When I’m looking for low carb soup that makes me feel comfy and cozy on a cool day, this low carb chicken soup recipe has all of the bases covered…
Think of it as a homemade snuggle soup, you know what I’m talking about, low carb recipes that are perfect when a storm is coming, when one of us is sick, or when we just don’t want to use the oven!
I love healthy low carb dinners, and this one is quick, easy, and is classically delicious. Flavorful veggies softened in perfectly seasoned broth – other low carb chicken recipes could learn a few things from this one!
Let’s get going!
This perfect chicken soup is amazing because:
- It’s ridiculously fast! See a thunder cloud? Get this soup going and you’ll be sipping it while it sprinkles.
- Easy recipes ingredients that you totally have in your pantry already!
- Classic flavors – homesick? Tummyache? Want to force Autumn to just arrive already? This soup is for every mood.
This low carb chicken soup recipe is so blissfully effortless, it’ll be a staple in any kitchen!
You’re probably familiar with all of these ingredients, but here is a little extra information!
Chicken. I love using chicken thighs in this low carb chicken soup recipe, as they add tons of flavor to the broth. If you hate chicken thighs, feel free to use breasts instead.
OR! If you’re running short on time, use chicken broth and pre-cooked chicken — This is an awesome recipe for making rotisserie chicken soup! (if you opt for this, you’re basically just heating the ingredients together, so keep that in mind as you adjust the cooking time)
Herbs. Math time! This low carb chicken soup recipe calls for fresh herbs, but what if you only have dried on hand? The ratio is generally 3x fresh to 1x dried. Also, 1 sprig = about 1 teaspoon fresh. So, in this recipe use 1/3 tsp dried rosemary, and 1/3 tsp dried thyme.
Garlic. Did you know that you can buy garlic cloves peeled and ready to go in the produce section? If you would rather peel them at home, use this great hack to get them ready for all of your recipes in a flash!
Veggies. Carrots, onions, and celery, this trio is a foundational mixture called mirepoix. It’s a base for many traditional recipes because of the delicious interplay of flavors and aromas. Feel free to make extra and freeze it to have on hand for future soups!
Tools To Make
This quintessential chicken soup uses basic tools you already have on hand:
- Large heavy bottom stockpot with a lid. I always use my dutch oven for this!
- Tongs. For removing the chicken from the broth.
- Strainer. To remove herbs from the broth.
How to Freeze Chicken Soup
This soup is easy to freeze. Just pop in an airtight container, and freeze — I like to place resealable bags on a rimmed baking sheet so they freeze flat. Once frozen, remove the baking sheet, and you have easy to store portions.
Or, you can use these nifty 1-cup soup freezer trays to have low carb dinners available whenever you want! GENIUS!
You can serve this soup a handful of ways to really ZEST-IT-UP! Here are some of my faves:
- With parmesan crisps, crumbled and sprinkled on top. This adds a delicious crunch and works so well with the flavors.
- With a slice of low carb bread, to soap up any extra broth. Bonus points if you melt some cheese on that bread!
- Obvi, alongside low carb salads for the classic combo.
Check out these amazing healthy recipes variations for making this classic soup your own!
- Add in your favorite spicy addition — jalapenos, cayenne pepper, tabasco, you name it!
- Make this recipe into a luscious creamy chicken soup by adding heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk towards the end.
- Add more veggies! Add some cauliflower (like I do in my keto chicken and dumplings) or turnips for an AMAZING potato dupe (like in this low carb beef stew).
Loading up your winter meal plan with low carb soup recipes? Make sure to get these in the rotation!
Low Carb Chicken SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 12 Cups Water
- 3 Pounds Chicken thighs boneless + skinless
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 3 Stalks Celery rinsed + with leaves
- 1 Yellow Onion peel intact
- 2 Stick Carrots peeled
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Sprig Rosemary fresh
- 4 Sprigs Thyme fresh
- 4 Cups Cabbage shredded
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Add chicken and salt. Return water back to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- At the end of 30 minutes, check the chicken with a fork -- you'll know it's done once the chicken is no longer pink in the center, and it's fork-tender.
- Use tongs to remove chicken to a plate and set aside to cool.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, rosemary, and thyme.
- Simmer soup uncovered for 1 hour.
- Use tongs to remove carrot, onion, celery, thyme, and rosemary to a plate and set aside.
- Strain ingredients, saving the broth.
- Return broth back to the stockpot and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, dice chicken, carrot and onion (remove onion peel).
- Destem thyme and rosemary.
- Add everything back to the stockpot, along with your shredded cabbage. Cook for 10 minutes -- the soup will be done once the cabbage is tender to your liking.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Taste the broth seasoning and adjust to your taste. I typically add 2 additional teaspoons of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Divide into bowls, and enjoy!