Savory, juicy meat, coated in a sugar free glaze, all wrapped up in super crispy bacon, this keto bacon wrapped meatloaf is a major upgrade to the classic!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
Every family has a go-to meatloaf recipe… And this one is ours. It’s simple, straightforward, and crazy easy to make, as every meatloaf should be. But where it really shines is in its cooking method. And here’s why:
First, you’ll bake it on a rimmed baking sheet. That’s right, not a baking dish, as it traps the liquid and steams the meat, giving you a mushy texture. A rimmed baking sheet allows the warmth of your oven to fully circulate around the loaf.
Second, after baking, we’ll give it a quick broil to get our bacon (actually!) crispy and carmelize the sauce. Because what’s the point in wrapping something in soft bacon? Nothing.
So, in addition to the BACON WRAP, and the SUGAR FREE GLAZE. It’s crispy, it’s juicy, it’s sugar free, gluten free, and low carb. It’s comfort food at its finest, that I know you and your family will love. Enjoy! 💖 – Linds x
How to Make Keto Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the glaze and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Once shimmering, add onion, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Sauté until the onion is soft.
- Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Place cooked veggies in a large bowl and stir in 1/3 of the glaze.
- Add the ground beef, egg, pork rinds, remaining salt, and pepper and combine thoroughly.
- Layer bacon strips along the bottom of a 9×5 loaf pan, overlapping each piece slightly.
- Spread 1/3 of the glaze over the bacon.
- Press meatloaf into loaf pan over the glaze. Fold each piece of bacon over the top of the meatloaf.
- Flip the loaf pan onto your parchment paper-lined baking sheet, so the bacon slices are facing up on the baking sheet. Bake meatloaf in the preheated oven for 1 hr – 1hr 30min — your meatloaf is done.
- Brush the top of your warm meatloaf with the remaining glaze. Allow the meatloaf to cool 15 minutes before cutting into it. Enjoy!
What You’ll Need
- Keto BBQ sauce, or: tomato paste, water, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, mustard, onion powder, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, Swerve or Lakanto (this is our brown sugar sub)
- Bacon – watch for products with added sugar. I prefer thick cut bacon here.
- Avocado oil – really any oil that’s mild in flavor with a high smoke point will do. This includes vegetable, canola, or sunflower oil.
- Ground beef – I like 80/20 here. Lean ground beef has less flavor.
- Eggs – Our binder.
- Pork rinds – This gives the liquid somewhere to go, while infusing (even more) bacon flavor. If keto bacon wrapped meatloaf with pork rinds doesn’t sound like your thing, you can sub in almond flour.
Freeze + Reheat Tips
Freeze your low carb bacon wrapped meatloaf in individual portions in resealable bags. Reheat in the oven to re-crisp the bacon. Serve with extra sauce!
- Make it Spicy, with diced green chilies inthe filling, or cayenne pepper in the glaze.
- Swap the sauce, a keto ketchup glaze would be the classic option.
- Add keto vegetables, to the filling and saute with your onion– don’t add too much, or your ingredients won’t bind.
More Keto Beef Recipes
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
Keto Bacon Wrapped MeatloafPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 6 Ounce Tomato Paste canned
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Mustard use dijon for some extra spice
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Swerve or Lakanto note 1
- 12 Strips of Bacon note 2
- 2 Tablespoons Mild Tasting Oil note 3
- 1/2 Medium Onion chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt divided
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Black Pepper divided
- 2 Lb Ground Beef
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Pork rinds crushed. Can sub for almond flour
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Glaze. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the glaze and set aside.
- Saute. Heat oil (2 tablespoons) in a large pan over medium heat. Once shimmering, add onion (1/2 chopped), 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Sauté until the onion is soft (about 10 minutes). Add minced garlic (4 cloves) and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Combine. Place cooked veggies in a large bowl and stir in 1/3 of the glaze. Add the ground beef (2 Lb), eggs (3), pork rinds (1 cup), remaining salt, and pepper (1 teaspoon each) and combine thoroughly.
- Assemble. Layer bacon strips (12) along the bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan, overlapping each piece slightly. Spread 1/3 of the glaze over the bacon. Press meatloaf into loaf pan over the glaze. Fold each piece of bacon over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake. Flip the loaf pan onto your parchment paper-lined baking sheet, so the bacon slices are facing up on the baking sheet. Bake meatloaf in the preheated oven for 1 hr - 1hr 30min -- your meatloaf is done once a meat thermometer inserted into the center reads 155F. With the meatloaf still in the oven, turn the oven to broil, and cook until the bacon becomes crispy - about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve. Brush the top of your warm meatloaf with the remaining glaze. Allow the meatloaf to cool 15 minutes before cutting into it. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Swerve/Lakanto - used as a brown sugar substitute, these are both erythritol-based. Feel free to sub in your favorite sweetener and adjust the level of sweetness to your liking.
- Bacon often contains added sugar, read labels carefully.
- Oil - avocado oil is my favorite, canola or vegetable oil will work as well.
- Beef - I use 80/20, leaner beef will give you a drier meatloaf.