This homemade low carb bbq sauce is instant meal inspiration in a jar!!!
Because everyone (low carb or not) LOVES bbq sauce. It’s a kitchen classic that can transform a mehhh meal into a grilled masterpiece. Unfortunately, most store bought bbq sauces are loaded with ingredients that don’t make the low carb food list, but fortunately, whipping up your own is crazy easy.
The same meals you’ve loved for years are about to get a tasty, saucy makeover with this low carb bbq sauce. Summer cookouts will smell even better than ever before. Oh, and don’t forget to congratulate your favorite lean protein, because it just found it’s tangy, smooth soulmate!
Are you ready for a serious saucy upgrade? Read on to find out how effortless throwing together a homemade low carb bbq sauce really is!
How to Make Low Carb BBQ Sauce
Making bbq sauce is crazy easy, literally, easier than going to the store and grabbing a low carb bbq sauce brands jar off the shelf.
Just combine your ingredients in a small saucepan, and simmer together — this will allow the flavors to marry and the low carb bbq sauce to thicken. Stash your bbq sauce in an airtight container and in the fridge for ribs, tofu, and beyond!
How to Use This keto bbq sauce
Upgrade your keto dinners and keto lunches with a slather or dip of this keto bbq sauce! Low carb bbq sauce is the perfect flavor element to complement those gorgeous sunny days that compel you to the porch to dine. My perfect summer dinner formula consists of this bbq sauce a sparkling water, grilled low carb vegetables, and fresh, lean cuts of meat.
Here are a few other low carb foods that shine with a bit of this low carb bbq sauce…
- Grilled keto vegetables, such as zucchini, summer squash, onions or portobello mushrooms.
- Grilled meats, think bbq chicken, ribs, or brisket!
- Low carb meatloaf, swap ketchup for a sweet and smoky slathering of this low carb bbq sauce.
- How about low carb pizza? Bbq chicken crust pizza maybe?
- Don’t forget bbq chicken sandwiches — check out this low carb bread, then add some instant pot bbq chicken and cheddar cheese.
I like stashing a jar of this sauce in the fridge for low carb meal prep! Add a spoonful to instant pot shredded chicken, omelettes, your bunless burger, or whatever is on the low carb dinners menu.
Summertime cookouts are, of course, the best place to showcase your brag-worthy homemade bbq sauce, but no matter what time of year, just add sunglasses and a lounge chair and you are ready to relax and unwind with breezy, scrumptious low carb meals. Homemade low carb sauces are a simple and worthwhile upgrade to your rotation of low carb recipes.
sugar free bbq sauce variations
As delicious as the sugar free bbq sauce recipe below is, you can simply add your own twist based on personal preference! Here are a few ideas…
A little sweet.
Low carb bbq sauce recipe stevia sweetened is my favorite way to achieve that pleasing sweet-and-sour barbecue quality. Although erythritol is typically my favorite of the keto sweeteners, I find it adds a gritty texture to this recipe.
Start with half teaspoon of liquid stevia for guaranteed sweet-tooth approval. If you aren’t a stevia fan, opt for any liquid sweetener you prefer.
A little spicy.
Add sriracha, or your spice contributor of choice!
A little smokey…
An optional ingredient in this low carb bbq sauce recipe is liquid smoke. Personally, I always add it in.
I know what you’re thinking, how they heck do they get smoke in a bottle?? Liquid smoke is made from smoke collected from hickory or mesquite burned at high temperatures. I know it skeeves some people out, so your keto sauce, your rules.
Playing with smoke and spice is a fun way to add personality to your low carb meal plan, with only a little bit of effort! Keep your low carb shopping list seasonings fun, seasonal, and fresh, so that this versatile recipe can take on a whole new personality every time you make it!
Low Carb BBQ Sauce Recipe
Pull out your measuring spoons and can opener and get ready to simmer, because I can’t wait any longer to introduce my favorite guilt free low carb bbq sauce recipe!
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do, let me know your thoughts in the comments below! What did you use the bbq sauce for? Enjoy!
Low Carb BBQ Sauce
- 6 Oz Tomato Paste canned
- ¼ Cup Water
- ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
- 2 Tablespoons Mustard use dijon for some extra spice
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Stevia (optional) you can swap for other low carb sweeteners
- 2 Teaspoons Liquid Smoke (optional) for a smokey flavor
- Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and stir to combine.
- Heat on medium heat until you start to see bubbles form, then bring the sauce to a very low simmer.
- Simmer until your sauce reaches desired thickness (the longer you simmer, the more liquid will evaporate). I usually heat mine for about 5 minutes.
- Allow sauce to cool and enjoy!