Greek chicken salad is one of those (believe it or not) low carb salads that’s so full of flavor, you forget its actually good for you!
Juicy marinated chicken with a homemade vinegar and oil dressing — similar to Horiatiki. It’s one of the best chicken salads for entertaining or polishing up dinner when you’re ready for something to really wake up your taste buds!
I can’t wait for you to try this wholesome deliciousness… let’s get started!
Here’s what makes this Greek chicken salad irresistible:
- Very low carb. Sure you can serve it with pita (if you like), but on its own, this salad is a low carb champion!
- It’s a nutritious powerhouse! It’s protein-packed, rich in healthy fats and it’s not cream-based.
- Totally addicting. Literally, it’s a virtual explosion of flavor in your mouth!
This is a made from scratch, chicken salad recipe that’ll make your taste buds stand up and pay attention!
The Dressing + Marinade – I prefer to use extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for this Mediterranean chicken marinade and dressing, but it isn’t necessary. EVOO is made from cold-pressed olives using minimal amounts of heat and no chemicals so it retains more of its nutrients. It also has a light and lively flavor compared to other oils.
The Chicken – We’ll be marinated and baking our own chicken for this salad. If you’d like to save some time, you can always use pre-cooked or leftover chicken.
I love turning this one into a rotisserie chicken salad when we have a rotisserie hanging around. You can also make a canned chicken salad, although (texturally) I prefer to reserve canned chicken for cream-based salads.
The Veggies – We’ll be tossing in all the classic Greek low carb vegetables: tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and olives. If you prefer other veggies feel free to add them into the mix.
Tools to Make
Making Greek chicken salad doesn’t require you to make a huge mess in the kitchen (thank goodness), so you only need a few things. For the sake of simplicity, here they are:
- Large Ziploc baggie for marinating the chicken
- Prepared sheet pan for baking the chicken
- Bowl to assemble the salad
- Salad shaker for making dressing but a bowl & whisk will work, too
This Greek salad is amazing on it also own, but it also goes great with:
- Greek sides like Orzo, Tzaziki, dolmas, or tabouleh.
- Serve it inside a pita or a large leaf of lettuce (ala lettuce wraps).
Tweaking this recipe successfully means keeping it really simple, as going to wild will completely change the flavor of this dish. Here are a few ideas:
- Use or add a different protein. I wouldn’t go full-blown egg salad or tuna salad here, but you can swap the chicken with a grilled piece of fish, steak, or shrimp.
- Use a different dressing. Although this one is classically Greek, you can use whatever you fancy here — from homemade ranch dressing to something light and simple.
It’s easy to fall into a rut where you rely on the same few chicken dishes, but that gets boring FAST! Try some new and delicious chicken recipes to liven up your meal plan:
- Thai Chicken Salad
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Pesto Chicken Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
Greek Chicken SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
Chicken + Marinade
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Rosemary chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 Lb Chicken Breast
- 1/2 Red Onion chopped
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 Cucumber chopped
- 8 Oz Feta chopped
- 1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic minced
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a large resealable bag.
- Add chicken breast (1 Lb), seal the bag, and toss the chicken to evenly coat.
- Place in the fridge for 30 min - overnight (I always do this the night before!)
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Place marinated chicken on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 22-26 minutes. You'll know the chicken is done once the internal temp reaches 165 F.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or salad shaker, except the olive oil.
- While whisking, slowly add the olive oil into the dressing ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients together.
- Place sliced chicken over salad ingredients.
- Cover with salad dressing, and toss everything together.
- Serve with pita, tzatziki, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Nutritional information is based on 1 serving, if you divide this recipe into 6 servings (this is about 2.5 Tablespoons of dressing):