These stuffed peppers without rice are overflowing with smokey, savory tex-mex flavors and addictive sharp cheddar cheese!
Little Boats of Flavor in a Sea of … More Flavor
These stuffed peppers are bursting with a medley of tasty ingredients that can only barely be contained by half a juicy, tender bell pepper. Smokey paprika + chili powder. Cheddar cheese + sour cream. Salsa verde + sauteed onions. Why make traditional stuffed peppers when you can pack in so. Much. Flavor!
Leaving out the rice means these bad boys are packed even tighter with the most delicious part of a truly delicious stuffed pepper.
I love serving these for friends and family — there’s something about food served inside other food that makes for a really cool presentation, and people are always way more impressed than I deserve because these are SO EASY to make! Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me 🤣❤️ Enjoy! – Linds x
Stuffed Peppers without Rice without Rice Video Tutorial
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
You can get as creative as you’d like with your filling for stuffed bell peppers without rice. Here’s the combo we’ve grown to love:
- Bell peppers – use your favorite color or go for a mix
- Avocado or vegetable oil – any mild tasting oil with a high smoke point will do
- Veggies: onion + mushrooms
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika
- Chicken breast – I usually poach the chicken while softening the bell peppers in the oven — this is the perfect cooking method for keto chicken recipes like this one where we don’t need to add much flavor.
- Salsa verde – can use whatever salsa you prefer here. If you’re looking for more spice, here’s a great place to add some in.
- Sour cream – or Greek yogurt for a lighter dish
- Cheddar cheese
Hot tip: bell peppers are loaded with water, which pools at the bottom of your stuffed peppers without rice when they cool. And no one likes soggy leftovers. What I always do is chop everything up before reheating them, that way, the water is less noticeable!
- Add more veggies. You can use any keto vegetables you’d like — just sauté before adding them in.
- Add some beans, for stuffed peppers with beans no rice. Pinto or black beans would be perfect here.
- Swap the meat. Not feeling chicken stuffed peppers? Use ground beef, turkey, or pork instead.
- Or, skip the meat and add more veggies for vegetarian stuffed peppers without rice.
More Chicken Recipes
Salsa Verde Stuffed Peppers Without RicePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 6 Bell Peppers sliced in half + seeds removed
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado or vegetable oil divided
- 1 cup Yellow Onion chopped
- 2 Cups Mushrooms sliced
- 3 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1.5 Pounds Chicken Breast cooked + shredded (note 1)
- 2 Cups Salsa Verde
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Soften peppers. Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place bell peppers (6) cut side down on the prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Saute. Heat oil (2 tablespoons) in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add sliced mushrooms (2 cups) and chopped yellow onions (1 cup). Cook until veggies are soft - about 5-7 minutes. Add the salt (3 teaspoons), pepper (1 teaspoon), chili powder (2 teaspoons), cumin (2 teaspoons), and smoked paprika (1 teaspoon), and toast until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine + fill. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cooked veggies, salsa verde (2 cups), and sour cream (1 cup). Stir to combine. Once the peppers are done, flip them on your baking sheet, and evenly distribute the filling among the peppers. Sprinkle cheddar (2 cups) over the top.
- Bake + enjoy! Bake your stuffed peppers in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Top with cilantro and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Quick shredded chicken: place chicken in a pot of water (water should cover the chicken by 1"). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook until your chicken reaches an internal temp of 165 F, about 10-14 minutes.