There’s a reason that sheet pan dinners have become so popular. If you’re still wondering why—this Mediterranean chicken recipe is for you. Simple, delicious, reliable. Easy to clean up. Basically, everything you want from a weeknight dinner. Or any dinner for that matter.
It all starts with this Mediterranean chicken marinade, but if you’re craving more, be sure to check out my Mediterranean meatballs, and tabouleh,
Sheet Pan Success
This is a lazy favorite—and lazy is important here—it’s supposed to be easy.
Read that again. That’s right. Easy.
Chicken, veggies, a little oil, and a handful of seasonings get tossed together and spread out on one sheet pan. Then a little whipped feta (or a lotta whipped feta) gets spread over the chicken. If you were to stop here, dinner would be just fine.
But we aren’t here for dinner to be “fine.”
That’s why we finish everything with olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and toasted pine nuts for a crispy-skinned chicken dinner that is vibrant and full of texture. So much better than fine. With the exception of feta, these are all ingredients that I usually have on hand.
Say it with me. Easy, easy, sheet pan dinner. And enjoy! – Linds x
Ingredients + Variations
We tested this Mediterranean chicken recipe so, so many times to get it just right. Yes, you can leave some things out, and make some swaps (which I’ll share below), but to us, it’s perfect as is!
- Marinade: olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, kosher salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Increase/decrease the amount of red pepper flakes to adjust the spice level.
- Chicken thighs: preferably bone-in and skin-on. This is the juiciest and most flavorful part of the chicken. The skin is important, as it’ll crisp up when we broil it. You can substitute for chicken breast or boneless/skinless, although I don’t recommend it. Keep in mind, that using a different cut will affect the bake time – using a meat thermometer is the best way to not overcook the chicken. Internal temperature of cooked chicken is 165 F.
- Veggies: bell peppers and onions.
- Whipped feta: a water-packed block of feta, heavy cream, and a bit of lemon juice. Usually, I add more to my whipped feta, but there’s so much flavor in this dish you won’t need it! If you want, feel free to add in some garlic, or herbs like dill, fresh parsley, or fresh basil.
- Topping: sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed has way more flavor than dried), pitted kalamata olives, and toasted pine nuts. You can toast your own — over the stove, they’ll be ready in 3 minutes. Feel free to add more Mediterranean flavors here, like artichoke hearts or baby spinach.
Want to grill the chicken instead?
Chicken thighs are great on the grill! Feel free to turn the veggies into kabobs and grill the veggies and thighs separately.
How to Make Mediterranean Chicken
- Whisk marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Toss chicken in the marinade.
- Toss veggies in oil.
- Spread chicken and veggie mixture on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until the internal temp of your chicken reaches 165 degrees f.
- Combine whipped feta sauce ingredients together in a food processor.
- Combine topping ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Plate the chicken and veggies with olives, tomatoes, and pine nuts on top and a side of sauce. Enjoy!
As is, this chicken is low in carbohydrates and is one of my favorite keto chicken recipes. If that isn’t what you’re looking for, serve it with a side of crusty bread, or your favorite Mediterranean grain — I suggest orzo, but rice would be delicious as well.
More Mediterranean Chicken Recipes
Mediterranean ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon zested + juiced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Chicken + Veggies
- 6 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 2 red bell peppers sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes oil packed
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
Whipped Feta Sauce
- 8 ounces block of feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Measure and set aside 1 teaspoon of lemon juice - we'll add this to our whipped feta.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients. Add chicken (6) and toss to coat. Place in the fridge and allow chicken to marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F and prep a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place chicken on the rimmed baking sheet. Add 2 remaining tablespoons of olive oil to the marinade bowl, and toss the bell peppers (2) and onions (1) in it. Nestle veggies around the chicken and pour additional marinade over the top of the chicken and veggies. Bake in preheat oven for 30-35 minutes, until chicken has reached an internal temp of 165F. Crank oven to broil, and broil until skin gets crispy.
- Meanwhile make the sauce by crumbling the feta into 1" pieces and placing in a food processor, along with heavy cream (2 tablespoons), 1 teaspoon of reserved lemon juice, and dill. Process until completely smooth.
- Combine sun dried tomatoes (1/2 cup), olives (1/2 cup) and pine nuts (3 tablespoons) together in a bowl, and spoon over the chicken and veggies before serving. Drizzle sauce on top or serve as a side, and enjoy!
This recipe is fantastic! It’s healthy, it’s easy, and it’s tasty. I mean, what’s not to love?
Right, Beth?! SO glad you loved it!
Always happy to find a good sheet pan meal. This did not disappoint!
Yay! SO glad to hear that, Erik!
Erin | Dinners, Dishes and Dessert
Looks so delish! Adding on our weeknight rotation!
Yay! SO glad to hear that, Erin.
I love chicken so much. I would like to make it in this delicious Mediterranean way!
Yay! Can’t wait to hear what you think!
Looks oozing with a lot of flavors! Can’t wait to try this tonight!
Right, Shiela?! Can’t wait to hear what you think!
I have been visiting your blog recently and all of your recipes are really good! My husband wants me to try more from your recipes.
Yay! SO glad you both love them, Amanda! Hope you enjoy trying more of the recipes!
Heaven sent! Such a delicious chicken recipe. My mom loved it too!
SO glad you both loved this, Kaescia!