Stuffed peppers without rice is one of our family favorite low carb recipes! It’s one of those easy to make stuffed peppers and it’s totally crave-worthy.
Need low carb dinners? Make this stuffed peppers without rice recipe!
These low carb stuffed peppers blend a myriad of textures and flavors into one cheese-filled, protein-packed meal that’s better than anything you can order out! There’s plenty of veggies and spices to build layers of deep complex flavors into your stuffed peppers without rice recipe!
You’re gonna’ love these stuffed peppers – I can’t wait for you to try it! Let’s get started…
I love that this stuffed chicken without rice recipe is so easy to make and it’s actually delicious without rice! I get to enjoy some massive flavors and stay within my macros.
Plus, there’s all the savory cheesy goodness I’m happy to contend with. The best part is that this protein-packed dish is ready in under an hour, making it doable even on a busy weeknight!
Here are more reasons to love it!
- Ready in 45 minutes flat
- Really easy to make
- Versatile recipe
- Layers of intense flavor
- 20 grams of protein per serving
Here’s what you need to know before getting started:
Bell Peppers – I really love using a myriad of colored bell peppers to make this stuffed peppers without rice recipe! Make sure to roast your pepper before stuffing it! It makes for a more pliable pepper (instead of crunch… ew!) Trust me on this one.
Additional Veggies – I kept it easy by using just onions and mushrooms in this recipe. Feel free to swap or leave out whatever you aren’t feeling, just be sure to sauté them before adding them into the mix. This will combat bitterness and allow them to release their liquid so your stuffed peppers aren’t soggy.
Salsa – I prefer salsa verde in this dish, feel free to swap it with something a little zestier!
Sour Cream – Not a fan of sour cream? Feel free to swap it for Greek yogurt for a lighter dish!
Spices – A quick toast in a hot skillet is one way to wake up spices and coax out some massive flavors so you’re killing two birds with one stone.
Tools To Make
Making this stuffed peppers without rice recipe is so super simple and you don’t need any complicated machinery! Brownie points!
Here’s what you need to know….
- Knife – for chopping chicken and veggies
- Heavy bottomed skillet – for sautéing veggies and cooking chicken
- Casserole dish or baking sheet – to bake peppers in the oven
Now if you’re making slow cooker stuffed peppers or instant pot stuffed peppers then you probably won’t need the casserole dish, but you do have options.
Storing this stuffed peppers without rice recipe is simple. It keeps best in food-grade airtight containers in the fridge. When you’re ready to have one, just pull it out and reheat all the yummy goodness!
Can You Freeze This?
Alright my friends, here’s the deal. Technically you can freeze this stuffed peppers without rice recipe, but, it’s not my favorite after freezing, as the peppers get icy and reheating becomes a watery mess.
If you do decide to freeze them, use resealable bags, and be sure to squeeze out as much air as possible.
Meal Prepping Tips
This stuffed peppers without rice recipe is awesome for meal prep! I like to store them in individual meal prep containers so they’re easy to grab for low carb lunch ideas and healthy dinners in a snap!
Store fresh herbs on the side, and top your stuffed peppers with them after you reheat.
These babies are so good I’ve even made breakfast stuffed peppers before. It’s a supreme delicacy that starts the day right!
This stuffed peppers without rice recipe is so versatile, it’s easy to take it and make it your own! The healthy recipes possibilities really are endless.
Here are just a few suggestions for some subtle changes that may appeal to you.
- Try different cheeses – try Colby, pepper jack or even mozzarella (anything that melts)
- Mix up the veggies – use any low carb veggies that tickle your fancy (just sauté them before stuffing your peppers)
- Use different seasonings – add low carb taco seasoning, more of a pizza type blend or toss in some dry ranch mix
Can I Use Different Types Of Meat?
Making this stuffed peppers without rice recipe with different types of meat can give you some exciting new flavors! Use this chicken stuffed peppers recipe as your base, and mix in whatever meat you’re craving.
Just be sure to cook it before add it in, here are some ideas:
- Turkey stuffed peppers
- Ground beef stuffed peppers
- Sausage stuffed peppers
- Cubed chuck stuffed peppers
What Kind Of Peppers Can I Use?
I absolutely love using different types of peppers for this stuffed peppers without rice recipe. It gives me some dreamy new flavors to enjoy without really changing the recipe much. Make the filling per the recipe below, and stuff it into any peppers you have.
In the mood for something with a little more kick? Make stuffed poblano peppers or even stuffed banana peppers.
Looking for snack-sized bites or appetizers? Make stuffed mini peppers!
Can I Make These Spicy?
Yes! We’re currently using salsa verde in this recipe, which is pretty mild. So if you’re like to crank up the heat in these Mexican stuffed peppers, mix in your favorite HOT salsa!
You can also add some spicy taco seasoning for taco stuffed peppers.
OR, if you’re big on hot sauce, check out these buffalo chicken stuffed peppers that will make your taste buds stand up and pay attention!
Can I Add More Cheese?
There’s already a whole lotta cheese in this recipe, adding much more will create a gooey, melted mess at the bottom of your casserole dish.
When I’m in a cheesy needy mood, I’m usually better off making lasagna stuffed peppers or Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers and that takes care of my craving.
Can I Add Quinoa?
This stuffed peppers without rice recipe is a deeply delicious low carb meal. But if carbs aren’t your concern you can always add some cooked quinoa into the mix before stuffing your peppers!
Psst — for those of you watching your carbs, quinoa stuffed peppers will crank up the carb count quite a bit!
Stuffed Peppers Without RicePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 6 Bell Peppers
- 4 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil divided
- 2 Pounds Chicken Breast diced
- 1/2 Yellow Onion chopped
- 2 Cups Mushrooms sliced
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 Cups Salsa Verde
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place whole peppers on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and paprika in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pat diced chicken dry, then season each side of chicken with half the spice mix, pressing into the chicken to adhere the seasoning.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil a large heavy-bottom skillet over medium heat.
- Once shimmering, add the chicken. Cook on each side until golden brown, and the internal temp of the chicken reaches 165 F.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet.
- Add mushrooms, onions, and remaining seasoning. Cook until onions become translucent and veggies are soft - about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer cooked veggies to a large bowl, along with the chicken, salsa verde and sour cream. Stir to combine.
- Once the peppers are done cooking (they should be slightly soft), cut the tops off and scoop out the seeds and membranes.
- Divide the filling evenly into each of the peppers. Then sprinkle cheddar over the tops.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Top with cilantro and enjoy!
There are so many different ways to make stuffed peppers it may surprise you. Check out these creative, savory stuffed peppers with bold intense flavors that command attention and invite you to keep eating long after you’re full.
Here are some more Healthy dinner ideas for you to try:
- Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers. A tasty powerhouse of a meal.
- Unstuffed Peppers. Because you can’t get too much yummy.
- Stuffed Pepper Soup. The soup that eats like a meal.
- Italian Stuffed Peppers. The flavors of Italian food are just TOO GOOD to not stuff inside a pepper.
- Greek Stuffed Peppers. Olives, feta, and artichokes, oh my!
This stuffed peppers without rice is so versatile that it can suit almost any personal preference and dietary standard. Plus, its ready in less than an hour. You no longer need to negotiate between time and carbs.
Let me know what you think in the comments below, and enjoy!