Zesty, meaty, and mouthwateringly savory, these keto tacos are sure to become a staple in your menu rotation. I’ll show you my 5 favorite (and easy!) ways to make keto tortillas. Plus a saucy, juicy filling.
Looking for more keto dinners? Try this keto taco soup, keto taco casserole, and this keto taco salad.
Keto Tacos Video Tutorial
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
No One Messes With Taco Tuesday
Taco Tuesday is a nearly sacred tradition in our house. Because tacos on Tuesday. And Wednesday, and Thursday, and Friday– Really, every day of the week– is how it should be! But celebrating taco Tuesday is easiest to remember, so that’s what we do. Rain or shine.
Now the perfect taco will look different for everyone…
Today, I’ll be sharing my favorite version of beef/turkey tacos– Yes, you can use turkey here, and your tacos won’t be dry, boring, or bland. Scoop that meat into your keto taco shells of choice (options below), pile on your favorite toppings, and you’ve got yourself an EASY, family favorite, weeknight dinner go-to. Enjoy! 🌮💚 Linds x
Low Carb Tacos Ingredient Notes
As with any taco recipe, you have options. And I can’t promise every flavor combination will be amazing, but I can promise you that the meat is succulent, juicy and perfect. And my low carb tortillas and cheese taco shells have made me forget about traditional taco shells. So I’m trusting you to pick your favorite toppings to do them justice!
Here are your keto taco options:
Step #1: The Meat
As mentioned, you can use these ingredients to make a turkey or ground beef taco recipe. But the true secret to these keto tacos is the other filling ingredients…
- Seasoning. Did you know most store bought taco seasoning has added sugar? Make your own keto taco seasoning, or read labels carefully. You’ll want to taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking once everything has simmered a bit.
- Onion and tomato sauce add a few carbs to these keto tacos, but So. Much. Flavor. They also make the meat super juicy and succulent.
Step #2: The Tortilla
You can use whatever your tastebuds and timeframe desire. Keep in mind the carb count will vary for each. Here are your options:
- For traditional keto tacos (3g net carbs/per), use my pliable and fluffy keto tortillas. YUM!
- Crispy low carb tacos (0g net carb/per) can be made with my cheese taco shells. They’re perfect and made from 1 ingredient only.
- Keto taco bowls are easy to throw together over a bed of cauliflower rice. Cauliflower rice has 3g net carbs/per 1 cup.
- Veggie wraps also make great tortilla subs — try your keto tacos lettuce wrapped or jicama tortillas (available at Trader Joe’s). Lettuce leaves are about .5 g net carbs/per.
- Stuffed veggies like baked bell peppers (ala taco stuffed bell peppers) or stuffed avocados are also great options. Bell peppers have 2g, and avocados 1g net carb/per half.
Step #3: The Toppings
Most traditional taco toppings are low carb… whoot! Some ingredients you may want to skip include fruit salsas, beans, and corn. Other than that, load up on:
- Avocado or keto guacamole
- Salsa or pice de gallo
- Sour cream
More Keto Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Keto Tortilla Chips
- Zucchini Enchiladas
- Keto Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Keto Margarita
Keto TacosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Onion chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Keto Taco Seasoning (note 1)
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey or Beef
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- 8 Ounces Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
Serve In (Pick One, note 2):
- Keto Tortillas
- Cheese Taco Shells
- Avocado, Lettuce Wraps, Baked/softened Bell Pepper
- Lettuce shredded
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Tortillas. Prep your tortillas (the meat cooks quickly). If using my low carb tortillas, be sure to wrap them in a slightly damp kitchen towel as you prep the filling (to keep them pliable and soft).
- Saute. Heat oil (2 tablespoons) in a large skillet over medium heat. Once shimmering. Add the onion (1 cup) and saute until it softens and just begins to brown, 5-8 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning (3 tablespoons) and cook for 2-3 additional minutes to toast the spices, you'll know they're done once they become fragrant.
- Meat. Add turkey or beef (1 pound), and break up with your spoon as it cooks and slightly browns. Cook until no longer pink. Add the salt (1 teaspoon), pepper (1/2 teaspoon), tomato sauce (8 ounces), and apple cider vinegar (1 1/2 teaspoons), and give everything a stir. Simmer until the sauce thickens to coat the meat, 4 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.,
- Serve. Scoop the meat into your tortillas, and cover with your toppings. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Most store bought taco seasoning contains added sugar. Read labels carefully, or make from scratch using my recipe.
- Carb count for the tortilla options:
- My low carb tortillas recipe: 3g net carbs/per
- Cheese taco shells: 0g net carb/per
- Cauliflower rice: 3g net carbs/per 1 cup
- Lettuce leaves: .5 g net carbs/per.
- Bell Pepper: 2g net carbs/per half
- Avocado: 1g net carbs/per half
- Nutritional information is for 1/4 of the meat ONLY and was calculated with turkey as the meat. All toppings/tortillas will be additional: