Finding crave-worthy low carb soup recipes can be a bit of a chore until you stumble upon something like this curried butternut squash soup!
Low carb dinners don’t always come in a bowlful of creamy delightful bliss, but this one sure does!
It’s one of those low carb recipes that taste every bit as DELICIOUS as traditional butternut squash recipes. We get so comfortable with processed convenient foods that sometimes we lose sight of the really good stuff… and this recipe my friends, is full of the GOOD STUFF!
Let’s dive in!
Looking for more keto lunch ideas? Check out my rotisserie chicken soup, keto chicken soup, or my keto chili.
What I Love About This Curried Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
I’m really crazy over the creamy consistency of this curried butternut squash soup recipe and I’ve always been a sucker for curry. I just love the way different spices bring foods alive and coax different flavors to the forefront.
Here are some other reasons to love this recipe:
- Wholesome and super nutritious
- Totally vegan/vegetarian
- Only 20-minute prep time
- Fantastic for meal prep
- Great with any meal or as a meal
This curried butternut squash soup has some intense flavor and it’s so simple to make it’s not even funny. Believe me, it’ll make you look like a chef! Here’s what you need to know:
LInking Keyword: mashed butternut squash
This amazing keto butternut squash soup makes an awesome meal for one when you need a grab-n-go lunch, or you just want to curl up on the couch with a big warm bowl of comfort. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to throw it together:
Veggies – When you put your veggies in the oven take care not to overcrowd the pan. Spread them out evenly so the air can circulate well.
Spices – You’ll want to give your curry powder and cumin a quick toast in a hot skillet. They’re going to be part of your soup base, so you’ll want to wake them up a bit and bring their complex flavors out.
Vegetable Broth – This is your soup base and it keeps your curried butternut squash soup recipe vegan. If you’re not vegan/vegetarian, you can use chicken broth instead.
Coconut Milk – Be sure to grab full-fat canned coconut milk (not the “lighter” products that come in a carton). This stuff tends to separate when stored, so you’ll have to mix it and break up chunks before adding it to your soup base. Psst — you may want a little extra coconut milk for garnishing/serving.
Tools To Make
Making this curried butternut squash soup recipe is super simple and it doesn’t require a lot of crazy tools. I’m sure you’ve probably got everything you need already:
- Rimmed baking sheet – to roast veggies in the oven
- Stick blender or countertop blender – to blend the soup into that creamy dreamy consistency
This recipe is SO easy, there’s no need to modify for an instant pot butternut squash soup or a slow cooker butternut squash soup — these kitchen tools are awesome, but in this case, using either of these would take more time!
This curried butternut squash soup recipe keeps really well in the fridge. Simply transfer it into an airtight container and toss it in there.
Can You Freeze This?
Absolutely! The best part is that this curried butternut squash soup recipe gets better as it sits, kind of like spaghetti sauce. It keeps well in freezer safe containers or Ziploc bags, but it does need to slow thaw overnight in the fridge.
Meal Prepping Tips
This curried butternut squash soup recipe is awesome for healthy vegetarian recipes meal prep. I like to make a batch and divvy it up in single serve containers that I can grab when I need some healthy dinner ideas. It’s always nice to have some single serve portions in the freezer too for when friends drop by.
Tweaking this curried butternut squash soup recipe couldn’t be easier. Your options are as open as your imagination! Here are a few simple healthy recipes suggestions:
- Make this spicier. Try adding a few dashes of tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper for some crazy HOT flavoring. Or, you can check out my keto taco soup to get an idea of how you can add some heat to this otherwise tame dish.
- Sneak in more veggies! Think veggies with a neutral flavor — they’ll be easier to sneak in without changing the flavor of keto vegetable soup. For example, you can toss in pumpkin for a butternut squash pumpkin soup.
- Add cheese. What’s not to LOVE about a cheesy bowl of delicious soup?! Feel free to mix in your fave — paneer would be my top pick. Or you can go with something totally different like parmesan, jack or cheddar, (hey, if it works in keto broccoli cheese soup, it could work here too!). Your soup, your rules.
- Add some protein. Try adding Pre-cooked/shredded chicken (rotisserie for bonus points!) for a low carb chicken soup. OR! Take this soup in a totally different direction with cubed beef (ala keto beef stew). If you go this route, keep the veggies in chunks for a heartier meal.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
Making low carb soup is a great way to prep for the week and get your veggies in too. It makes a wholesome nutritious meal for lunch or dinner, especially during the cold weather months.
Here are some of my favorite healthy soup recipes you may want to try.
- Keto Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Keto White Chicken Chili
- Keto Ramen
- Chicken Curry Soup
- Keto Chicken and Dumplings
Curried Butternut Squash SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 24 Ounces Butternut Squash cubed
- 1 Yellow Onion diced to the same size as butternut squash cubes
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 4 Sprigs Thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Curry Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Cup
- 1 Can Coconut Milk full fat
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Toss cubed butternut squash (24 Ounces), diced yellow onion (1), minced garlic (2 cloves) and thyme (4 sprigs) in veggie oil (2 tablespoons) and spread onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- Salt (1 teaspoon) and pepper (1/2 teaspoon) veggies, and cook for 45 minutes, or until the veggies are soft and start to brown.
- In a large stockpot, add remaining veggie oil (1 tablespoon) and heat over medium.
- Once shimmering, add curry powder (1 teaspoon) and cumin (1/2 teaspoon). Toast until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk (1 can) and vegetable broth (1 cup). And stir to incorporate.
- Once the veggies are done, and the coconut milk/broth base is warm, add the veggies. Be sure to destem the thyme.
- Use a stick blender to blend all the ingredients together. Or, place ingredients in a high-speed blender* (easier!). Blend until smooth.
- Scoop the soup into bowls and top with pumpkin seeds fresh thyme and coconut milk and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Mild Tasting Oil. You want an oil with a high smoke point and mild flavor -- think avocado, vegetable, safflower, sunflower, peanut. Skip EVOO, coconut, or sesame oil.
I was browsing your site after I saw your cheeseburger casserole recipe when I saw this recipe. I had all the ingredients so made it this morning. I have made several different recipes for butternut squash soup, but this one is amazing!
Yahoo! I’m so happy you enjoyed as much as I do!?
The best butternut soup ever! Knocked our socks off! This is a keeper and one I’ll make on a regular basis all year long! Thank you for creating an outstanding 5+++ star recipe!
Yahoo! I’m so happy you enjoyed it Paula! ?