I hope you’re reading this in the morning so that you can immediately make these low carb crispy chicken tacos for lunch…
It’s one of those do not pass go, do not collect $200 low carb lunch ideas… Literally, too good to wait! I mean who doesn’t love chicken tacos??
You’ve seen crunchy cheese shells used in all sorts of low carb recipes, but it’s especially perfect for making all your favorite taco recipes keto friendly.
I make the filling with shredded chicken and zesty sauce, but you can even switch that up if you want! These tacos just want to please!
These make for an amazingly yummy keto taco, plus:
- Inexpensive, versatile ingredients that are easy to find!
- Delicious flavors + extreme crunchiness = surprisingly perfect taco!
- Ready in 20 minutes (faster if you use pre-cooked chicken!!!)
You’re going to be so blown away by the crunchy shell on these low carb crispy chicken tacos!
Fresh, whole ingredients, slightly reimagined for a new take!
Chicken breast – I use chicken breast in these shredded chicken tacos because it’s easy to poach and shred, but you can use other meat if you like. OR! Buy pre-cooked chicken to save time.
PRO TIP: Use a hand mixer to shred your chicken breast after poaching it to have it done in seconds!
Low carb taco seasoning – I prefer to make my own taco mix with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and keep out extra starches and sugars, but you can also use pre-mixed taco seasonings.
Cheddar – We’ll use protein-rich shredded cheddar in this recipe to make ingenious cheese taco shells! These keto taco shells are such a gift for low carb eating – all the crunch and flavor we crave, with very few carbs!
Tools To Make
Luckily, these low carb crispy chicken tacos are easy to whip up with super basic kitchen tools:
- Heavy bottom pot – to poach the chicken. You can swap this out for an Instapot if you’d rather cook your chicken that way.
- Skillet – for cooking our yummy sauce, and tossing our chicken in it. This adds loads of flavor!
- Baking pan – Try and use a non-rimmed sheet pan if possible so you can use every inch to make your cheese taco shells. But if it’s all you have, just work in batches.
You’re going to want to eat these low carb crispy chicken tacos immediately. As in, dive in, right in!
The cheese shell is amazing and delicious, but they can’t be reheated or the cheese will just melt everywhere. If you do happen to have leftovers (not very likely…) just enjoy them cold. They’re surprisingly tasty that way!
These low carb crispy chicken tacos are mouth-watering straight off the pan! But, like most Mexican food, they’re even more delicious with avocado salsa or a side of low carb tortilla chips and guacamole!
Low carb margarita, optional, (but, highly recommended).
Want to add your own spin to these low carb crispy chicken tacos?? Here are some ideas for you:
- Want to try a different shell? You can use large leaves of romaine as low carb lettuce wraps, or try whipping up some almond flour tortillas while your chicken cooks!
- Switch up the meat. There’s no reason this recipe can’t make ground beef tacos! In fact, this sauce is delicious for turkey tacos, pork tacos, or even a vegetarian version with diced zucchini and mushrooms.
- Don’t want shredded chicken? Go fajita style and make some grilled chicken tacos instead, or use a ground chicken for ground chicken tacos.
- Skip the shell and make a taco. This marinated chicken makes a great addition to low carb taco salad. You can even crunch up the cheese shells to add some great flavor and texture!
Low Carb Crispy Chicken TacosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Low Carb Taco Seasoning or 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 4 Cups Cheddar shredded
- Lettuce shredded
- 1 Tomato diced + deseeded
- Place chicken in a pot covered with 1" of water. Sprinkle water generously with salt and pepper.
- Bring water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook the chicken like this for 15 minutes. Check to make sure the internal temp of the chicken has reached 165 F, then remove from the pot and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, shred the chicken using 2 forks.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet and saute the onion until translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add the seasoning and toast until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and water, and stir until the seasoning dissolves.
- Add the shredded chicken and toss to coat in the sauce. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Create flat circles of cheese on the baking sheet, using 1/4 cup of cheese for each circle.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. You'll know the cheese is done once it starts to lightly brown along the edges.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven, and place chicken, lettuce, and tomatoes on one half of the cheese.
- Once the cheese is cool enough to handle (but don't wait until the cheese has hardened, about 5 minutes, grab the corner and fold it over the toppings. The cheese will crisp as it cools.
- Serve with salsa and enjoy!
Planning to fill your menu with taco recipes? Here is a handful of options:
- Low Carb Walking Tacos – All the taco taste packed in a portable container.
- Low Carb Taco Soup – Taco flavors all boiled up in a warming and hearty soup.
- Carne Asada Tacos – One of my all-time fave ways to eat tacos!
- Low Carb Taco Pie – Low carb take on an easy weeknight dinner!
- Low Carb Taco Casserole – I love how this combines all the flavors and crunch together in one easy bite!
Are you obsessed with the crunchy shell on these low carb crispy chicken tacos, or is it just me? Let me know in the comments what you thought! And enjoy!