Bacon wrapped meatloaf may be my favorite three words in the English language, especially when it comes to fantastic ideas for low carb dinners!
This is one of those low carb recipes that not only DOESN’T taste low carb, but it’s also mouth-watering and totally unforgettable!
This is one of my tastiest low carb casseroles, and the sweet and spicy glaze on top is to die for!! One bite, and you’ll be in disbelief that low carb ground beef recipes can taste this good…
Let’s dive in!
This dish is so easy to throw together and is worth every minute. Plus:
- Perfect for meal prepping – make ahead of time and warm-up as needed. It’s even better the second time!
- Ready in 2 hours, but most of that is bake time. And at 350 degrees, it’s perfect for cooking some side dishes at the same time!
- All of the made-at-home flavors we crave in a meatloaf, down to the addictive vinegar and tomato glaze, PLUS crispy bacon!
This bacon wrapped meatloaf recipe has a few special tricks to make it much more flavorful than your average family dinner. Check out my tips!
Here are a few ingredients hints to make sure this bacon wrapped meatloaf recipe (and any other healthy beef recipes) start on the right foot!
Ground beef — this meat comes in a variety of fat contents, with the highest amount being in ground beef, then ground chuck, ground round, and ground sirloin. More fat means more flavor, but it does cook-off, so you’ll end up with less loaf at the end. I usually go for an 80/20 ground beef for this (and most of my low carb ground beef recipes).
Sweetener — If you aren’t watching your carbs, opt for regular sugar.
If you’re looking for a sugar-free alternative (like me!), Check out erythritol — it’s an almost magic, zero-calorie sweetener that’s plant-derived. It has no effect on blood sugar, and it’s a perfect 1 to 1 replacement for sugar. We’ll use it here to sweeten up the sauce.
Almond flour — This flour comes from ground almonds and can come in a variety of textures. In this recipe, it’s taking the place of breadcrumbs, so you can use a courser almond flour.
Bacon — MMMMM, the best ingredient of this dish! Use whatever cut you like best, but watch for ones with added sugar (if you’re watching your carbs). These usually say something like maple or brown sugar, but check the label to make sure!
Tools To Make
These nifty tools will make this recipe as effortless as possible!
- 9×5 loaf pan – While many people bake their meatloaves in pans this size, we’re actually just using it for a mold!
- Parchment paper – This silicone coated paper will make sure your meatloaf lifts right off of the baking pan and onto a plate for easy serving.
- Brush – Could you apply the glaze without a brush? Yes. Will it be harder and more frustrating? Quite possibly. Save yourself the trouble by investing in an inexpensive silicone brush that will let you apply glaze, egg wash, and butter with ease to all of your healthy recipes.
- Rimmed Baking Sheet – to cook the meatloaf. I prefer cooking my meatloaf on a baking sheet as the air in the oven can circulate around the meatloaf, and the liquid is able to release. This helps the glaze to caramelize and the meat to brown, rather than steam.
This scrumptious bacon wrapped meatloaf recipe stores beautifully in the fridge and somehow tastes even better over the next few days. Make a loaf, store in an airtight container, and when you run out of healthy dinner ideas, BAM! A delicious dinner is served!
Can You Freeze This?
This bacon wrapped meatloaf recipe is gloriously hearty, so, yes, feel free to freeze this bad boy until you’re ready for it. Freeze it whole, prebaked, to have a quick meal ready for company on short notice.
Or bake it, slice it and freeze individual portions in airtight containers to have a quick and healthy lunch anytime.
To keep this in the category of healthy casseroles, skip the mashed potatoes and serve it up with something like pureed cauliflower, smashed brussel sprouts or a classic low carb green bean casserole.
This bacon wrapped meatloaf recipe is easy to customize with your favorite veggies, meats, and seasonings!
Can I Add Breadcrumbs?
If you aren’t eating low carb, and would rather use breadcrumbs than almond flour, make a more traditional loaf by swapping almond flour for bread crumbs, and adding 1 cup of milk. You’ll also want to cut out 1 egg.
Now, for my fellow low carb-ers, skip the breadcrumbs to keep this a low carb meatloaf.
What Kind Of Sauce Can I Use For The Glaze?
I’ve included a recipe for a tangy, tomato-based glaze using erythritol as a sweetener that is absolutely delicious!! You could also use a low carb BBQ sauce or your favorite traditional BBQ sauce!
How Can I Add More Veggies?
Meatloaf is a great place to hide some pureed veggies like cauliflower or summer squash. You can also pair this amazing meatloaf with some veggie-stuffed sides like this low carb squash casserole or cauliflower rice casserole.
Can I Use Different Types Of Meat?
This bacon wrapped meatloaf recipe is pretty versatile, so feel free to use whatever high fat meat you’re craving or what you have on hand (pork, beef, lamb).
Can I Make This Spicy?
You can add any variety of spices to this dish that you like. Add some diced green chilies to your meatloaf and add some cayenne to your glaze for a spicy kick.
Bacon Wrapped MeatloafPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
BBQ Sauce Glaze (You can use traditional BBQ Sauce if not low carb):
- 12 Strips of Bacon
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Medium Onion chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Teaspoons Salt divided
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Black Pepper divided
- 2 Lb Ground Beef
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- Preheat to oven to 350 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the glaze and set aside.
- Place pieces of bacon in 9x5 loaf pan, overlapping each piece slightly.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons of glaze over the bacon in the loaf pan, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once shimmering, add onion and 1 teaspoon of salt plus ½ teaspoon pepper until the onion is soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Place cooked veggies into a large bowl and stir 3 tablespoons of glaze.
- Add the ground beef, eggs, almond flour, remaining salt and pepper and combine thoroughly.
- Press meatloaf into loaf pan over the slices of bacon.
- Fold each piece of bacon over the top of the meatloaf (mine didn’t reach all the way across the bottom, this is ok, you won’t see it).
- Place parchment paper lined baking sheet upside down over the top of your meatloaf, and flip the pan, so the bottom of the meatloaf is upright on the baking sheet.
- Brush remaining glaze over the top of the bacon wrapped meatloaf and bake in the oven for 1 hr - 1hr 30min, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center reads 155F.
- Allow the meatloaf to cool 15 minutes before cutting into it.
- Brush additional low carb bbq sauce over the top (if you’d like) before serving and enjoy!
This bacon wrapped meatloaf is sure to convince you that healthy casseroles make for delicious, filling dinners. Want some more options? Check these out!
- Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole. No bun necessar.
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole. Skip the crust for an easier to eat and lower-carb alternative!
- Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie. You won’t miss the mashed potatoes here.
- Low Carb Breakfast Casserole. Start your day right!
- Low Carb Tuna Casserole. One of our family favorites!
I know this bacon wrapped meatloaf recipe is going to knock your socks off. Leave me a comment below and let me know what you think! Enjoy!