Avocado chicken salad is our FAVORITE way to eat chicken salad!
As you know, avocados are great for your heart, eyes, cholesterol and so much more. Plus, they’re simply scrumptious. AND! They make the perfect mayonnaise sub. Don’t believe me? You will after 1 bite of this. They’re seriously just as creamy…
Add some lime, cilantro, and red onions, and you’ve got a chicken salad that’s so flavor-packed, no one will believe they’re eating one of your low carb recipes.
So next time you’re looking for low carb chicken recipes to zest up your meal plan, look no further than this low carb chicken salad recipe. Let’s dive in!
Here’s why this chicken salad gets my vote every time:
- Incredibly nutritious — avocados are loaded with heart-healthy fats and fiber. Take that mayonnaise!
- Super easy to make. It’s a mash and mix kinda dish.
- WAY more exciting than traditional chicken salad recipes. Do you get as bored of plain old chicken breast as I go?! This avocado chicken salad recipe is here to spice things up.
Chicken avocado salad is a simple one-bowl dish that comes together in a flash. There are no complicated gadgets, no long list of directions, and most importantly, no way you’re not going to relish in that deep, creamy flavor!
Avocados – This chicken salad recipe calls for avocado instead of Greek yogurt or mayo. Make sure you grab haas avocados, as they’re creamier, higher in fat, and add way more flavor to avocado recipes!
Chicken – You can use whatever chicken you have here — shredded rotisserie chicken, leftover Mexican chicken, poached and cubed breast are great options.
Or you can quickly and easily poach your own, by covering the chicken in 1″ of water, then bringing the water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and allow the chicken to cook like this for 15 minutes — you’ll know it’s done once the internal temp reaches 165 F.
Everything else – I went with a Mexican chicken salad flair here, as it’s our favorite combo of flavors. If you want a more traditional chicken salad, see the notes under recipe variations.
This recipe is PERFECT to have stashed in the fridge for low carb lunch ideas.
That said, avocado recipes have a tendency to turn brown when exposed to any sort of oxygen. So here are a few tips to keep your avocado chicken salad green, fresh, and beautiful:
- Squirt extra lime juice on top of the salad
- Cover it with saran wrap before closing the container
- Then, store in an airtight container in the fridge
There are so many tasty and beautiful ways to serve this avocado chicken salad, you really can’t go wrong.
- Make a chicken salad sandwich with your favorite bread (we always use this low carb sandwich bread!)
- Wrap it in sliced cheese for an easy low carb wraps option.
- Fill boiled egg whites (think deviled eggs with chicken salad)
- Top a salad or make low carb lettuce wraps
- Serve it on low carb crackers or sliced tomatoes
There are so many scrumptious ways to tweak this recipe its kind of unbelievable. Get creative! Here are some ideas for you…
- Make it spicy. Add some hot sauce (like this buffalo chicken salad), cayenne pepper, or whatever you love to the mix.
- Want to make this creamy avocado salad even creamier?? Try adding a little greek yogurt. Greek yogurt chicken salad is still a mayonnaise free alternative that we love just as much! Bonus points: using low carb greek yogurt adds even more protein.
- Vegetarian? Or not feeling chicken? You can swap it with your protein or veggie of choice. For different protein sources, try making an avocado egg salad or avocado tuna salad. For vegan options, opt for an avocado tomato salad or chickpea salad.
- Add whatever low carb vegetables you love. Chicken salad is an awesome way to sneak them in… I like using subtle tasting veggies — think baby kale salad or spinach salad. Both of those leafy greens can be chopped up and added to the mix without hardly any change in flavor.
- Looking for a more traditional chicken salad? No problem! Skip the lime and cilantro and you’re almost there. Turn it into a cranberry chicken salad, or chicken salad with grapes for the most popular options.
There are so many full-flavored chicken salad recipes to try! BONUS POINTS: Each of these healthy chicken recipes is pretty straightforward and they come together quickly!
Avocado Chicken SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Cup Chicken Breast cooked + cubed
- 1 Small (about 2/3 Cup) Avocado cubed
- 1/4 Cup Red Onions minced
- 1/2 Cup Celery diced
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Add all ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix together with a fork. While mixing, mash the avocado to your liking.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Avocados. Go for haas! They’re higher in fat, creamier and WAY more delicious than regular (sorry Florida ?).
- Serving sizes will vary, the most accurate way to calculate is to divide this recipe into 6 servings. 1 serving is equal to about 1/2 cup: