Greek chicken salad is one of those (believe it or not) low carb salads that’s so full of flavor, you forget its actually good for you!
Juicy marinated chicken with a homemade vinegar and oil dressing — similar to Horiatiki. It’s one of the best chicken salads for entertaining or polishing up dinner when you’re ready for something to really wake up your taste buds!
I can’t wait for you to try this wholesome deliciousness… let’s get started!
Here’s what makes this Greek chicken salad irresistible:
- Very low carb. Sure you can serve it with pita (if you like), but on its own, this salad is a low carb champion!
- It’s a nutritious powerhouse! It’s protein-packed, rich in healthy fats and it’s not cream-based.
- Totally addicting. Literally, it’s a virtual explosion of flavor in your mouth!
This is a made from scratch, chicken salad recipe that’ll make your taste buds stand up and pay attention!
The Dressing + Marinade – I prefer to use extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for this Mediterranean chicken marinade and dressing, but it isn’t necessary. EVOO is made from cold-pressed olives using minimal amounts of heat and no chemicals so it retains more of its nutrients. It also has a light and lively flavor compared to other oils.
The Chicken – We’ll be marinated and baking our own chicken for this salad. If you’d like to save some time, you can always use pre-cooked or leftover chicken.
I love turning this one into a rotisserie chicken salad when we have a rotisserie hanging around. You can also make a canned chicken salad, although (texturally) I prefer to reserve canned chicken for cream-based salads.
The Veggies – We’ll be tossing in all the classic Greek low carb vegetables: tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and olives. If you prefer other veggies feel free to add them into the mix.
Tools to Make
Making Greek chicken salad doesn’t require you to make a huge mess in the kitchen (thank goodness), so you only need a few things. For the sake of simplicity, here they are:
- Large Ziploc baggie for marinating the chicken
- Prepared sheet pan for baking the chicken
- Bowl to assemble the salad
- Salad shaker for making dressing but a bowl & whisk will work, too
This Greek salad is amazing on it also own, but it also goes great with:
- Greek sides like Orzo, Tzaziki, dolmas, or tabouleh.
- Serve it inside a pita or a large leaf of lettuce (ala lettuce wraps).
Tweaking this recipe successfully means keeping it really simple, as going to wild will completely change the flavor of this dish. Here are a few ideas:
- Use or add a different protein. I wouldn’t go full-blown egg salad or tuna salad here, but you can swap the chicken with a grilled piece of fish, steak, or shrimp.
- Use a different dressing. Although this one is classically Greek, you can use whatever you fancy here — from homemade ranch dressing to something light and simple.
Greek Chicken SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
Chicken + Marinade
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Rosemary chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 Lb Chicken Breast
- 1/2 Red Onion chopped
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 Cucumber chopped
- 8 Oz Feta chopped
- 1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic minced
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a large resealable bag.
- Add chicken, seal the bag, and toss the chicken to evenly coat.
- Place in the fridge for 30 min - overnight (I always do this the night before!)
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Place marinated chicken on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 22-26 minutes. You'll know the chicken is done once the internal temp reaches 165 F.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or salad shaker, except the olive oil.
- While whisking, slowly add the olive oil into the dressing ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients together.
- Place sliced chicken over salad ingredients.
- Cover with salad dressing, and toss everything together.
- Serve with pita, tzatziki, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
It’s easy to fall into a rut where you rely on the same few chicken dishes, but that gets boring FAST! Try some new and delicious chicken recipes to liven up your meal plan:
- Thai Chicken Salad. Psst — the peanut sauce is everything.
- Mexican Chicken Salad. Avocado boats stuffed with zesty chicken salad.
- Buffalo Chicken Salad. All the flavors we love in buffalo chicken, chopped up and tossed in a salad.
- Pesto Chicken Salad. What doesn’t pesto make more delicious?
- Chinese Chicken Salad. Crunchy, sweet, and full of veggies.
Whether you love Greek food, or you’re just ready to add some variety to your menu, this Greek chicken salad is sure to satisfy. I hope you enjoy this chicken salad! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!