Nachos are a thing of beauty that NO ONE should have to live without, and these LEGIT low carb nachos are here to show us just that!
This usually carby dish gets a makeover using low carb tortillas, plus a handful of our favorite low carb recipes for toppings… Such as queso, taco seasoning (for suuuper moist meat), and ALL the goodies!
We, love serving nachos for low carb appetizers, but it’s also a favorite for a relaxed movie night at home. Seriously, these low carb chips are perfect for munching all day…
This dish is a major staple, and I can’t wait for you to see why. Let’s get cooking!
Who doesn’t love chips with queso?? Plus:
- Ready in under 30 minutes!
- 1 pan, 1 tray – you’re done!
- All the flavors and crunch we love without the carbs!
I mean, it’s nachos, it’s not hard! Here are a few tips to keep you on track!
The ingredients for these nachos are low carb-afied versions of the traditional ones: chips, cheese, meat. Here are the details:
Taco seasoning – Could you use seasoning from the store? I suppose, but did you know there are hidden sugars and carbs in there? Gross!
Try making this low carb taco seasoning instead. It’s super easy and it keeps for a while, so make a big batch and use it for all your south of the border recipes.
Low carb queso – I recently showed you guys how to make some amazing low carb cheese sauce that is great on basically ALL.the.things.
You can always use shredded cheese (check out these best cheese options for nachos) on these low carb nachos, but I recommend making a big batch of this queso (and using it on a few other recipes while you’re at it).
It’s super fast and worth every second!! PLUS, using queso vs. cheese gives you a creamier and better texture — cheese hardens as it cools and doesn’t work as well (in my opinion!).
Chips – I use my low carb tortilla chips for these low carb nachos, but you can also use sliced veggies like bell peppers! Honestly, you may prefer it that way – it’s really delicious and a great way to get in some extra nutrients!
Tools To Make
As promised, these low carb nachos use 1 pan and 1 tray:
- Skillet – You can use a skillet, large saucepan, dutch oven, whatever you have on hand. You just need something you can brown meat in.
- Baking sheet or oven-safe pan – A pan with rims (such as a jelly roll pan) or an oven-safe pan is easiest to maneuver without spilling. This is just to layer up all the deliciousness. If you’re using shredded cheese (instead of queso) this is how we’ll get that layer good, hot, and melty.
Like all nachos, these low carb nachos are best fresh from the oven. Otherwise, your chips get a little soggy and no one craves flimsy nachos.
The great thing is, most of these ingredients can be prepared ahead of time, even the meat! You can literally pile everything together and have a meal in minutes if the prep is out of the way.
Store any leftover meat in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. No need to reheat, just add it to your nachos and pop in the oven.
I love my low carb nachos with sour cream and jalapenos, but you add what you like!
If you’re going the salad route, I recommend pouring some of my homemade ranch dressing on top along with some Tapatio or other low carb hot sauce.
If you prefer almond flour tortillas, you can use those to make your low carb tortilla chips instead.
- Want to use a non-traditional chip? No problem!! Try veggie chips, cauliflower chips, or zucchini chips for a low carb crunch that’s just as delicious and super flavorful.
- If you would rather just use veggies, I recommend cauliflower florets or bell pepper slices. I love the sweet mini peppers myself, which I halve and place cut side up.
- Try using cheese crackers instead, or making parmesan crisps from low carb cheese. Psst — If using cheese for your chips, I’d skip the queso or cheese topping!
Low Carb NachosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 4 Tablespoons Low Carb Taco Seasoning or 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning (make sure no sugar has been added)
- 1 Cup Low Carb Queso or shredded cheddar
- Low Carb Tortilla Chips Save some time by swapping for sliced low carb veggies, such as cauliflower, or mini bell peppers
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet and add the beef, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks.
- Cook until meat is no longer pink, then push the meat to one side of the pan and drain the access fat
- Stir in taco seasoning and 2/3 cup of water. Cook for 2-4 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Lay chip out on a rimmed baking sheet or oven-safe pan. (If using veggies, you'll want to cook these until they're fork-tender before adding toppings.)
- Sprinkle meat on top, followed by tomatoes, cilantro and last queso or cheese. (If using cheese, you'll want to bake and melt the cheese.) Enjoy!
Have a hankering for more low carb snacks? I have plenty of favorites! Check these out:
- Jicama Fries – warning! These are addictively crunchy.
- Almond Flour Crackers – If you thought you had to say goodbye to crackers, think again!
- Eggplant Chips – A fun, new way to eat eggplant!
- Fathead Crackers – This keto dough is good for just about everything.
- Low Carb Sausage Balls – Perfect for parties or as a satisfying afternoon nosh!
These low carb nachos are the cheesy, crunchy snack you’ve been waiting for!!
Did you switch up the chips? What toppings are your must-haves? Tell me in the comments!