home-cooked options that I can take out of the freezer anytime I’m craving a comforting meal without having to do all the work!
- Do you have 35 minutes?! Making meatballs is sooooo easy! All you have to do is mix everything together and pop them in the oven!
- Dishes are MINIMAL! You only need TWO tools to make these!
- Last but certainly not least, these meatballs are LOW CARB! gluten-free, keto-approved and loved by all!
Here is everything you need to know about this mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe:
This is my fave type of recipe because the ingredients are so basic but the flavors are anything but! I mean, CHEESE stuffed meatballs?! GENIUS. Pass them to me NOW.
Cheese – Listen up, because you’re going to love this, carb counters: in the 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese called for in this recipe (which yielded me THIRTY meatballs), there is only 2.72 carbs TOTAL! I wasn’t kidding when I said low carb!
If you want to switch it up and add a different type of cheese to this mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe, try any of the following! They’re fantastic, yummy, low carb options!
- Asiago Cheese
- Feta Cheese
- Pepper Jack
Tools To Make
Here is all you need to make these baked meatballs:
- A rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (or a silicone baking mat)
- A large bowl to combine the ingredients together
Don’t feel like heating up the house with the oven? I totally get it.
Mozzarella stuffed meatballs crockpot edition are where it’s at! Come home to dinner prepared!
To do this, you’ll want to fully submerge your meatballs in pasta sauce. Cook them on high for 2 1/2 hours. Just a heads up — the cook time will vary depending on how large your meatballs are, so check them to ensure they’re fully cooked before diving in!
This mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe is a breeze to store! Simply pop them in the fridge once they’ve cooled! Reheat when you are ready to eat them again!
Can You Freeze These?
Yes, you can freeze these, which is why I adore making these! Pro-tip: make sure your meatballs are completely cool before popping them in the freezer.
I like to put the whole baking sheet into my freezer so my meatballs freeze individually and don’t stick together. I leave them in the freezer for a couple of hours and then put them in a freezer bag Ziplock or freezer friendly container.
You can freeze them with or without the sauce! This is a fantastic thing to make for new mothers and fathers since they can pop it in the freezer until they want to make it!
Meal Prepping Tips
Pro tip: Double (or triple) this recipe to make extra batches that you can freeze and eat later! Also, this is a fantastic meal prepping recipe for eating something delicious throughout the week! Cook this mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe once, eat all week!
Who doesn’t love to switch things up once in a while!? Check out ways to switch up this recipe or to find other similar delectable recipes!
How Can I Make These Spicy?
Spice up your life (Hah, Spice Girls throwback!) by adding some heat to these meatballs! Who says buffalo sauce is just for chicken wings?!
Simply stuff these meatballs with pepper jack cheese and toss them in a buffalo sauce!
These buffalo chicken meatballs will be the talk of the town the next time you bring them over to a football party! ( Be sure to bookmark this recipe for the next Super Bowl!) “Mama mia, now that’s a spicy meatball!” (said in your very best Italian accent!)
Can I Use Veggies Instead Of Meat?
Making these on Meat-free Monday, want to get an extra serving of veggies in or cooking vegetarian?
Substitute out the ground beef and replace it with eggplant to make the most deliciously hearty eggplant meatballs!! You’ll want to fully steam the cubed eggplant before mixing everything together.
Are These Meatballs Gluten Free?
Fear not my gluten-intolerant readers, this mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe makes naturally gluten free meatballs!
Can I Use Different Kinds Of Meat?
Yes! Use whatever kind of meat you love best, are craving or have in your fridge or freezer!
You can easily whip up turkey meatballs, pork meatballs, venison meatballs or chicken meatballs!
Mozzarella Stuffed MeatballsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 Ounces Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 Pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan grated
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the mozzarella into 1/2” cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef, parmesan cheese, eggs, salt and Italian seasoning.
- Using about 2 Tablespoons worth of meat, roll into a ball.
- Press a cube of cheese through the center, and ensure the cheese so not exposed on the edge. Continue to do this with the remaining meat and cheese.
- Place meatballs on prepared baking sheet and into the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for 12 minutes, be sure not to overcook as the cheese may spill out. Check doneness, meatballs should be fully cooked through.
- Serve with marinara* and enjoy!
- Over pasta, spaghetti squash, or zoodles!
- I love to toss the meatballs in my low carb spaghetti sauce.
Have a ball (a MEATBALL), chowing down on these low carb meatballs:
- Greek Meatballs. Feta and all the right spices, yes please!
- Lamb Meatballs. Delicious any way you serve them.
- Chicken Meatballs. Lean and DELISH!
- Italian Sausage Meatballs. A match made in heaven!
This low carb mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe is taking a delicious traditional meatball to extreme, fancy new heights!
Don’t take my word for it, try them and let me know what you think in the comments below!