OK guys, this low carb crunchwrap supreme recipe is a little different than the Taco Bell classic, but it’s got all the same delicious flavors, and we can’t get enough!
This low carb recipes surprisingly quick, and the reward for your effort will be four scrumptious, filling, tasty burritos, with a crunchy center, smothered in an addictive cheese sauce.
Now, instead of low carb tortillas, this low carb ground beef recipes sandwiched in cabbage leaves, and you guys, THEY’RE MAGIC. Singinfinatly less work with an equal amount of flava.
This low carb lunch ideas a decadent way to jazz up and add variety to your meal plan! Let’s eat!
Well, the low carb crunchwrap supreme is one of my favorite to-go meals, healthy style! Plus:
- Ready in 30 minutes!
- Basic, inexpensive ingredients that are easy to find!
- All your favorite Mexican flavors and textures, finagled into one deliciously, cheesy, crunchy bite!
OK, friends! A few simple steps and you’ll be munching away on these scrumptious low carb crunchwrap supremes in NO TIME!
You need a few prepared items for this recipe, but all of this can be whipped up with pretty basic ingredients.
Cabbage – I think this leafy green needs more love! It’s packed with nutrients like vitamin C! When it’s sliced thin, it’s perfect for slaws, but its large, sturdy leaves work perfectly as tortillas, wrap, or bread subs.
Low carb taco seasoning – You could just buy store bought seasoning, but once you see how easy it is to make your own, you’ll never go back!! It’s so inexpensive and doesn’t have any yucky fillers or added sugars.
Low carb nacho cheese – We’ll use some low carb queso to add delicious melty cheesiness to our crunchwrap supreme! If you’d like to save some time here (although it will have much less flavor), sub in some shredded low carb cheese.
Cheddar – speaking of cheese, we have another cheesy element in our wrap!! We’re going to toast a pile of cheddar to make cheese crisps to add some amazing extra crunch in the middle of each tasty bite!! (Traditional crunchwraps use tostada shells here, cheese is our FAVE sub)
You can also use this method to make cheese taco shells that are perfect for low carb tacos!
Tools To Make
You need a few tools for this low carb crunchwrap supreme recipe, but nothing too crazy. You surely have these around:
- Large Pot – You’ll need a big pot to boil the water to blanch the cabbage leaves.
- Baking Sheet – To make the cheese crisps. You’re only making 4 piles, so you don’t need a huge pan.
- Parchment paper – Note: this is NOT wax paper. This silicone-coated paper will help your cheese crisp up and lift right off.
- Skillet – You want a good-sized pot or skillet for browning up your ground beef.
Although this recipe is easy, there are a few steps to make these crunchwraps come together perfectly. Here are some tips to save you time!
- Start boiling the water first, then make the cheese crisps. Everything else can be handled while these 2 items are in the works.
- If you see yourself making crunchwraps often, then preboil your cabbage. We’ll only need 12 cabbage leaves for this recipe, so you can easily freeze the rest for future use. This will take away a bit of the cabbage leaf’s crunch, but it doesn’t bother us! The queso is also great to make in bulk and freeze in portioned baggies.
- Make sure to remove as much of the core as possible. This will make removing the leaves as easier.
- If the leaves are hard to remove, simply allow the cabbage to steam a bit longer.
- Remove the thick part of the cabbage spine (CAREFULLY!) by sliding a sharp knife over it.
This low carb crunchwrap supreme taste best immediately, as the cheese crisp will get soggy. So once you bake the crisps, you’ll want to assemble and EAT! Or your crunchwrap will lack that craveable crunch.
This crunch wrap is best eaten with a fork and knife, although you can always attempt to eat it burrito style. You can always smother it with some more low carb cheese sauce, or serve it with a side of salsa and low carb tortilla chips for a whole meal!
- Rather have bread? I feel you! Try these almond flour tortillas for a more traditional vibe! I prefer cabbage because it’s much less work, but you do you.
- If you don’t have cabbage, you can use butter leaf or romaine to make low carb lettuce wraps instead. Psst — if using either of these, don’t attempt to steam the leaves!
- Most of these ingredients are also in my low carb taco soup, if you’re looking for a cool weather dish.
- Don’t feel like a crunch wrap? You can easily turn this into a low carb taco salad! Chop or shred the cabbage, and toss it all together. Break up the cheese crisps to sprinkle on top like croutons.
- Dump all the filling ingredients over a pile of low carb chips or sliced and baked bell peppers for low carb nachos!
Low Carb Crunchwrap SupremePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Head Cabbage cored (see photos above)
- 1 Cup Cheddar
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Pound Ground Beef or ground turkey
- 4 Tablespoons Low Carb Taco Seasoning or 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 Cup Low Carb Nacho Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Lettuce shredded
- 1 Tomato diced + deseeded
- Bring a pot of water large enough to submerge your head of cabbage to boil.
- Once boiling, add the cored cabbage, and allow the cabbage to cook for two minutes.
- Use 2 sets of tongs to remove 1 cabbage leaf at a time from the cabbage. If they aren't easy to remove, you'll need the cabbage to cook a little longer. Well need 12 stemmed cabbage leaves for our crunchwraps, so save the center of the cabbage for another recipe.
- Set cabbage aside on a plate while we prep the filling...
- Remove the thick part of the cabbage leaves by sliding a sharp knife over the top.
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of cheddar into flat 4" round circles.
- Bake in preheated oven for 6 minutes, or until the edges start to brown around the edges.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef, breaking up with the back of your spoon into small pieces as it cooks. Cook until completely brown.
- Drain excess fat from the pan, then return pan to heat.
- Stir in taco seasoning and 2/3 cup of water. Cook for 2-4 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Place 3 cabbage leaves down on a flat surface with the center of the leaves slightly overlapping in the middle.
- Star with a dollop of nacho cheese (or shredded cheddar), then meat, cheese crisp, tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and last another dollop of nacho cheese.
- Tear each cabbage leaf in half so it is able to fold more easily, and fold each half in toward the center.
- Cut crunch wrap in half, and enjoy! (I find these are easiest to eat with a fork and knife).
Get yourself ready for Taco Tuesday with these tasty treats:
- Mexican chicken salad – High protein and loads of veggies make this a delicious and healthy option.
- Low carb quesadilla – You’ll fall in love with the melty cheese in this dish.
- Ground chicken tacos – Mix up your proteins by trying chicken instead of beef!
- Fajita stuffed chicken – This elevated version of fajitas may be your new favorite.
- Zucchini Enchiladas – Yet another way zucchini saves the day!
Did this low carb crunchwrap supreme satisfy your Taco Bell hankering? Tell me whatcha though in the comments below, and ENJOY!