If you’re looking for something beautiful and delicious with complex flavors, this butternut squash soup recipe is about to make your dreams come true!!
I love low carb soup recipes because they combine all of my favorite flavors into perfect, warming bites.
Sweet butternut squash, salty bacon, citrusy sage all come together to make a dish perfect for low carb thanksgiving or any regular old evening. As you earmark low carb recipes for cooler nights, I give fair warning: this one may surpass ALL other butternut squash recipes, and become the new resident fave.
Let’s find out!
Besides being as gorgeous as it is delicious? Well, here are some more reasons to fall in love with this butternut squash soup recipe!
- From start to serving in an hour!
- Inexpensive and easy to find ingredients. Plus butternut squash stays ripe for a while, this is one of those dishes you can make whenever!
- Breathtakingly beautiful. Looking for an impressive dish for a special occasion? Look no further!
Except a little chopping, this recipe is almost effortless. Here are some ideas to make this butternut squash soup recipe even easier:
Butternut Squash – Pro tip: buy pre-peeled, cut and cubed squash! If that isn’t an option, no worries! Here are some instructions to make your prep as easy and safe as possible.
After we chop it, we’ll roast it so we can make a nice mashed butternut squash soup base.
Sage – this beautiful grey-green leaf is part of the mint family. It’s INCREDIBLY flavorful, so a little goes a long way.
Greek yogurt – this (or a thick heavy cream) is going to add a nice clean bite to this sweetly heavy soup, plus add a nice dose of protein.
To make this dish vegan, feel free to make this butternut squash soup coconut milk laced instead, with a healthy pour added when serving.
Tools To Make
This roasted butternut squash soup recipe is so easy to make:
- Rimmed pan – a rimmed sheet, or jelly roll pan, is going to keep the juices from your roasting veggies in the pan and NOT all over your oven.
- Blender – You can use an immersion stick-style blender or a regular blender, whatever you have on hand. Just remember, HOT foods like this soup tend to spatter when blended to stirred, so handle with care! For a traditional blender, do small batches.
This sunset-colored butternut squash soup recipe stores easily in the fridge in an airtight container. Store the toppings like the cream and bacon crumbles on the side so that they can be added fresh.
Can You Freeze This?
This lush soup is freezer friendly – just place it in an airtight container or in some of those nifty freezer soup portions. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop for an easy and tasty low carb meal in minutes!
Meal Prepping Tips
This mouthwatering soup is perfect for meal prepping – setting you up with a healthy and satisfying dinner ready when you are. This butternut squash soup recipe makes 4 portions, so store your leftovers in easy to heat containers in the freezer or fridge, and you have several amazing meals ready to go!
Reheat on the stove or in the microwave, add your toppings, and enjoy!
If you’re looking to shake things up a bit, I may have just thing. Read on!
- Make this spicy. This hearty butternut squash soup recipe could probably stand a dash or two of ginger or chili powder to add a little kick. For other spicy soups, try this perfect low carb chili or this kicky low carb taco soup!
- Make this creamier. You can take as much greek yogurt or heavy cream you want to add to get the texture you long for, or even swap for coconut milk if you want a vegan version. But, you’ll be surprised to see how creamy butternut squash makes the soup on its own — similar to other squash based soups like summer squash soup or pumpkin soup.
- Add more protein. I love to turn this into a low carb chicken soup by tossing some precooked chicken in at the end. Use rotisserie chicken for a rotisserie chicken soup that’s FULL of flava!!
- Add more greens. This butternut squash soup recipe has a delicate flavor that I wouldn’t disrupt with greens — you can probably get away with a few handfuls of mild-tasting greens like spinach or kale (cooked to release their liquid first!). Or go for a classic with this irresistible low carb broccoli cheese soup or this low carb vegetable soup.
Butternut Squash SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below) divided
- 24 Ounces Butternut Squash cubed
- 1 Yellow Onion diced to the same size as butternut squash cubes
- 4 Pieces Bacon optional: more for topping
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons Sage chopped + optional: more for topping
- 1 Cup
- Greek Yogurt / Heavy Cream optional for topping
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Toss the butternut squash, onions, salt, and pepper in 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Spread the veggies in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drape the bacon over the top of your veggies.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. You'll know they're done baking once the veggies are soft and start to brown, and the bacon is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, In a large stockpot, add 1 remaining tablespoon of veggie oil, along with the garlic and sage. Heat over medium. Saute until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth. Once the broth is heated through, remove soup from heat and add the baked veggies and bacon.
- Use a stick blender to blend all the ingredients together. Or, place ingredients in a blender (easier!). Blend until smooth.
- Scoop the soup into bowls and top with additional bacon crumbles, a dollop of Greek yogurt or chopped sage. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Keep recipe as is and enjoy a smaller portion (consider making this recipe into 8 servings and dividing the nutritional info in half).
- Double the veggie broth. This will thin out the soup and increase the # of servings.
- Add heavy cream. This will increase the fat content and increase the # of servings.
Did this butternut squash soup recipe make your healthy soup recipes short list?? I bet it did! You may want to try these other scrumptious favorites!!
- Stuffed Pepper Soup. A family favorites, hearty soup!
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup. Another great side dish!
- Low Carb Tomato Soup. Serve with a low carb grilled cheese for the PERFECT meal!
- Chicken Curry Soup. Doesn’t get more flavorful than this one.
- Low Carb Beef Stew. Wait till you see my favorite potato swap!
I hope this butternut squash soup recipe makes a lovely and luscious meal to round out your day. Comment below with your favorite side to pair with this creamy soup!