This keto chicken enchilada soup is zesty, creamy, comforting, and brings way more flavor to the table than your average chicken soup without any added work.
Keto Chicken Enchilada Soup Video Tutorial
Ingredients for Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
Not much to this creamy chicken enchilada soup! Just a few staples that add a whole lot of flavor. The nutrient breakdown of your cheesy chicken enchilada soup will vary depending on the products you purchase, so read labels carefully. Here’s what to grab and what to watch out for:
- Mild tasting oil with a high smoke point, such as avocado or veggie oil.
- Keto vegetables – We’ll be adding bell peppers and onions. If you’re watching your carbs, feel free to add fewer onions.
- Spices – Cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- Enchilada sauce – Taste test before adding to make sure you like your sauce’s level of spice and flavor. My favorite enchilada sauce is Trader Joe’s brand — unlike most products, it contains no added sugar and has a decent amount of heat.
- Salsa – This ingredient will also affect the heat of your keto chicken enchilada soup. Buy a product that’s as spicy as you’d like your soup to be.
- Chicken broth
- Chicken – boneless and skinless. We use chicken breast, but thighs work too.
- Sour cream – skip for a dairy free keto chicken enchilada soup
- Green onions + cilantro – chop extra to use as a topping.
It’s All About the Toppings…
Top your bowl of low carb chicken enchilada soup with all the goodies! Some of our favorites include:
- An extra dollop of sour cream, for extra creamy chicken enchilada soup
- Another sprinkle of keto cheese
- More green onions + cilantro
- Sliced jalapenos
- Keto tortilla chips for scooping
Want to Save Some Carbs?
As far as macros go, enchilada sauce, salsa, and onions are almost entirely carbohydrates. So, this cheesy chicken enchilada soup is higher in carbs than most recipes on my site. It’s perfect for those that aren’t on a strict low carb eating plan. OR! Those that are willing to make some ingredient adjustments. Here are a few ways to save yourself some carbs:
- Use less onion
- Skip the salsa or enchilada sauce, just be sure to add additional herbs and spices to compensate
- Make my keto taco soup recipe instead. Similar vibe, lower in carbs
- Add more protein and fat, such as extra cheddar, sour cream and/or chicken
Wanna shake things up a bit? This low carb chicken enchilada soup is flexible. Here are some ideas for you:
- Bring on the heat by using a spicy salsa and/or enchilada sauce. You can also mix in some fresh jalapeno, or snappy seasoning (such as cayenne pepper).
- Skip the chicken for a veggie soup.
- Add in other veggies, just saute first.
- Add heavy cream for a creamy chicken enchilada soup
More Keto Soup Recipes
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Keto Beef Stew
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Keto White Chicken Chili
- Keto Tomato Soup
Low Carb Keto Chicken Enchilada SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado or vegetable oil divided
- 2 Cups Red Onion chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper seeded + chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 12 Ounces Enchilada Sauce
- 8 Ounce Salsa
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast boneless + skinless
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Saute. Heat vegetable oil (2 tablespoons) in a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Stir in chopped onion (2 cups) and bell pepper (1) and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin (2 teaspoons), chili powder (1 teaspoon), and salt (1 teaspoon). Stir to coat the veggies in seasoning, and cook until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Simmer. Add the enchilada sauce (12 Ounces), chicken broth (2 cups), salsa (8 ounces), and chicken breast (1 pound). Stir to incorporate. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes -- your soup is done once the internal temp of your chicken reaches 165 F (this will vary depending on how thick your chicken is).
- Chicken. Use tongs to remove cooked chicken onto a cutting board. Once cool enough to handle, shred or chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Finishing touches. Add the sour cream (1 cup) and shredded cheddar (1 cup), and stir until these ingredients dissolve. Add the chicken, cilantro (1/4 cup), and green onions (1/4 cup). Top with toppings of choice, and enjoy!