Is there anything better than noshing on some low carb queso and low carb tortilla chips?!
Answer: NO. It’s not possible. BEST. SNACK. EVER.
This is one of my favorite low carb sauces ‘cause it’s good with almost everything — pour this low carb cheese sauce on pretzels, nachos, eggs, really ANY of your fave low carb recipes. Pair it with low carb tortillas for to-die-for tacos, burritos, or enchiladas.
You can even use it as a dip for veggies! Or, you know, just eat it with a spoon! I’m not judging 😉
Are you hungry yet?? Great, let’s go!
Queso is a California girl staple, but really, everyone needs it in their life.
- It’s incredibly cheesy, zesty, and is an easy upgrade for every meal.
- Ready in 15 minutes!
- Basic ingredients, and just 1 pot!
- Perfect as a dip or as a sauce in so many recipes!
I could make cheesy jokes, or we could just get cooking! I know what you’d prefer!
A few simple ingredients bring this magical sauce to life!
Diced green chiles – if this isn’t an ingredient you normally use, don’t be scared! These roasted, young chiles add a flavor punch to any recipe and really aren’t too hot.
Almond milk – friends, PLEASE make sure you get unflavored almond milk, because vanilla will not serve us well in this recipe. This has a lot fewer carbs than traditional milk, and will help thin our low carb queso out.
Sharp cheddar cheese – this low carb cheese has a nice strong flavor that will give us the best-tasting queso, especially when mixed with our Mexican spices. If you want, you can swap it out for another cheese like Swiss or mozzarella.
Be sure to grab SHARP cheese for ultimate flavor!
Xanthan gum – Traditional queso recipes call for flour to thicken. Instead, we’ll use xanthan gum to thicken and stabilize our queso. It thickens recipes incredibly well, even in small amounts! (Which is why it’s a favorite in low carb cooking.)
Spices – We’ll be using a combo of traditional Mexican spices to flavor the queso, but you can customize it how you want. Keep it pure cheese or amp it all the way up – the choice is yours.
Can You Freeze This?
YES! Make a big batch and divvy each portion into snack-sized baggies. Then stash these in the freezer, because having low carb queso at the ready is a very, VERY good thing.
You can also use this for burritos, or in low carb taco casserole.
But this cheese sauce has even more tricks up its sleeve. It’s perfect for dipping low carb pretzels, or make a spicy mac and cheese!
This sauce can do no wrong…
Feeling creative? Here are some ideas for you…
- Want to make it less spicy? No problem! Your first step is to cut back the cayenne, and if you need even less, remove the diced chiles, (though they are more flavor than heat.)
- Need more spice? Reverse! Extra of all the things!
- Don’t have cheddar on hand? This recipe is pretty forgiving. You can use whatever low carb cheese you have available.
Low Carb Queso (Nacho Cheese!)Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan.
- Add onions, and cook until transparent, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add salt, cumin and cayenne pepper and cook until fragrant, amount 1 minute.
- Stir in diced green chilis, heavy cream, almond milk, and xanthan gum. Stir until xanthan gum dissolve. Bring combo to a simmer.
- Stir in the cheese until completely dissolved.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Enjoy!
Make an array of low carb sauces to stock your fridge for any meal you dream up! Here are some good ones to get you started:
- Low Carb Honey Mustard – perfect for hot dogs or dipping fried chicken.
- Low Carb Alfredo Sauce – One fancy dinner, coming right up!
- Veggie Dip – Get your veggie count in by pairing it with this zesty dip. Even kids love it.
- Avocado Sauce – This keto friendly sauce is great on everything!
- Low Carb Ketchup – your hot dog has never tasted better.
This low carb queso is so good, make enough for several rounds of leftovers!!
Will you use it as a dip or as a sauce? Let me know in the comments what you think! Hope you enjoy!