If you don’t know, we love chicken wings at our house. So it was only a matter of time before the tangy blue cheese buffalo flavor got combined with classic keto chicken salad. If you are looking for keto salads, but like me, want a little protein to keep you going, give this recipe a try! Or, check out my pesto chicken salad or my favorite curry chicken salad.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
Buffalo Chicken Salad Video Tutorial
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
Let’s Be Frank.
I definitely came late to the buffalo chicken craze, but I’m here now. In full force.
This recipe is everyone’s favorite party food (buffalo chicken dip) meets chicken salad. And it’s got So. Much. Flavor. Because the thought of another leftover chicken lunch is… less than inspiring. Boring at its best, dry at its worst. But this buffalo sauce is here to change EVERYTHING. A lunch you will actually crave. Seriously!
I always make this buffalo chicken salad with Frank’s red hot sauce. In fact, I’ve gotten to the point where I must have Frank’s in my pantry at all times. It’s perfect for this recipe because it’s milder in heat but loaded with vinegar flavor. If you don’t have Frank’s—those are the qualities of a hot sauce you’re looking for.
I love this served in lettuce wraps–the cool, crisp contrast is amazing. It’s also great with a toasty piece of bread. Or, eat it right off the fork. Because it’s THAT kind of good.
There are a few important ingredients to mention here…
- The hot sauce: Frank’s red hot is highly recommended here!
- The chicken: Any cooked chicken will do, although keep in mind, I prefer this recipe as a shredded buffalo chicken salad (rather than using cubed chicken). I usually poach chicken while chopping the other ingredients, but well-drained canned chicken works well here (see my canned chicken salad recipe for tips).
- The creamy base: I prefer cream cheese in this buffalo chicken salad recipe for an even creamier compliment to the hot sauce.
- Add ons: celery adds a bit of crunch, and blue cheese a bit of tang. Don’t skip!
How to Eat This Hot Chicken Salad
What goes with buffalo chicken?! Everything. Some of my favorite ways to eat this chicken salad include:
- Lettuce wraps. Romaine, leafy green, or butter lettuce work best for wraps.
- On a toasted baguette. Not sliced bread, friends. A hot, fresh, and crusty baguette.
- With crackers and enjoyed as a dip. Check out my keto crackers, or use sliced cucumbers for a keto alternative.
🤔 Why does my chicken salad get watery?
Chicken salad most often gets watery when the vegetables added release their liquids. If this happens, simply give your buffalo chicken salad a solid stir before serving, the flavor won’t change a bit!
- Switch up the protein. Use this recipe as a base to make keto egg salad or keto tuna salad.
- Turn up or down the heat, by using a different version of Frank’s Red Hot. Or, add some spices, like I do in this Mexican chicken salad.
- Swap cream cheese for Greek yogurt. If you’re looking for a more traditional chicken salad, sub in mayonnaise or Greek yogurt–but keep in mind, if you’re looking for a keto buffalo chicken salad, greek yogurt chicken salad will have lower fat and a few extra carbs.
More Chicken Salad Recipes
- Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- Avocado Chicken Salad
- Thai Chicken Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Greek Chicken Salad
Buffalo Chicken SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 Cup Hot Sauce I use Frank's (note 1)
- 2 Scallions thinly sliced, white and green parts
- 4 Cups Chicken cooked + shredded (note 2*)
- 1 Cup Celery chopped
- 1/4 Cup Blue Cheese
- Lettuce We love Romaine, butter lettuce works as well
- Combine. In a large bowl, combine the hot sauce (1 cup) and softened cream cheese (8 ounces) using an electric mixer until well combined. Add the cheddar (2 cups), scallions (2 thinly sliced), celery (1 cup), and chicken (4 cups). Fold until everything is well incorporated.
- Serve. Scoop chicken onto lettuce leaves. Top with blue cheese (1/4 cup) and additional hot sauce. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Hot sauce. Frank's is most traditional for all Buffalo chicken recipes. If using a different type of hot sauce, keep in mind Frank's has a very mild, vinegary flavor.
- To poach chicken: Place chicken and a generous amount of salt and pepper in a large pot and cover with 1" of water. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and let the chicken simmer until the center of the breast reaches an internal temp of 165 F, about 15 minutes. Allow the chicken to rest 10 minutes before shredding.
- Shredded chicken vs. diced. We much prefer shredded chicken here, but you can also use diced chiclken.