You guys, sometimes I just get a craving for low carb chicken recipes that are scrumptious, sweet, AND salty, and this Chinese chicken salad is the answer to that call!
This is one of those amazing low carb recipes that’s perfect for curling up on the couch and binge-watching your favorite show…
I know, I know – low carb salads and guilty pleasures don’t normally go together, but this is one of those low carb lunch ideas that I literally build my week around.
You’re about to meet your new favorite chicken salad. Let’s start!
Looking for more keto lunch ideas? Check out my keto chicken salad, avocado egg salad, or my strawberry salad.
What I Love About This Chinese Chicken Salad
This Chinese chicken salad is practically perfect in every way!
- It’s super fast – combine ingredients, toss, and go! Perfect for having guests over.
- You have most of these ingredients on hand, and the fresh ones last a good while in the fridge.
- It satisfies that crunch factor we crave!
This healthy chicken salad is amazing to eat anytime! Plus, you can meal prep to make it in a flash!
The dressing – A classic combination of umami flavors come together in this salad dressing! Wait to dress the salad until right before serving to preserve the veggie’s crispness.
If you aren’t watching your carbs, feel free to use regular sugar or honey vs. Lakanto/Swerve (both of these are keto sweeteners with zero calories/net carbs);
The veggies – Lettuce, carrots, green onions, and celery are the keto vegetables in this salad.
The chicken – You can use whatever type of cooked chicken you have here — poaching chicken while chopping the veggies is a great time saver.
I like turning this into a rotisserie chicken salad with shucked rotisserie. Canned chicken salad is another option with drained and flaked canned chicken.
Everything else – To keep this recipe low carb, I add keto nuts for crunch. If that’s not a concern, sub in some crispy noodles or ramen!
Tools to Make
No special tools needed for this dish. This Chinese chicken salad is one of the simplest and delicious Chinese chicken recipes!
I store this Chinese chicken salad in an airtight container in the fridge with the dressing on the side. That keeps it from getting soggy.
This salad is so filling and flavor-packed, we usually eat it as a main. But if you’d like to serve it as a side salad, enjoy it with other Chinese food favorites like keto beef and broccoli or cauliflower fried rice.
Looking for some ways to customize this Chinese chicken salad? Check out these fun alternatives!
- Add more veggies, even if they aren’t classically in this salad — add sliced avocado for an avocado chicken salad, or tomatoes and cucumbers like this Greek chicken salad.
- Add some fruit. Often, Chinese chicken salad contains mandarin oranges which you can add, or try diced pineapple, like in this Thai chicken salad.
- Adjust the dressing to your taste, either by making it sweeter or more spicey (like this buffalo chicken salad). You can also add in additional spices if that’s what you’re craving. Check out this curry chicken salad for some inspo.
More Keto Salad Recipes
Try these incredible variations and take advantage of the flexibility of the always reliable, but never boring, chicken and veggie combo!
Chinese Chicken SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 Cups Lettuce finely shredded (I use Romain)
- 2 Cups Red Cabbage finely shredded
- 1 Cup Carrots shredded
- 1/2 Cup Green Onions chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 2 Cups Chicken shredded
- 3 Teaspoons Ginger grated
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 2 Teaspoons Swerve or Lakanto (see sweetener notes below) or 1 1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
- Sesame Seeds
- 1 Cup Almonds slivers. (Can sub for crispy noodles or ramen if you aren't watching your carbs)
- Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Add all dressing ingredients to a salad shaker or small bowl, shake/mix and set aside.
- Add the salad ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Pour half the dressing over the salad, toss together, and taste. Add more dressing based on your preference. (We usually use 3/4 of the dressing, but it's easier to add more than remove!).
- Top with chopped cilantro, almonds (1 cup) and sesame seeds and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Lakanto, Swerve, or Erythritol. I stick to Lakanto and Swerve which are a 1:1 swap with traditional sugar. If using a different brand of Erythritol, keep in mind it's 70% as sweet as sugar, so you may need to add more to taste.
- Mild Tasting Oil. You want an oil with a high smoke point and mild flavor -- think avocado, vegetable, safflower, sunflower, peanut. Skip EVOO, coconut, or sesame oil.
- For a more traditional version of this recipe, swap 1/2 cup of sliced almonds with 1/2 cup of crunchy noodles or ramen.
- To cut down on carbs skip the carrots (2g carbs per serving) and cut down on the almonds (currently, they add 5g carbs per serving).
- Nutritional information is for 1 serving if you divide this recipe into 6 servings: