When I’m looking for low carb soup that make me feel comfy and cozy on a cool day, this low carb chicken soup recipe has all of the bases covered…
Think of it as a homemade snuggle soup, you know what I’m talking about, low carb recipes that’re perfect when a storm is coming, when one of us is sick, or when we just don’t want to use the oven!
I love healthy low carb dinners, and this one is quick, easy, and is classically delicious. Flavorful veggies softened in perfectly seasoned broth – other low carb chicken recipes could learn a few things from this one!
Let’s get going!
This perfect chicken soup is amazing because:
- It’s ridiculously fast! See a thunder cloud? Get this soup going and you’ll be sipping it while it sprinkles.
- Easy recipes ingredients that you totally have in your pantry already!
- Classic flavors – homesick? Tummyache? Want to force Autumn to just arrive already? This soup is for every mood.
This low carb chicken soup recipe is so blissfully effortless, it’ll be a staple in any kitchen!
You’re probably familiar with all of these ingredients, but here is a little extra information!
Chicken Thighs – I love using chicken thighs in this low carb chicken soup recipe, as they add tons of flavor to the broth. If you hate chicken thighs, feel free to use breast instead.
OR! If you’re running short on time, use chicken broth and pre-cooked chicken — This is an awesome recipe for making rotisserie chicken soup! (if you opt for this, you’re basically just heating the ingredients together, so keep that in mind as you adjust the cooking time)
Rosemary and Thyme – Math time! This low carb chicken soup recipe calls for fresh herbs, but what if you only have dried on hand? The ratio is generally 3x fresh to 1x dried. Also 1 sprig = about 1 teaspoon fresh. So, in this recipe use 1/3 tsp dried Rosemary, and 1/3 tsp dried Thyme.
Garlic – Did you know that you can buy garlic cloves peeled and ready to go in the produce section? That makes using this antioxidant packed veggie a breeze. If you would rather peel them at home, use this great hack to get them ready for all of your recipes in a flash!
Onions, celery, carrots – this trio is a foundational mixture called mirepoix. It’s a base for many traditional recipes because of the delicious interplay of flavors and aromas. Feel free to make extra and freeze it to have on hand for future healthy chicken recipes and soups!
Tools To Make
This quintessential chicken soup uses basic tools you already have on hand. But, you can make it even easier by using some nifty devices…
- Large heavy bottom stockpot with a lid. I always use my dutch oven for this!
- Tongs. For removing the chicken from the broth.
- Strainer. To remove herbs from the broth.
Short on time? Try instant pot chicken soup — Simply cook the stock on pressure cooker high for 20 minutes, then pressure release. Remove the lid, chop the chicken and veggies, and toss everything (along with your cabbage) back into the instant pot. Use the saute setting to simmer your soup until the cabbage is tender (about 10 minutes).
You can even turn it into instant pot chicken tortilla soup by mixing in a few zesty additions!
Need it to cook all day and be ready when you get home? Crockpot chicken soup is here to save the day! Simply cook the stock on low heat for 6-8 hours (you’ll know it’s done once the chicken is no longer pink). Then remove/chop chicken and veggies, and add them back to the crockpot, along with the cabbage. Cover, and continue to cook for 20 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender.
One of my favorite things about this low carb chicken soup recipe is that I can make a lot at once and have plenty of leftovers. This soup is easy to store! Just put it into an airtight container and store it in the fridge. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave, and you have a healthy, heartwarming meal right at your fingertips.
Can You Freeze This
This soup is easy to freeze. Just pop in an airtight container, and freeze it flat — I like to place resealable bags on a rimmed baking sheet so they freeze flat. Once frozen, remove the baking sheet from the oven and you have easy to store portions!
Or, if you want to be really ahead of the curve, you can use these nifty 1-cup soup freezer trays to have low carb dinners available whenever you want! GENIUS!
Meal Prepping Tips
Since it comes out to 4 perfect portions, this low carb chicken soup recipe is great for meal prepping. Simply store it in 4 airtight tupperware containers or mason jars. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove, and you have healthy dinner ideas in minutes!
Check out these amazing healthy recipes variations for making this classic soup your own!
How Can I Make This Healthier?
This healthy soup recipes has some amazing vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants packed into its short ingredient list. If you’re looking for even more nutrient density, stir in whatever veggies you’re craving! Consider each veggies cook time and adjust the simmer time as necessary.
For example craving spinach, ala chicken florentine soup? Stir it in when you add (or instead of) the cabbage. Looking for a more hearty chicken and vegetable soup (zucchini, summer squash, etc.)? You’ll want to cook these a little longer — use a fork to check tenderness.
Can I Make This Spicy?
If you want to make this low carb chicken soup recipe warming in more ways than one, you have options! Add in your favorite spicy addition — jalapenos, cayenne pepper, tabasco, you name it!
You can even stir in some salsa (towards the end) for a delicious chicken taco soup — add some veggies as well (tip above) for a chicken fajita soup. Of course, my favorite way to make low carb taco soup is with a big old dollop of cream cheese us well… just sayin’.
How Can I Make This Creamy?
You can make this recipe into a luscious low carb creamy chicken soup with just a few easy additions. Add in some manganese-rich coconut milk for this glorious coconut chicken soup, or stir in a bit of heavy cream.
How Can I Add “Noodles, Rice, Dumplings or Potatoes”?
In this low carb chicken soup recipe, the cabbage plays the role of traditional noodles — feel free to swap them for zoodles, cauliflower rice, low carb noodles or dumplings!
For keto chicken and dumplings, use large pieces of cauliflower. For low carb cabbage roll, use cauliflower rice! For low carb beef stew, try subbing potatoes with turnips. All of these subs have a great texture that may even trick you carb lovin’ pals!
Low Carb Chicken SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 12 Cups Water
- 3 Pounds Chicken thighs boneless + skinless
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 3 Stalks Celery rinsed + with leaves
- 1 Yellow Onion peel intact
- 2 Stick Carrots peeled
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Sprig Rosemary fresh
- 4 Sprigs Thyme fresh
- 4 Cups Cabbage shredded
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Add chicken and salt. Return water back to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- At the end of 30 minutes, check the chicken with a fork -- you'll know it's done once the chicken is cooked through (no longer pink) and it's fork-tender.
- Use tongs to remove chicken to a plate and set aside to cool.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, rosemary, and thyme.
- Simmer soup uncovered for 1 hour.
- Use tongs to remove carrot, onion, celery, thyme, and rosemary to a plate and set aside.
- Strain soup. Saving the broth.
- Return broth back to the stockpot and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, dice chicken, carrot and onion (remove onion peel).
- Destem thyme and rosemary.
- Add everything back to the stockpot, along with your shredded cabbage. Cook for 10 minutes -- the soup will be done once the cabbage is tender to your liking.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Taste seasoning in broth and adjust to your taste. I typically add 2 additional teaspoons of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Divide into bowls, and enjoy!
Loading up your winter meal plan with chicken soup recipes? Make sure to get these in the rotation!
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Chinese Chicken Soup
- Thai Chicken Soup
This gorgeous low carb chicken soup recipe is going to be a healthy recipe you turn to no matter what the weather is like. Comment below with your favorite time to curl up with a bowl!