There’s nothing quite as delicious and satisfying as lasagna stuffed chicken…
All the cheese, herbaceous sauce, and creamy deliciousness you LOVE in lasagna, without all the carbs! What’s not to love?!
Low carb chicken recipes aren’t usually the most thrilling… but I guarantee that this is one of the BEST Italian chicken recipes you’ll ever find!
This is one of those low carb recipes that’s perfect whether you’re following a strict keto lifestyle or just trying to curb the carbs a little! Because this low carb lasagna stuffed chicken is super customizable, to ensure you never have to eat a boring chicken breast ever again!
Get your appetite ready because you’re about to be blown awayyy!
Juicy and flavorful, this Italian-inspired lasagna stuffed chicken is bound to become a new family favorite! This recipe:
- Uses easy to find ingredients (no endless or expensive grocery lists)
- Makes for a delicious weeknight dinner
- Makes for convenient meal prep
- Is super flexible for all your favorite toppings!
It only takes 25 minutes to throw this recipe together. There are a few tips and tricks when it comes to handling the chicken, so let me guide you through the steps!
What makes this recipe low carb is a simple swap from store bought marinara sauce to my low carb pizza sauce! Store bought sauces tend to have lots of unnecessary added sugar which increases the carb count.
By using a homemade sauce, you’ll get to control the exact ingredients and the taste of your stuffing!
Speaking of, it’s really important to season your stuffing properly! Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper are the foundation, but feel free to add different herbs and spices to your liking!
You can top off the dish with some fresh basil or parsley, or use add some red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese. It’s up to you!
The key element to nailing lasagna stuffed chicken is to cut and cook the chicken properly! (Easier said than done, I know.)
Cutting this chicken:
You want to cut a pocket into your chicken breasts so that you can stuff it with filling. Do not cut all the way in half! That’s a sure way to make a big old mess.
Grab a sharp knife and put one hand over the chicken as you slice through its center. Start at the thicker side and make your way to the thinner side. You can choose to butterfly the chicken breast if that’s easier for you. It’s really up to you and how you want to eat your chicken.
Cooking the chicken:
To make sure you cook your chicken fully without drying it out, use a meat thermometer! Stick it into the thickest part of the meat, and you’ll know it’s ready when the temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Tools to Make This Healthy Dinner
You’ll only need a few basic tools to make lasagna stuffed chicken: a bowl to mix your healthy dinners stuffing ingredients in, as well as a sharp knife and a meat thermometer to cook the chicken.
You can store any leftover baked chicken in the fridge using an airtight container for healthy dinner ideas throughout your busy week!
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! You can freeze stuffed chicken 1 of 2 ways:
Before you bake the chicken.
This will prevent the chicken from drying out when you bake it.
Put each individual stuffed chicken in separate resealable bags, label them with the date, and freeze! When you’re ready to serve, preheat the oven to 350, and let it bake a little longer than usual.
After you bake the chicken.
TBH, I always freeze a couple of baked/stuffed chicken breasts after whipping up this recipe — technically speaking, the chicken will be drier, but not enough to affect the taste, we still love it!
Just place individual breasts in labeled resealable bags, releases as much air as possible, and toss them in the freezer.
Meal Prepping Tips
For an easy meal prep, just follow the freezing instructions above! You’ll have a yummy lunch for days to come!
Lasagna stuffed chicken is fantastic as is, but there are a few different ways to spice up healthy recipes if you want:
- Use different chicken cut. If you don’t have chicken breasts on hand, you can easily adapt this recipe to make stuffed chicken thighs instead! You’ll want to use skinless, boneless chicken thighs.
- Add more veggies! Healthy chicken recipes make awesome weeknight dinners. And you can make this dish even better by adding some veggies! Two amazing options are spinach stuffed chicken and asparagus stuffed chicken.
- Make this creamy. I love marinara, but sometimes I crave a creamier texture. If that’s the case for you, switch things up by baking a cream cheese stuffed chicken!
- Use different types of cheese. I use a mix of ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella cheese in my lasagna stuffed chicken, but any cheese of your choice will do! Add more mozz for a dreamy mozzarella stuffed chicken. Or you can try stuffed chicken parmesan!
Lasagna Stuffed ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Cup Ricotta
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Cups Marinara * I use my low carb pizza sauce
- 1 Cup Mozzarella
- 5 Chicken Breasts medium
- Fresh Basil to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta, parmesan, egg, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Set aside, this is your “lasagna stuffing”.
- Generously salt and pepper each side of the chicken breast and gently pat to adhere.
- Slice chicken breast in half to form a “pocket”.
- Place a spoonful of marinara in each chicken breast. Use the back of the spoon to spread and even out this layer.
- Spoon an even amount of lasagna stuffing in each of the chicken breasts.
- Cover with the remaining marinara.
- Sprinkle mozzarella on top.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Ensure the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink** — if using a meat thermometer, the chicken should be at least 165 F in the thickest part.
- Serve with fresh basil and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Stuffed chicken breasts are truly a meal where the world is your oyster. So here are some additional recipes to try:
- Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
- Broccoli And Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Stuffed Chicken Breast With Stuffing
- Fajita Stuffed Chicken
- Italian Stuffed Chicken Breast
Stuffed with gooey cheese and mouthwatering tomato sauce, once you taste it, you’ll be craving lasagna stuffed chicken all the time!
Let me know what you think in the comments below! Did you nail the chicken pockets? What are your favorite toppings for stuffed chicken?