I absolutely LOVE the tangy, sunshiney flavor of mustard vinaigrette!
This low carb salad dressing has a rich, complex flavor profile that just wakes up your taste buds — the sweet and savory nuances rally to bring out the best in so many different low carb foods.
I’m telling you, you’ll be shocked at how this keto salad dressing recipe coaxes incredible flavor out of some simple ingredients.
Low carb salad dressing store bought versions typically contain loads of added sugars and preservatives that weigh it down and reduce the nutritional value. Even store-bought keto friendly salad dressing brands are no match for this eloquent little dressing made from real, simple ingredients.
This low carb dressing is more than just my favorite dressing on my low carb food list, it’s also one of the most versatile low carb recipes in my arsenal! I won’t keep you in suspense any longer, let’s get started!
How To Make Mustard Vinaigrette
Contemplating what kind of keto salad dressing to buy is a thing of the past…
This lovely mustard vinaigrette is an AMAZING low carb dressing for salads and low carb vegetables, heck, it’s even an incredible marinade for low carb meal prep.
Plus, making this mustard vinaigrette to dress up your low carb meals is pretty straight-forward! A two-minute project, and you probably already have the ingredients on your low carb shopping list.
Mix it up!
Dissolve the dry ingredients in the vinegar first, to combine the flavors.
Adding the olive oil afterwards helps to marry all the flavors together for the beginning of a brilliant low carb dressing. Experts have a theory that adding the olive oil first creates a film around the other foods, preventing the flavors from mixing well. I always do it last, just to be safe.
Pro Tip: Add ingredients to a protein shake shaker bottle and shake vigorously to combine. The little shaker tool mixes the ingredients perfectly while the container stores the dressing well and pours beautifully.
If you’d like to add some sweetness to the tangy mix, stir it on in! Traditionally sugar is used, but if you’re sticking to a low carb food list, opt for erythritol — it has 0 calories, is diabetic friendly and it doesn’t spike blood sugar!
Taste the mustard vinaigrette dressing.
Add more salt/mustard/sweetener to suit your personal preferences — just keep in mind the classic vinaigrette ratio of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil, for a successful dressing every time!
Vinaigrette Ingredients + Swaps
The versatility of this full-flavored vinaigrette is one of its best qualities — Spruce up low carb side dishes, dress keto vegetables or marinade low carb dinners, all with the same fabulous 2-minute recipe!
This low carb dressing is a busy mom’s dream!! Create endless flavor combinations with just a little imagination, what’s already in your cabinet and some fresh herbs!
- Toss in some fresh herbs for a tasty, aromatic flair.
- Use whole grain mustard — which will allow this low carb dressing to keep longer in the fridge! Whole grain mustard has the highest number of seed hulls for better mucilage which creates a thicker, more stable vinaigrette that lasts longer.
- Swapping it out for Dijon will give your multifaceted dressing a tangy little kick (sunshine with attitude) that lasts almost as long.
- Substitute veggie oil for a lighter tasting dressing that’ll put your keto side dishes in overdrive!
- Put a really tangy twist on your low carb meal plan by swapping out the apple cider vinegar for balsamic vinegar.
Spruce up low carb lunches and keto lunches by adding a splash of vinaigrette, or use it to transform low carb dinner ideas into the tastiest reality ever.
Best Veggies For This Vinaigrette Recipe
Choosing the best veggies for this vinaigrette recipe is really a matter of personal opinion.
Using this low carb dressing for lighter greens, like butter lettuce and romaine, is a light, tangy flavor combination that makes for great low carb lunch ideas.
Adding more robust veggies, like broccoli and asparagus, creates an intense tasting pleasure you’ll thoroughly enjoy as the acid in the vinaigrette recipe helps tame the bitterness in the greens.
Even if you are used to eating low carb ranch dressing, you’re going to love the taste of this light, flavorful vinaigrette recipe.
More Low Carb Salad Dressing
Adding a side salad to your keto dinners can be a treat again!
This low carb salad dressing recipe is versatile enough to make a low carb sauce for low carb fries and low carb wraps. It’s like the superhero keto sauce of the homemade salad dressing world.
Here are some other low carb salad dressing ideas:
- Keto ranch dressing
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Italian vinaigrette
- Peanut sauce – thin out by adding coconut milk
- Veggie dip – thin out with heavy cream or Greek yogurt
Mustard Vinaigrette Recipe
Throwing together this mustard vinaigrette takes less than 5 minutes, but it’ll taste like you’ve been in the kitchen for hours!
Dressing up vegetables and marinating dinner meats is only the beginning — This low carb dressing is totally customizable, and can become as tangy, sunshiney or sweet as you like!
Hit me up in the comments below, and let me know your favorite way to eat this brilliant mustard vinaigrette. Enjoy!
- Combine mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar/erythritol (if using) together in a bowl with a whisk, or add to a shaker bottle** and shake to combine.
- Add the olive oil and stir/shake once more.
- Taste test the dressing and add more salt/mustard/oil/sweetener to suit your preferences.
- Pour dressing over your salad, right before you plan to serve, and enjoy!