This keto chicken and dumplings recipe is pure lip smackin’ comfort food. Now it’s true that comfort food soothes the soul but it’s not always so smoothing on our bodies (helloooo carbs!) DunDunDun… cue up my low carb chicken recipes (also healthy recipes!) for your low carb dinners!
You know I’d never lead you astray! This keto chicken and dumplings recipe is one of those low carb soup that makes you say, “Are you SURE this chicken soup is one of those healthy AND low carb recipes?!”
You’ll be slurping this filling, hearty soup down in no time! Warm-up to this dish when the weather gets cooler! Let’s dive in…
Here’s why this is my favorite go-to low carb dinners:
- It’s truly the most soothing, comforting, creamy, cheesy bowl of goodness!
- This recipe yields a TON of servings! (Results will vary based on how much liquid you use but I got 8 servings out of mine!)
- You can make a larger batch and freeze it to eat later when you don’t feel like cooking! I love a ready-made, home-cooked meal that I just have to heat up!
- This recipe is gluten-free, low carb and high in protein.
Here’s the rundown of everything you need to know to make this keto chicken and dumplings recipe:
Chicken – I prefer chicken thighs to breasts for my healthy chicken recipes as they’re significantly more flavorful!
If you don’t have time to cook the chicken thighs, simply pick up a rotisserie chicken at your grocery store to save time and turn this into rotisserie chicken soup! It couldn’t be any easier!
Veggies – In the recipe below, I like to use a traditional mirepoix (celery, onions, and carrots).
Cauliflower – Traditional chicken and dumplings is high in carbs due to the dough stuffed dumpling, but in this low carb chicken soup, I nix the carb culprit dumpling and instead use a cauliflower head. I mean, is there anything that cauliflower can’t be used for?!
It is one of my fave substitutes for carb-laden ingredients! And I love the way it soaks up the chicken broth, herbs and spices! Deeeelish!
Tools To Make
Here are the tools you’ll need to simmer up this keto chicken and dumplings recipe: (they’re minimal, which means less dishes to clean up! Hooray!)
- Large saucepan to cook veggies, chicken, herbs and spices
- Cutting board to shred your chicken (you can also just use a plate too!)
If you don’t want to cook this keto chicken and dumplings recipe on your stovetop, try using your Instant Pot to make instant pot chicken soup (another killer IP recipe is my instant pot chicken tortilla soup recipe!) or your crockpot to make crockpot chicken soup!
These tools make life SO much easier when you’re on the go but still want to make a balanced dinner.
Chicken Soup Storing Tips
Like any chicken soup, my keto chicken and dumplings recipe needs to be stored in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze This Healthy Dinner?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze this! It’s also one of my favorite healthy dinner ideas to freeze!
Meal Prepping Tips
I prefer to chop everything up ahead of time so all I have to do is dump the ingredients in as I go through my recipe.
Another great hack is to buy the ready-made mirepoix (two parts onion, one part onion + celery) from the frozen section at your grocery store to save all that time chopping up your veggies! You can also buy a rotisserie chicken to save time cooking a raw one!
You know that my healthy recipes always allow for variations, check out the ones below to jazz up this dish even more!
- Try adding some fresh ginger or turmeric, make (or buy) bone broth instead of store-bought chicken broth or Better Than Bouillon.
- Make this spicy. Turn up the heat to make this soup spicier by adding jalapenos, poblano peppers, serrano peppers, habanero peppers, etc. Want more soup options with a kick?!? Try my low carb taco soup or chicken enchilada soup. You WILL be feeling the heat!
- Make this more creamy. Add more heavy whipping cream or cream cheese to taste. Hooked on the creamy soup train? Try this Thai chicken soup!
- Add noodles or grains. Want the comfort of noodles or grains without the carb intake? Try using Shirataki noodles (Japanese noodles that have zero calories AND are also carb free!?! Say no more and load them up on my plates!) Or this Lentil pasta (it’s high in protein, fiber, gluten-free!)
Keto Chicken and DumplingsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 Pounds Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless
- 4 Tablespoons Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below) divided
- 1 Large Onion chopped, yellow
- 2 Celery Ribs sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1/2 Teaspoons Thyme fresh, leaves only
- 1/4 Cup Sherry dry
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Teaspoons Better than Bouillon Chicken Flavor
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 Carrots peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley fresh, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese or low carb Greek yogurt
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add chicken thighs (in batches) to brown both sides of the chicken.
- Remove cooked chicken to a plate on the side, and continue cooking remaining pieces.
- Add remaining oil to the saucepan and lower the heat to medium.
- Once oil begins to shimmer, add onion, and celery until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add sherry and stir, loosening the brown bits at the bottom of your saucepan.
- Add the chicken broth, Better Than Bouillon, pepper, carrots, bay leaves and the browned chicken + accumulating juices on the plate.
- Cook uncovered for 1 hours, or until the chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, cut your cauliflower into dumpling sized florets.
- Add them to your soup after it has cooked for 1 hour. Then, continue to cook the soup uncovered for 1 more hours.
- Remove chicken from saucepan and place on a cutting board.
- Once cooled, shred the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Remove bay leaves and any fat that is floating in the soup.
- Add chicken back to the saucepan along with the parsley, heavy whipping cream and cream cheese.
- Stir together to combine until cream cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and divvy into bowls. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Are you a healthy soup nut like me?!? Try these healthy soup recipes to curb your cravings:
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Chicken Curry Soup
- Pumpkin Soup
- Low Carb Beef Stew
- Lettuce Soup
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
This keto chicken and dumplings recipe is where it’s at! Try this comforting, creamy dish today! Comment below and tell me what you thought about it!