When I’m looking for low carb soup that makes me feel comfy and cozy on a cool day, this low carb chicken soup recipe has all of the bases covered…
Think of it as a homemade snuggle soup, you know what I’m talking about, low carb recipes that are perfect when a storm is coming, when one of us is sick, or when we just don’t want to use the oven!
I love healthy low carb dinners, and this one is quick, easy, and is classically delicious. Flavorful veggies softened in perfectly seasoned broth – other low carb chicken recipes could learn a few things from this one!
Let’s get going!
This perfect chicken soup is amazing because:
- It’s ridiculously fast! See a thunder cloud? Get this soup going and you’ll be sipping it while it sprinkles.
- Easy recipes ingredients that you totally have in your pantry already!
- Classic flavors – homesick? Tummyache? Want to force Autumn to just arrive already? This soup is for every mood.
This low carb chicken soup recipe is so blissfully effortless, it’ll be a staple in any kitchen!
You’re probably familiar with all of these ingredients, but here is a little extra information!
Chicken. I love using chicken thighs in this low carb chicken soup recipe, as they add tons of flavor to the broth. If you hate chicken thighs, feel free to use breasts instead.
OR! If you’re running short on time, use chicken broth and pre-cooked chicken — This is an awesome recipe for making rotisserie chicken soup! (if you opt for this, you’re basically just heating the ingredients together, so keep that in mind as you adjust the cooking time)
Herbs. Math time! This low carb chicken soup recipe calls for fresh herbs, but what if you only have dried on hand? The ratio is generally 3x fresh to 1x dried. Also, 1 sprig = about 1 teaspoon fresh. So, in this recipe use 1/3 tsp dried rosemary, and 1/3 tsp dried thyme.
Garlic. Did you know that you can buy garlic cloves peeled and ready to go in the produce section? If you would rather peel them at home, use this great hack to get them ready for all of your recipes in a flash!
Veggies. Carrots, onions, and celery, this trio is a foundational mixture called mirepoix. It’s a base for many traditional recipes because of the delicious interplay of flavors and aromas. Feel free to make extra and freeze it to have on hand for future soups!
Tools To Make
This quintessential chicken soup uses basic tools you already have on hand:
- Large heavy bottom stockpot with a lid. I always use my dutch oven for this!
- Tongs. For removing the chicken from the broth.
- Strainer. To remove herbs from the broth.
How to Freeze Chicken Soup
This soup is easy to freeze. Just pop in an airtight container, and freeze — I like to place resealable bags on a rimmed baking sheet so they freeze flat. Once frozen, remove the baking sheet, and you have easy to store portions.
Or, you can use these nifty 1-cup soup freezer trays to have low carb dinners available whenever you want! GENIUS!
You can serve this soup a handful of ways to really ZEST-IT-UP! Here are some of my faves:
- With parmesan crisps, crumbled and sprinkled on top. This adds a delicious crunch and works so well with the flavors.
- With a slice of low carb bread, to soap up any extra broth. Bonus points if you melt some cheese on that bread!
- Obvi, alongside low carb salads for the classic combo.
Check out these amazing healthy recipes variations for making this classic soup your own!
- Add in your favorite spicy addition — jalapenos, cayenne pepper, tabasco, you name it!
- Make this recipe into a luscious creamy chicken soup by adding heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk towards the end.
- Add more veggies! Add some cauliflower (like I do in my keto chicken and dumplings) or turnips for an AMAZING potato dupe (like in this low carb beef stew).
Loading up your winter meal plan with low carb soup recipes? Make sure to get these in the rotation!
Low Carb Keto Chicken SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 tablespoon avocado or vegetable oil
- 3 Stalks Celery diced
- 1 1/2 cup Yellow Onion diced
- 2 Carrots peeled + diced
- 5 Cloves Garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Pounds Chicken thighs boneless + skinless
- 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1 3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme minced
- 4 Cups Cabbage shredded
- 1 cup parmesan grated
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley chopped
- Saute. Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a large stockpot. Once shimmering, add the celery, onions, and carrots, and saute until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Simmer. Add the broth, chicken, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Make sure the chicken is fully submerged in broth, and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and continue to cook until the chicken reaches an internal temp of 165 -- about 20-25 minutes.
- Chicken. Remove cooked chicken to a cutting board and allow it to cool. Once cool enough to handle, shred or chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Finish + serve. Stir in the cabbage and cook until softened to your liking (this was 10 minutes for us). Remove soup from heat and stir in the chicken, parmesan, and parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Enjoy!