This cabbage lasagna is everything you love about lasagna with a simple veggie swap—Cheese, sausage, and an herbaceous sauce. It’s perfect for meal prep or a comforting dinner to feed the whole fam. Let’s bake!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
There are so many reasons to love this cabbage lasagna recipe, here’s why I know you’re going to love it:
Cabbage Lasagna Ingredients
Not much to it–Here’s everything you need to make cabbage lasagna today:
- The noodles – grab a head of cabbage, which we’ll slice into 1/2″ noodles, then steam into noodle perfection.
- The red sauce – Italian sausage (sweet or spicy, you choose), onion, garlic, and pasta sauce. If you’re counting your carbs, look for a keto spaghetti sauce without any added sugar, or make your own.
- The ricotta layer – Ricotta cheese, egg, parmesan, mozzarella, and seasoning.
Tweaks + Substitutes
This cabbage lasagna is easy to tweak and modify to accommodate your personal lasagna preferences. Here are some ideas for you:
- Swap cabbage with another veggie noodle, such as eggplant, cauliflower lasagna, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash lasagna.
- Make this spicy by adding red pepper flakes and using spicy Italian sausage.
- Make a vegetarian version by skipping the meat.
- Use a different kind of meat. Sub in your fave–ground beef or chicken (ala ground chicken casserole) would be great, just add a tad more Italian seasoning.
- Add more vegetables. Saute and add them to your red sauce–spinach and or mushrooms are classics.
How to Make Cabbage Lasagna
Here’s how to throw together this easy cabbage lasagna quickly and painlessly:
1. Prep your noodles by slicing the cabbage and steaming it to release its liquid.
2. Make your red sauce by cooking the meat, sauteing the onion and garlic, then stirring everything together.
3. Make your ricotta layer by stirring all ingredients together.
4. Layer everything, alternating between red sauce, ricotta, and cabbage. Cover with cheese and bake in the oven.
Can You Freeze Cabbage Lasagna?
Absolutely, just slice the baked and cooled lasagna into portions and freeze them in individual resealable baggies for quick and easy meals to reheat on lazy days.
As easy as this recipe is, questions always come up. Here are some things you may be wondering:
- Sliced cabbage vs. whole – I find that cut/sliced cabbage works best, as it makes the lasagna much easier to cut when eating. If you’d prefer whole cabbage leaves, follow the instructions for prepping the leaves in my keto cabbage rolls, or these cabbage wraps.
- Steaming the cabbage helps to release some of this vegetable’s water, which will prevent the cabbage lasagna from becoming soggy.
- How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Shirataki Noodles
- Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Cabbage LasagnaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Head Cabbage
- 1 Lb Sweet Italian Sausage casing removed
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped finely
- 4-6 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 – 24 Ounce Jars of Keto Spaghetti Sauce no sugar added
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano dried
- 32 Ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Cups Parmesan Cheese grated. divided
- 4 Cups Mozzarella Shredded Divided
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Large Egg
- Prepare. Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a 9×13” casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cabbage. Quarter the head of a cabbage (1), then cut each quarter into ½” strips. Place strips of cabbage into a large pot with a little water, and boil the cabbage until tender (about 10 minutes). Place cabbage in a colander and allow it to drain. Place paper towels on top to absorb as much liquid as possible from the cabbage.
- Red sauce. Meanwhile, cook Sweet Italian Sausage (1 Lb) in a large skillet, over medium heat. Break sausage into small pieces with the back of your spoon as it cooks. Once cooked, remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Remove most of the fat from the pan, leaving only 2 tablespoons (if there aren’t 2 tablespoons of fat, add olive oil). Add the onion (1 chopped finely) and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add minced garlic (4-6 cloves) and continue to cook until it’s fragrant about 1 minute. Remove veggies from heat and stir in your cooked sausage and spaghetti sauce (2-24 Ounce Jars). Set aside.
- Ricotta. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese (32 Ounces), parmesan (1 cup), mozzarella (2 cups), fresh basil (1 cup), oregano (2 teaspoons), salt (1 teaspoon), pepper (1/2 teaspoon), and large egg (1).
- Layer the ingredients. Start with 1/2 of the red meat sauce, then a layer of cabbage, then 1/2 of the ricotta mixture. Repeat 1 more time, or until you’ve used all the ingredients. Top the lasagna with the remaining parmesan (1 cup) and mozzarella (2 cups).
- Cook in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until the lasagna is heated through and the cheese on top browns in the corners. Allow lasagna to cool slightly before slicing, and enjoy!