One of soup’s greatest strengths is its versatility—but I believe everyone should have a go-to recipe for classic keto chicken soup. The kind that is so easy that you learn it, know it, and then don’t need to reach for the recipe. The kind that makes any night cozy. The kind that you know will just make you feel better. This one is mine. The easiest of keto dinners, extra herbs, and a handful of parmesan make this soup extra special.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
Soup for the Soul. Or a Tuesday.
Simple as it is, in my house, we love this soup. And yes, it does make us feel better when we aren’t feeling well. But it also makes us feel better when we just need a simple, cozy dinner. Homesick? Soup. Tired of menu planning? Soup. Want to take care of a friend? Make them this soup. Batch of something for the week? Soup! I think you see the point here. I also love this because it comes together so quickly. See a thunder cloud? You’ll have a tasty, warming bowl of goodness by the times the raindrops hit the ground.
I can’t get enough of the fresh herbs in this recipe—but I’ve made it with dried plenty of times and it is still great. Remember, versatility is on your side here—add some heat, try different veggie combinations, have some fun with toppings—it’s all about what means comfort to you.
Soup! There It Is. Hope you enjoy! 🍲❤️ – Linds x
On your phone? Check my web story here.
Keto Chicken Soup Ingredients + Swaps
- The veggies – celery, yellow onion, carrots + garlic – you can add your favorite keto vegetables in too! Cauliflower rice, mushrooms, kale, you name it.
- The chicken – You can use chicken breast, however, thighs are higher in fat and have so much more flavor.
- The herbs – rosemary, thyme, and parsley. Fresh is preferred!
- The noodles – thinly sliced cabbage! It’s the easiest way to add a noodle shape and texture to this dish. You can always use your favorite pasta substitute instead: spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or edamame noodles. I suggest saving shirataki or kelp noodles for Asian-inspired dishes, like my keto ramen instead.
- The game-changer – grated parmesan. The perfect salty, cheesy addition to this broth.
How to Make Keto Chicken Soup:
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a large stockpot. Once shimmering, add the celery, onions, and carrots, and saute until softened.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, chicken, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Make sure the chicken is fully submerged in broth, and bring soup to a boil.
- Remove cooked chicken to a cutting board and allow it to cool. Once cool enough to handle, shred or chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Stir in the cabbage and cook until softened to your liking.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in the chicken, parmesan, and parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Enjoy!
Storing, Freezing, + Reheating
Store any keto chicken soup recipe leftovers in the fridge. It freezes beautifully as well, check out these tips to stock your freezer. Reheat your low carb chicken soup by defrosting it in the fridge overnight, then heating it in the microwave or over the stove.
Low Carb Chicken Soup Serving Recommendations
Serve this keto chicken soup with cabbage as you would traditional chicken soup — I love a freshly toasted slice of my almond flour bread or keto bread.
🤔 How Many Carbs Are in a Bowl of Chicken Soup?
Traditional chicken noodle soup has about 13g carbs per serving. Skip the noodles, and your only carbs are the veggies, which will bring you closer to the carb count of this recipe, about 3g net carbs per serving.
Keto Soup in the Slow Cooker or Instant Pot
Keto soup recipes like this one are easy to make in whatever kitchen appliance you’d like. Here’s how…
- Slow cooker low carb chicken soup: First, you’ll want to saute the onion, celery, and carrot. Then toss your broth, herbs, and chicken together in your crockpot and cover with the lid. Cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Instant pot keto chicken soup: First, saute the onion, celery, and carrot in the instant pot. Then, add the herbs, chicken, and broth, and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- Keto Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Keto Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- Keto Chicken Tikka Masala
- Keto Fried Chicken
Keto Chicken SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 tablespoon avocado or vegetable oil
- 3 Stalks Celery diced
- 1 1/2 cup Yellow Onion diced
- 2 Carrots peeled + diced
- 5 Cloves Garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Pounds Chicken thighs boneless + skinless
- 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1 3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme minced
- 4 Cups Cabbage shredded
- 1 cup parmesan grated
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley chopped
- Saute. Heat vegetable oil (1 tablespoon) over medium heat in a large stockpot. Once shimmering, add the celery (3 stalks), onions (1 1/2 cup), and carrots (2), and saute until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic (5 cloves) and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Simmer. Add the broth (6 cups), chicken (1 1/2 punds), salt (1 3/4 teaspoon), pepper (1 teaspoon), rosemary (1 tablespoon), and thyme (1 tablespoon). Make sure the chicken is fully submerged in broth, and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and continue to cook until the chicken reaches an internal temp of 165 -- about 20-25 minutes.
- Chicken. Remove cooked chicken to a cutting board and allow it to cool. Once cool enough to handle, shred or chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Finish + serve. Stir in the cabbage (4 cups) and cook until softened to your liking (this was 10 minutes for us). Remove soup from heat and stir in the chicken, parmesan (1 cup), and parsley. (1/4 cup) Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Enjoy!