This keto chicken and dumplings recipe is pure lip smackin’ comfort food. Now it’s true that comfort food soothes the soul but it’s not always so smoothing on our bodies (helloooo carbs!) DunDunDun… cue up my low carb recipes (also healthy recipes!) for your low carb dinners!
You know I’d never lead you astray! This keto chicken and dumplings recipe is one of those healthy chicken recipes that makes you say, “Are you SURE this is healthy AND low carb?!”
You’ll be slurping this filling, hearty soup down in no time! Warm-up to this dish when the weather gets cooler! Let’s dive in…
Here’s why this is my favorite go-to soup recipe:
- It’s truly the most soothing, comforting, creamy, cheesy bowl of goodness!
- This recipe yields a TON of servings! (Results will vary based on how much liquid you use but I got 8 servings out of mine!)
- You can make a larger batch and freeze it to eat later when you don’t feel like cooking! I love a ready-made, home-cooked meal that I just have to heat up!
- This recipe is gluten-free, low carb and high in protein.
Here’s the rundown of everything you need to know to make this keto chicken and dumplings recipe:
Chicken – I prefer chicken thighs to breasts as they’re significantly more flavorful!
If you don’t have time to cook the chicken thighs, simply pick up a rotisserie chicken at your grocery store to save time and turn this into rotisserie chicken soup! It couldn’t be any easier!
Veggies – In the recipe below, I like to use a traditional mirepoix (celery, onions, and carrots).
Cauliflower – Traditional chicken and dumplings is high in carbs due to the dough stuffed dumpling, but in this low carb recipe, I nix the carb culprit dumpling and instead use a cauliflower head. I mean, is there anything that cauliflower can’t be used for?!
It is one of my fave substitutes for carb-laden ingredients! And I love the way it soaks up the chicken broth, herbs and spices! Deeeelish!
Tools To Make
Here are the tools you’ll need to simmer up this keto chicken and dumplings recipe: (they’re minimal, which means less dishes to clean up! Hooray!)
- Large saucepan to cook veggies, chicken, herbs and spices
- Cutting board to shred your chicken (you can also just use a plate too!)
If you don’t want to cook this keto chicken and dumplings recipe on your stovetop, try using your Instant Pot to make instant pot chicken soup (another killer IP recipe is my instant pot chicken tortilla soup recipe!) or your crockpot to make crockpot chicken soup!
These tools make life SO much easier when you’re on the go but still want to make a balanced dinner.
Chicken Soup Storing Tips
Like any chicken soup, my keto chicken and dumplings recipe needs to be stored in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze This Healthy Dinner?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze this! It’s also one of my favorite healthy dinners to freeze!
Meal Prepping Tips
I prefer to chop everything up ahead of time so all I have to do is dump the ingredients in as I go through my recipe.
Another great hack is to buy the ready-made mirepoix (two parts onion, one part onion + celery) from the frozen section at your grocery store to save all that time chopping up your veggies! You can also buy a rotisserie chicken to save time cooking a raw one!
You know that my recipes always allow for variations, check out the ones below to jazz up this dish even more!
Save Your Favorite Recipes!Create an account and save all your favorite recipes for easy access!
How Can I Make This Healthier?
Want to make this keto chicken and dumplings recipe even healthier? Try adding some fresh ginger or turmeric, make (or buy) bone broth instead of store-bought chicken broth or Better Than Bouillon.
I love to use the fast chicken stock options from the grocery store, but the fresh stuff is next level and the flavor difference is out of this world!
You can also add whatever veggies you’re craving for an ultra-healthy chicken vegetable soup. Think, chicken Florentine soup, chicken broccoli soup, whatever you’re craving!
Can I Make This Spicy?
You can absolutely turn up the heat to make this soup spicier by adding jalapenos, poblano peppers, serrano peppers, habanero peppers, etc. Toss in your favorite peppers to get your heart pulsing and your taste buds singing!
Want more soup options with a kick?!? Try my Chicken Fajita Soup, Buffalo Chicken Soup or Chicken Enchilada Soup. You WILL be feeling the heat!
How Can I Make This More Creamy?
Want this soup even creamier? Add more heavy whipping cream or cream cheese to taste.
You can also use sour cream or Greek yogurt too if that’s all you have on hand! Use what you have to make this creamy, dreamy soup!
Hooked on the creamy soup train? I feel you. Here are some of my top 3 faves for rich, creamy soups: coconut chicken soup, Thai chicken soup or creamy chicken soup.
How Can I Make This Soup More Low Carb?
To make this keto chicken and dumplings recipe with even less carbs, simply use less onions, carrots or cauliflower in the soup and VOILA! Less carbs! Nothing to it!
I also make a killer low carb chicken soup that you should def make if you are counting carbs! Once fall hits and it starts to get colder, low carb chicken recipes are my JAM.
What could be better and more warming than low carb soup next to the fire?!
Can I Add Noodles Or Grains?
Want the comfort of noodles or grains without the carb intake? Try using any of these low carb alternatives that make regular pasta a thing of the past!
- Shirataki noodles (Japanese noodles that have zero calories AND are also carb free!?! Say no more and load them up on my plates!)
- Lentil pasta (it’s high in protein, fiber, gluten-free!)
- Spaghetti squash (Here’s some great tips on how to cook this little gourd! It is not as intimidating as you may think!)
- Zoodles (zucchini noodles)
- Cabbage noodles: Packed with good for you nutrients!
- Sprouts: Improves digestion & blood sugar levels!
- Seaweed pasta: Low in calories and carbs, I’ll take it!
Want more ideas with international flavors?!? Try my Greek lemon chicken soup or my Chinese chicken soup! Mmmmm! They’re outta this world!
Keto Chicken and Dumplings
- 3 Pounds Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless
- 4 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil divided
- 1 Large Onion chopped, yellow
- 2 Celery Ribs sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1/2 Teaspoons Thyme fresh, leaves only
- 1/4 Cup Sherry dry
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Teaspoons Better than Bouillon Chicken Flavor
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 Carrots peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 3 Tablespoons Parsley fresh, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese or low carb Greek yogurt
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add chicken thighs (in batches) to brown both sides of the chicken.
- Remove cooked chicken to a plate on the side, and continue cooking remaining pieces.
- Add remaining oil to the saucepan and lower the heat to medium.
- Once oil begins to shimmer, add onion, and celery until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add sherry and stir, loosening the brown bits at the bottom of your saucepan.
- Add the chicken broth, Better Than Bouillon, pepper, carrots, bay leaves and the browned chicken + accumulating juices on the plate.
- Cook uncovered for 1 hours, or until the chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, cut your cauliflower into dumpling sized florets.
- Add them to your soup after it has cooked for 1 hour. Then, continue to cook the soup uncovered for 1 more hours.
- Remove chicken from saucepan and place on a cutting board.
- Once cooled, shred the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Remove bay leaves and any fat that is floating in the soup.
- Add chicken back to the saucepan along with the parsley, heavy whipping cream and cream cheese.
- Stir together to combine until cream cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and divvy into bowls. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Are you a healthy soup nut like me?!? Try these healthy soup recipes to curb your cravings:
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Chicken Curry Soup
- Low Carb Beef Stew
- Lettuce Soup
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
This keto chicken and dumplings recipe is where it’s at! Try this comforting, creamy dish today! Comment below and tell me what you thought about it!