I’m dreaming of a white Christmas, and also of this mashed butternut squash recipe that makes all my holiday dreams come true!
When it comes to low carb side dishes, NO ONE expects them to be so addictive, but this butternut squash recipe, this recipe! Is one of the most highly requested side dishes in our house.
Lush and creamy, with gentle spices, plus it’s a colorful dish that’ll pop on your holiday table.
Serve it alongside other veggies sides like butternut squash soup, cauliflower stuffing, and smashed brussel sprouts for a dinner that’s more about sides than the main course (my kind of meal…). Let’s dive in!
This mashed butternut squash recipe is absolutely gorgeous on the table. But that’s not the only reason to love it:
- 3 ingredients plus some spices
- Versatile – make it savory, make it sweet — it’s a choose your own adventure recipe!
- A healthy, vitamin-packed side that’s perfect for your low carb holiday plans
Easy peasy, this is one of those butternut squash recipes that comes together in seconds so you can focus on more important things. Here are a few tricks that’ll save you tons of time!
- Buy peeled/diced squash – If you’ve cut + peeled butternut squash before, you know what a pain it can be!
- Mashing – I like mashing the butternut squash with a stick blender (fewer dishes, minimal effort). You can do this in a blender or food processor if you prefer.
- Microwaving butternut squash – Bonus: you can do this with the whole squash! Just pierce it all over with a fork and pop it in for 5 minutes.
Can You Freeze This?
Freeze this mashed butternut squash in individual batches for easy to reheat side dishes when you want your dinner to have a little something extra on the side.
This mashed butternut squash is begging for a holiday meal full of festive, hearty flavors like stuffed chicken breast with stuffing.
BUT! It also goes great with simple dinners like spinach stuffed chicken.
Make this recipe your very own — healthy butternut squash recipes like this one are versatile and delicious practically any way you serve them! Here are a few tips:
- Add other veggies to the mash. Try mixing in other pureed veggies like sweet potatoes, potatoes, cauliflower, you name it.
- Turn this into a soup. Thin the butternut to a soup consistency with a touch of broth, coconut milk, or heavy cream for a low carb vegetable soup everyone will love.
- Add more herbs and spices. I love savory butternut squash recipes with garlic, rosemary, and thyme, but if you have a favorite herb/spice, add it on in.
Love all the vegetables this time of year has to offer? Here are a few others you’ll dig for a low carb, veggie-based side dish extravaganza!
- Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- Broccoli Rice
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
Mashed Butternut SquashPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 Pounds Butternut Squash this is roughly the weight of an average sized butternut squash. If using whole.
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese
Mix-Ins (For Savory):
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Sage, Thyme and/or Rosemary minced
- Steam butternut squash (3 pounds). I do this in a large pot with 1" of water and a steamer basket (squash goes in the basket). Then cover with a lid and steam until fork tender (about 13-15 minutes). Alternatively, you can do this in the microwave or without the steamer basket in a heavy bottom pot.
- Remove steamer basket and water from the pot.
- Melt butter (2 tablespoons) in pot over medium-high heat.
- FOR SAVORY: Add minced garlic (1 teaspoon) and minced herbs (1 teaspoon) to melted butter. Saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add butternut squash and salt (1 teaspoon).
- FOR SWEET: Add brown sugar or erythritol (2 tablespoons), cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon) and nutmeg (1/4 teaspoon).
- Mash using a potato masher, an immersion blender, or place ingredients in a high speed blender*.
- Taste seasoning and adjust to your taste (I always add 1 more teaspoon of salt for savory). Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Lakanto, Swerve, or Erythritol. I stick to Lakanto and Swerve which are a 1:1 swap with traditional sugar. If using a different brand of Erythritol, keep in mind it's 70% as sweet as sugar, so you may need to add more to taste.
- Not sure if your blender is high speed? Check out these Blendtec Blenders, I can't live without mine!
- Nutritional information is based off the SAVORY variation: