Believe it or not, avocados make the perfect mayonnaise substitute, and this avocado chicken salad is here to prove it! We love this healthier take on classic chicken salad for sandwiches, lettuce wraps, or as a dip with chips. It’s perfect for meal prep and easy workweek lunches!
There are a dozen reasons why you’ll love this avocado chicken salad, to name a few:
- Nutritious – avocados are loaded with heart-healthy fats and fiber, especially when compared to mayonnaise. It’s also low carb, paleo, and keto.
- Easy! Just mash and mix.
- Flavor-packed and a great way to add excitement to your weekday lunches.
Avocado chicken salad comes together with a handful of veggies and chicken. Here are some notes to keep in mind as you get everything together:
- Avocados – Be sure to grab hass avocados, as they’re creamier, higher in fat, and way more flavor packed.
- Chicken – Use whatever chicken you have, such as leftovers, poached, or shredded rotisserie chicken (if making rotisserie chicken salad add 1/2 teaspoon less salt).
- Everything else – This salad is full of Mexican chicken salad classics: lime, red onions, and cilantro.
As with all chicken salad recipes, this chicken and avocado salad is easy to adjust to your personal taste and preferences. Here’s how:
- Make the classic version. substitute cilantro for parsley, and lime for lemon juice.
- Make it spicy. Add minced jalapenos. You can also add hot sauce like I do in my buffalo chicken salad recipe.
- Vegetarian? Or not craving chicken? This recipe works as an avocado egg salad or avocado tuna salad as well! For a vegan option, sub in chickpeas.
- Want to make this creamy avocado salad even creamier?? Add a little Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt chicken salad is still a mayonnaise-free alternative that we love just as much.
Storing Chicken Salad with Avocados
This recipe is perfect to have stashed in the fridge for lunch. That said, avocado has a tendency to turn brown when exposed to air. Here are a few tips to keep your chicken and avocado salad green, fresh, and beautiful:
- Squirt extra lime juice on top of the salad.
- Cover your salad with saran wrap before placing a lid on the container.
- Then, store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
What do You Serve with Chicken Salad
Here are a few of the delicious ways to enjoy this avocado chicken salad:
- Make a chicken salad sandwich with your favorite bread, or low carb bread alternative.
- Wrap it in a slice of cheese or tortilla.
- Scoop into hard-boiled egg whites (think deviled eggs with chicken salad).
- Top a salad or make lettuce wraps.
- Serve it as a dip with crackers, or these keto crackers.
- Pesto Chicken Salad
- Thai Chicken Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Caprese Chicken Salad
- Greek Chicken Salad
Avocado Chicken SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Cup Chicken Breast cooked + cubed
- 1 Small (about 2/3 Cup) Avocado cubed
- 1/4 Cup Red Onions minced
- 1/2 Cup Celery diced
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Add all ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix together with a fork. While mixing, mash the avocado to your liking.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Avocados. Go for hass! They’re higher in fat, creamier and WAY more delicious than regular (sorry Florida ?).
- Serving sizes will vary, the most accurate way to calculate is to divide this recipe into 6 servings. 1 serving is equal to about 1/2 cup: