This cabbage lasagna recipe is everything you love about lasagna but in low carb pasta form — and believe me when I tell you this: you won’t miss the noodles ONE BIT!
Cheese, sausage, herbaceous sauce, oh my! Whenever I’m craving comfort food, this dish is my go-to.
Bonus points! Cabbage lasagna is a whole lot easier to make than zucchini lasagna and eggplant lasagna because you don’t have to slice and sweat the veggie. PLUS! It’s lower in carbs than spaghetti squash lasagna…
…So, basically, this is the best veggie-based lasagna recipe there is! Let’s bake.
This cabbage lasagna has a special place in my heart, as it’s based on my mom’s out of this world lasagna, which was my favorite childhood dish. And:
- All the lasagna flavor, with an extra serving of veggies.
- Crazy low in carbs and PERFECT for low carb dinners.
- You don’t have to deal with those (total pain!) lasagna noodles.
Sliced cabbage vs. whole – I find that cut/sliced cabbage works best, as it makes the lasagna much easier to cut when eating. If you’d prefer whole cabbage leaves, follow the instructions for boiling and separating the leaves in my keto cabbage rolls recipe.
Steaming the cabbage helps to release some of this vegetable’s water, which will prevent the cabbage lasagna from becoming soggy.
Best Ingredients To Use & Why
- Cabbage – Psst, fellow low carb eaters, there are hardly any carbs in cabbage.
- Italian sausage – sweet or spicy, you choose.
- Pasta sauce – if counting your carbs, make sure to grab a product made without sugar, or make my low carb version to keep this in the keto casseroles category.
Can You Freeze This?
YES! And you definitely should, because wasting any cabbage lasagna would be a shame. Slice the baked and cooled lasagna into portions and freeze them in individual resealable baggies for quick and easy meals to reheat on lazy days.
Serve this cabbage lasagna with all your favorite Italian side dishes, some of my faves include caesar salad, low carb garlic bread, and antipasto skewers.
Want to switch things up a bit? Here are a few ideas for you:
- Swap cabbage with another veggie. Other great keto lasagna noodles include eggplant, cauliflower, butternut squash, or zucchini (check out my zucchini enchiladas for some tips).
- Make a vegetarian version by skipping the meat altogether.
- Use a different kind of meat. Simply sub in your fave here — ground beef or chicken for a ground chicken casserole would be great, just add a tad more Italian seasoning.
- Make this spicy by tossing in some red pepper flakes and opting for spicy Italian sausage.
- Add more vegetables. Healthy lasagna is an awesome place to sneak them in, just saute and add them to the sauce. Spinach, mushrooms, or cauliflower for loaded cauliflower casserole are a few easy ones that come to mind.
I love pasta, but what I love MORE is healthy pasta with some sort of twist — leaner meat, veggies instead of noodles, you name it! Here are a few more ways to sneak healthy pasta into your life:
Cabbage LasagnaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Head Cabbage
- 1 Lb Sweet Italian Sausage casing removed
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped finely
- 4-6 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 - 24 Ounce Jars of Keto Spaghetti Sauce no sugar added
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano dried
- 32 Ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Cups Parmesan Cheese divided
- 4 Cups Mozzarella Shredded Divided
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Large Egg
- Prepare. Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a 9x13” casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cabbage. Quarter the head of a cabbage (1), then cut each quarter into ½” strips. Place strips of cabbage into a large pot with a little water, and boil the cabbage until tender (about 10 minutes). Place cabbage in a colander and allow it to drain. Place paper towels on top to absorb as much liquid as possible from the cabbage.
- Red sauce. Meanwhile, cook Sweet Italian Sausage (1 Lb) in a large skillet, over medium heat. Break sausage into small pieces with the back of your spoon as it cooks. Once cooked, remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Remove most of the fat from the pan, leaving only 2 tablespoons (if there aren’t 2 tablespoons of fat, add olive oil). Add the onion (1 chopped finely) and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add minced garlic (4-6 cloves) and continue to cook until it’s fragrant about 1 minute. Remove veggies from heat and stir in your cooked sausage and spaghetti sauce (2-24 Ounce Jars). Set aside.
- Ricotta. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese (32 Ounces), parmesan (1 cup), mozzarella (2 cups), fresh basil (1 cup), oregano (2 teaspoons), salt (1 teaspoon), pepper (1/2 teaspoon), and large egg (1).
- Layer the ingredients. Start with 1/2 of the red meat sauce, then a layer of cabbage, then 1/2 of the ricotta mixture. Repeat 1 more time, or until you’ve used all the ingredients. Top the lasagna with the remaining parmesan (1 cup) and mozzarella (2 cups).
- Cook in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until the lasagna is heated through and the cheese on top browns in the corners. Allow lasagna to cool slightly before slicing, and enjoy!