Low carb recipes don’t have to be dry/bland/chewy chicken, and this Mediterranean chicken marinade is the proof!
This is one of the most flavorful low carb chicken recipes I’ve got, it’s a total game changer!
It’s one of those chicken marinades that utilizes plenty of sensual spices to coax out Mediterranean flavors and balsamic vinegar to tenderize the chicken to succulent juiciness.
Once you try this marinade, you’ll understand why it’s one of my favorite low carb dinners.
Hungry yet? Let’s get started…
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
I love that this Mediterranean chicken marinade has such a bold flavorful quality and it makes the chicken so tender and juicy! Nothing is more off-putting than dry chewy chicken – eeuwww!
I know that I never have to worry about that with this recipe and it sets my mind at ease but there are other reasons to love this recipe too.
- Recipe defines simplicity
- No dishes needed
- Tenderizes chicken to succulent juiciness
- Bold Mediterranean flavor
You’re going to love serving this almost as much as you love eating it.
Mediterranean chicken marinade calls for balsamic vinegar along with some citrus, olive oil and spices…
Balsamic vinegar’s sweet undertones make it ideal for marinades and dressings while the characteristics of vinegar do a fantastic job of tenderizing meat to a melt in your mouth consistency.
Plus, balsamic vinegar is low carb. Yay!
Lemon juice is also important in this recipe. Not only does it help to tenderize the meat but the natural sugar content in the lemon juice actually caramelizes when the lemon chicken marinade is exposed to heat.
This helps to thicken the marinade and makes it stick to the chicken as it’s cooked.
The herbs in this Greek chicken marinade are what makes it so, well, Mediterranean! Oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic.
Tools To Make
Here is the beauty of this recipe!! All you need is a large Ziploc bag (or two) and maybe some tongs or whatever you’ll use to grill your chicken! The simplest of low carb dinners!
Can You Freeze This?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze this Mediterranean chicken marinade. I like to make the marinade in bulk and freeze the chicken in the marinade — that way it marinates as it defrosts.
Adapting this Mediterranean chicken marinade to your specific taste is super simple. Here are a few simple swaps you may want to try:
- Make it a spicy chicken marinade by adding in some hot sauce, jalapenos, or even chipotle chicken marinade seasoning.
- Swap the citrus and turn this into a lime chicken marinade.
- Add different herbs and spices. I wouldn’t go full jerk chicken here, but you can mix around the spices based on your tastebuds!
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Ground Chicken Casserole
Mediterranean Chicken MarinadePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano dried
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Pounds Chicken Breast boneless + skinless
- Add all ingredients to a large resealable bag, seal, and toss to combine.
- Place bag in the fridge for 3 hrs - overnight.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Clean and grease grates.
- Add chicken and cook on each side for 5-7 minutes, or until it flips easily without sticking to the grates -- you'll know the chicken is done once the internal temp has reached 165 F.
- Place cooked chicken on a plate and loosely tent for 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Marinade length. The longer this marinates, the more flavorful your chicken will be!
- Cooking Method. Cook this chicken in the oven or on the stove instead of grilling. Follow the marinade instructions above, and cook accordingly.
- Resting Chicken: Don't skip this step! Cutting into your chicken right after pulling it off the grill will release the juices and make it dry.
- Nutritional information is based on 1/2 lb of marinated chicken: