This chicken enchilada soup is my personal go-to because it’s comforting, warming, and it has the extra BANG that classic chicken soup lacks!
This recipe is QUICK + EASY! Full of flavor, and the perfect way to warm yourself from the inside out.
Below I’ll show you how to make this the non-carb-conscious way (with corn and loads of onions), and how to easily turn this into a low carb soup — both are so full of zesty flavor and juicy chicken, I think even you carb eaters will love the low carb chicken soup take!
So grab a pot and let’s get simmering!
Here’s everything I love about this fun chicken enchilada soup recipe:
- It’s the perfect speedy dinner!!!
- It’s everything you love about a classic enchiladas recipe but in a healthier soup version!
- It’s a one-pot meal, which means throw it all in the pot and then serve it up!
- Easy to switch around to accommodate your taste. Amp up the heat with spices, make it creamy, or go crazy with the toppings!
This chicken enchilada soup is full of all the authentic flavors of enchiladas, but it’s WAY easier to make! Here’s all you need to know:
The veggies – Bell peppers and onions are the low carb vegetables we’ll be adding here! If you’re watching your carbs, feel free to add fewer onions.
I also toss a can of well-drained corn in. Again, if you’re eating low carb feel free to skip this ingredient and your soup will contain 7g fewer carbs than the nutritional information below!
The spices — Enchilada sauce is FULL of the classic Mexican spice mix. Make your own or buy it canned, and taste test before adding to make sure you like its spiciness!
My favorite enchilada sauce is Trader Joe’s brand — it has no added sugar (many brands do!), and contains a decent amount of heat! If you’re eating low carb, this is one of the best options I’ve found.
The chicken — If you don’t have fresh chicken handy to make this chicken enchilada soup, or if you just want to make things easier on yourself, buy a rotisserie chicken for delicious rotisserie chicken soup.
Tools To Make
Here’s everything you need to make this delish soup:
- Large heavy bottom pot: to saute and heat all ingredients together
- Tongs: to remove chicken from the soup. You can also use a fork if that’s all you have!
- Plate: for the chicken to rest and cool on
To keep this chicken enchilada soup recipe as fresh as possible, store it in the fridge in an airtight container or Ziplock bag.
You can also freeze this soup!
We like to go WILD with the toppings: sour cream, low carb cheese such as cheddar or a Mexican cheese blend, green onions, cilantro, and jalapenos.
Here’s how to shake things up a bit in this chicken enchilada soup recipe:
- You can make this soup spicier by adding a hotter salsa (like in my low carb taco soup!), chopping up some fresh jalapeno, or adding a variety of spices you love that brings the heat, like taco seasoning or low carb taco seasoning! Keep the spices authentic to this dish and save spices like curry for your chicken curry soup.
- Turn this into a creamy chicken enchilada soup! Cook this soup per the recipe and add cream cheese or heavy cream towards the end. Another awesome creamy option? Keep it dairy-free with full-fat coconut milk, as I use in my Thai chicken soup and butternut squash soup.
- Add rice or low carb rice.
- Skip the chicken and turn this into a low carb vegetable soup for a vegetarian version.
Looking for more soup recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Pumpkin Soup
- Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Low Carb Beef Stew
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Low Carb White Chicken Chili
Low Carb Keto Chicken Enchilada SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado or vegetable oil divided
- 2 Cups Red Onion chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper seeded + chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 12 Ounces Enchilada Sauce
- 8 Ounce Salsa
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast boneless + skinless
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Saute. Heat vegetable oil (2 tablespoons) in a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Stir in chopped onion (2 cups) and bell pepper (1) and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin (2 teaspoons), chili powder (1 teaspoon), and salt (1 teaspoon). Stir to coat the veggies in seasoning, and cook until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Simmer. Add the enchilada sauce (12 Ounces), chicken broth (2 cups), salsa (8 ounces), and chicken breast (1 pound). Stir to incorporate. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes -- your soup is done once the internal temp of your chicken reaches 165 F (this will vary depending on how thick your chicken is).
- Chicken. Use tongs to remove cooked chicken onto a cutting board. Once cool enough to handle, shred or chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Finishing touches. Add the sour cream (1 cup) and shredded cheddar (1 cup), and stir until these ingredients dissolve. Add the chicken, cilantro (1/4 cup), and green onions (1/4 cup). Top with toppings of choice, and enjoy!