Gooey mozzarella stuffed inside a juicy meatball, these mozzarella stuffed meatballs are decadent, fancy, and really fun to make. Cover them in sauce, or eat them plain–they’re loaded with so much flavor it makes dinner easy!
Wanna stuff everything with mozzarella? Check out my mozzarella stuffed chicken.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Here’s why you’re going to fall in love with these mozzarella stuffed meatballs:
- Simple ingredients – only 4 other ingredients (aside from salt and seasoning).
- Easy to freeze – making them great for meat prep.
- Low carb – These keto meatballs are low carb, gluten-free, and loved by all!
Ingredients For Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
These ingredients are basic and easy to find, but jam-packed with flavor. Here’s everything you need to know:
- The filling – These cheese stuffed meatballs are filled with mozzarella–I prefer to use cheese sticks diced into cubes to save time.
- The binders – Parmesan and an egg will bind our ingredients together while keeping our meatballs extra moist. No panade necessary.
- The meat – ground beef, preferably 80/20 for extra juicy meatballs.
Variations + Substitutes
Here are a few ways you can modify this recipe to your taste:
- Make these spicy – Simply stuff these meatballs with pepper jack cheese or sprinkle some extra spice into the meat.
- Use different kinds of meat – Just be sure to use high fat meat.
- Swap the cheese – If you want to switch it up and add a different type of cheese such as asiago, feta, cheddar, or pepper jack.
- Change the spices – Instead of Italian, try parsley (ala Mediterranean meatballs), cumin, or whatever you love.
How to Make Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
If you’ve made meatballs before, you know what to do. It’s as simple as mixing everything together, then stuffing a bit of cheese inside. Here’s how:
Dice your cheese into square pieces.
Make the meatball base by combining everything together in a bowl with your hands.
Shape the meatballs, stuff them with cheese, then seal them to cover the cheese completely.
Bake. Place them on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until cooked through.
Storing, Freezing, + Reheating
These mozzarella stuffed meatballs are a breeze to store, reheat, and freeze–making them perfect for meal prep and make ahead dinners. Here’s how:
- To store: Once cool, pop in the fridge in an air-tight container. They’ll last up to 4 days.
- To freeze: Place the baking sheet in the freezer so your meatballs freeze individually (and don’t stick together!) for 1 hour. Then remove them and place in a resealable baggie.
- To reheat: Microwave at 50% power with a damp paper towel covering the cheese stuffed meatballs until heated through and the cheese is melty.
No need to do anything fancy here, these mozzarella stuffed meatballs are delicious any way you serve them. You can add sauce, pasta, or even veggies–but they’re so great on their own, nothing is necessary!
- App: Cover in warm sauce (my fave is this keto spaghetti sauce), place a toothpick in the center, and serve on a platter.
- Dinner: Serve these meatballs over a bed of pasta, or your favorite pasta substitutes such as spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, butternut squash noodles, or almond flour pasta.
- Snack: Just reheat, with warm sauce to dip, or on their own.
- Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
- Shirataki Noodles
- Shrimp Carbonara
Mozzarella Stuffed MeatballsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 Ounces Mozzarella I love using cheese sticks!
- 2 Pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan grated
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut mozzarella (4 Ounces) into 1/2” cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef (2 pounds), grated parmesan cheese (1/2 cup), eggs (2), salt (1 1/2 teaspoons) and Italian seasoning (2 teaspoons).
- Using about 2 Tablespoons worth of meat, roll into a ball.
- Press a cube of cheese through the center, and ensure the cheese so not exposed on the edge. Continue to do this with the remaining meat and cheese.
- Place meatballs on the prepared baking sheet and into the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for 12 minutes, be sure not to overcook as the cheese may spill out. Check doneness, meatballs should be fully cooked through.
- Serve with marinara and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Nutritional information. I was able to make 30 meatballs from this recipe, so a serving would be 5 meatballs: