There’s nothing creamier, nothing cheesier, nothing more dip-able than this keto queso —it just may be the ultimate snack. It also has the power to take any of your Mexican food favorites to the NEXT LEVEL.
Que-so, I Never Really Liked Nacho Cheese…
It turns out I just wasn’t into the OVER processed versions of “cheese” that can be found on soggy nachos or in sad bowls of queso.
And queso should never be sad.
My version uses real cheese for real flavor. It’s creamy, crave-able, and packed with flavor. Again, from real ingredients. No sad bowls here! Make this once and you’ll be hooked on homemade.
The best part? This low carb queso recipe is perfect as is. Also perfect on nearly anything. (Truly, it’s even great on eggs). It’s also a great recipe to customize for your own ultimate queso experience.
So, what’s your favorite way to low carb queso? Enjoy! 😋🧀 – Linds x
A few simple ingredients bring this magical low carb queso to life!
- Diced green chiles add a flavor punch but aren’t too hot. If you love spice, consider a spicier pepper (think jalapeno or serrano chile).
- Almond milk – unflavored is key.
- Sharp cheddar cheese – feel free to swap with your favorite keto cheese (think white cheddar cheese, Monterey jack, or pepper jack cheese). I prefer a block of cheese to shredded for less processed flavor.
- Xanthan gum – used to thicken this easy keto queso.
- Spices – We’ll use a combo of traditional Mexican spices, feel free to customize it how you want.
How to Make Keto Queso
- Saute onions in melted butter until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add spices and toast until fragrant.
- Add green chilis, heavy cream, almond milk, and xanthan gum. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Remove from heat, and stir in shredded cheese until completely dissolved.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Enjoy!
How to Eat Keto Cheese Sauce?
This cheese sauce is an easy way to upgrade your favorite keto recipes. Enjoy it as a keto queso dip for appetizers, or as a sauce/spread…
- Dip: for keto pretzels, sliced veggies (think bell peppers or celery), low carb tortilla chips, grilled meat (we love chicken), or even keto meatballs.
- Sauce: for nachos (with chips or veggies like these zucchini nachos), tacos, keto burritos, burrito bowls, salads, cauliflower rice, or even over roasted veggies (think cauliflower or broccoli).
Make this keto cheese sauce…
- Less spicy? Sub cayenne pepper for chili powder.
- Spicier? More cayenne, or spicier peppers.
- Keto queso with meat? Add shredded chicken or cooked and crumbled chorizo.
Is store-bought queso keto-friendly?
Storebought queso is higher in net carbs (than this keto cheese dip) due to additives and the use of traditional cow’s milk. Each product will vary, so check the nutrition information on the back to see if it’s a low carb queso that works with your eating goals.
More Keto Dips + Sauces
Keto Queso (Nacho Cheese!)Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Onion finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 - 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (note 1)
- 4 Ounces Diced Green Chilis (note 2)
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk unflavored
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum (note 3)
- 2 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Saute. Melt unsalted butter (1 tablespoon) over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add finely chopped onions (1/4 cup), and cook until transulcent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic (2 cloves) and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Toast. Add salt (1/2 teaspoon), ground cumin (1 teaspoon) and cayenne pepper (1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon) and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Simmer. Stir in diced green chilis (4 Ounces), heavy cream (1/2 cup), almond milk (1/2 cup), and xanthan gum (1/2 teaspoon). Stir until xanthan gum dissolve. Bring combo to a simmer.
- Final touches. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese (2 cups) until completely dissolved. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Cayenne pepper is where most of the spice comes from. Consider adding more/less to suit your taste.
- Diced green chiles are actually not very spicy. If you want more spice, consider swapping with diced jalapeno or even a serrano chile.
- Xanthan Gum is used to thicken our cheese sauce, don't skip!
- Nutritional information - 1 serving of this recipe is equal to about 1/4 cup: