This low carb tomato soup recipe is one of the tastiest healthy soup recipes in my stockpile and the name doesn’t do it justice. It’s one of those low carb recipes I refer to as a great big bowl of sunshine…
There’s nothing that tastes better on a cold blustery day.
Healthy recipes are often named for their nutrition and not their flavor profile — but this low carb tomato soup recipe is one of those recipes that’s changing the game. Trust me when I tell you, it makes some of the best low carb lunch ideas this side of the Missisissppi!
Let me show you why…
This low carb tomato soup recipe is suuper yummy and it’s really easy to make. There’s a little time involved but it’s mainly bake-and-simmer time so you can get other things done too.
I love to make this dish while I’m doing meal prep for the week since I’m in the kitchen anyway! Here are some other solid qualities to love about this recipe:
- Fresh wholesome ingredients
- Customizable recipe
- Really easy to make
- Use as a side or a meal
- Layers of incredible flavor
As I said, you can multitask while making this super yummy low carb tomato soup recipe because of the bake and simmer time. Here’s what you need to know:
Tomatoes – I love heirloom tomatoes in this low carb tomato soup recipe but romas work well too. When you quarter them up, try to get them all the same size so they roast evenly.
Bacon – You’ll cook the bacon in a large stockpot and reserve some of the grease. This is where you’ll start building your fond for those layers of yummy flavor that develop in this low carb tomato soup recipe.
Aromatic Veggies – You’ll need to sauté the onions and garlic in your stockpot — this helps reduce bitterness and coax out the sweet mellow flavors. Plus, it adds to the fond you’re building for the base of your soup.
Fresh Herbs – It may seem like a lot but fresh herbs have a delicate profile, so it takes more of them. Simmering the basil and thyme in the soup helps coax out the deeper more complex flavors.
Tools To Make
Making this low carb tomato soup recipe is about as simple as it can get, and you don’t need any special gadgets! Here’s what you need to know!
- Baking Sheet – for roasting tomatoes
- Large Stockpot – to build soup in
- Blender (Immersion or Tabletop) – I prefer to just toss the ingredients in my Blendtec and let it work its magic!
You’ve probably got all this stuff in your kitchen already.
Your soup will keep best in a food-grade airtight container in the fridge.
Can You Freeze This?
Oh yeah!! This low carb tomato soup recipe freezes really well. I like to freeze it in single-serve portions. Whether you freeze it in Ziploc bags or food-grade containers, it’s important to leave some room for the liquid to expand.
Meal Prepping Tips
I love making this low carb tomato soup recipe while I’m doing meal prep.
I like to whip up a double batch and freeze most of it in single-serve portions that I can pull out one at a time for low carb dinners. The rest stays in the fridge for the most nutritious, decadent low carb meals.
This low carb tomato soup recipe is sooo flexible. You can easily tweak this delicious bowl of sunshine to suit your dietary goals. Here are a few suggestions…
How Can I Add More Greens?
Technically, you could add some greens to this low carb tomato soup recipe, but it’ll change the flavor of your dish.
Instead of adding greens to your tomato soup, you could try making lettuce soup, broccoli cauliflower soup or cabbage roll soup. You can also serve it with a crisp green salad on the side.
Can I Make This Spicy?
Of course, you can! This creamy roasted low carb tomato soup calls for some red pepper flakes but only enough to add flavor.
If you’ve got soup on the brain and you love spicy like I do, you may want to try making low carb chili or low carb taco soup. Curried butternut squash soup is also pretty good and it’s got a little kick to it.
How Can I Make This Soup Creamy?
This low carb tomato soup is decadently creamy as it is, which is part of its yummy factor. I wouldn’t adjust the cream too much for fear of changing the beautiful flavor.
If you really love creamy soup, you should try butternut squash soup. It’s just so much easier to make something like a super creamy summer squash soup or pumpkin soup rather than running the risk of messing up your low carb tomato soup recipe.
What Other Veggies Can I Sneak In?
I love sneaking low carb veggies into soup recipes. Soup is the perfect disguise for those harder to handle veggies that may be missing from your diet.
This low carb tomato soup does have a decent amount of veggies in it but if you’re looking for a myriad of nutrition, you should make low carb vegetable soup instead! If you’re on a veggie kick or you just want something a little different, you may enjoy spaghetti squash soup. Its every bit as creamy and delicious as low carb tomato soup, only with different veggies. Brussel sprout soup will also give you a metropolis of wholesome greens that are sure to satisfy.
Low Carb Tomato Soup
- 3 Pounds Tomatoes Ripe! I used heirloom, roma works as well.
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 8 Pieces Bacon
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic minced
- 4 Cups Basil Leaves fresh, loosely packed
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Quart Chicken Stock
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream option to use more for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Quarter tomatoes, ensuring they're all roughly the same size.
- Toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper and spread onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the edges are nice and brown (will vary depending on how small your slices are).
- Cook the bacon in a large 8-quart stockpot until crisp.
- Allow cooked bacon to cool on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Remove all but 2 Tablespoons of bacon grease from stockpot.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the roasted tomatoes and any accumulated juices, along with the basil, thyme, red pepper flakes and chicken stock.
- Bring stockpot to a gentle boil, then reduce and cook uncovered at a simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 6 pieces of cooked bacon and heavy cream.
- Use an immersion blender to puree. Alternatively, you can ladle the soup into a blender, and blender*.
- Top with fresh basil, and bacon pieces (you should have 2 leftover pieces) and enjoy!
I absolutely love making low carb soup, especially when the weather turns cold outside! While nothing gives you quite the same fervent glow as low carb tomato soup, it does help to have multiple recipes on hand.
Here are some other tasty low carb soup recipes you may want to fill your freezer with!
- Stuffed Pepper Soup – A new twist on an old classic.
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup – Great for weekday lunches.
- Roasted Tomato Soup – Layers of yummy flavor.
- Low Carb Beef Stew – Wholesome, nutritious and satisfying.
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup – Taking tomato soup to the next level.
This low carb tomato soup recipe is one of my favorite cold-weather dishes. It’s easy to make, great for meal prep and fills me with a fervent glow that warms me from the inside out.
Once you try this recipe, you’ll never look at tomato soup the same way again. I hope you love it as much as I do!