Oh. My. Word! Low carb taco soup is so friggin’ delicious, you won’t believe how ridiculously easy it is to make!
Seriously guys, no matter how lazy I’m feeling, I’m always down to whip up this recipe. It’s one of those dump, simmer, and eat kinda low carb meals, and you know I just love those! Jam-packed with the most flavorful low carb shopping list items, you’ll be stoked to eat it meal after meal!
Get that saucepan ready and let’s make some low carb taco soup!
As you guys know, traditional taco soup is loaded with carb-heavy beans and corn — and trust me crew, they’re not welcome anymore with all the juicy flavor-packed ingredients we’ll be using today.
How to Make Low Carb Taco Soup
Low carb Mexican food is chock-full of the tastiest low carb foods that our sweet mother nature has to offer. It should come as no surprise that this low carb taco soup is loaded with zesty deliciousness!
It comes together in a snap! There are just a few tips to follow in order to pack as much of a flavor punch as possible. Here we go:
Sauté our low carb vegetables.
Sautéing the keto vegetables before adding in the rest of the ingredients will help to enhance their flavors and release excess liquid. It’s one step I never skip when making low carb taco soup!
Start with your onions, bell peppers and jalapeños, since these take longer to reduce. We’ll add the garlic in at the end, as it only takes a minute or two to cook.
Pssst- if you’d like to shave off some carbs, consider using less onion (this is one of the highest carb ingredients in this low carb taco soup). If you’d like your soup to be spicier, add another jalapeno (or 2… I’m not judging).
Once your veggies are sautéed (usually takes about 12 minutes), dump the rest of the low carb taco soup ingredients ino the pot. Presto!
Seriously. It’s that easy.
Simmering the low carb taco soup:
Since we aren’t using flour or cornstarch in this low taco soup, which is often added to traditional soups as a way to thicken the broth, we’ll thicken it by reducing the liquid over a gentle simmer.
Reducing low carb taco soup uncovered allows extra liquid to evaporate as we cook, which thickens the soup beautifully. You can reduce your low carb taco soup as long as you’d like to get the consistency you’re craving.
FYI- In case you’re wondering, low carb flour doesn’t thicken soups the same as wheat flour. It’s a bummer, I know.
It’s hard to say exactly how long for which you should reduce your low carb taco soup, since everyone’s pot, stove, and definition of simmer vary. I reduce mine in a thick core saucepan at a steady simmer for 30 minutes until I reach the delicious low carb taco soup consistency that makes my stomach rumble.
Final Step: Add your toppings.
It’s that easy! Now dip in that ladle, sprinkle it with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Save Your Favorite Recipes!Create an account and save all your favorite recipes for easy access!
keto taco soup Topping Suggestions
There are so many keto foods with which to top your keto taco soup. So many in fact, you can serve it a different way each and every day of the week!
Here are some low carb foods I use as toppings:
- Cheese: pepper jack and cheddar are delicious!
- Sour cream, or low carb Greek yogurt
- Cheese crisps
Reheating Low Carb Chicken Soup
Reheating this low carb chicken soup is totally effortless!
In the microwave: Ladle a portion of your low carb taco soup into a microwave safe bowl and cover with a paper towel. Microwave using 30 to 45 second intervals until your soup reaches the desired, steamy temperature.
Over the stove: Add your low carb taco soup to a small saucepan and cover. Heat on low until soup reaches your desired temperature. If your soup starts getting thicker than you’d like, whisk some chicken broth into the mix.
Freezing Low Carb Soup
This low carb soup is a perfect candidate for low carb meal prep. You can easily make a double batch and freeze a bunch for low carb dinners and low carb lunches to come!
I’ll often freeze individual containers of this low carb taco soup and label them with the date before placing them in the freezer.
If you plan to freeze this low carb taco soup, be sure to leave plenty of space at the top of your container, since liquids expand as they freeze. Trust me, you don’t want to decorate your freezer in the colors of low carb taco soup!
What to Serve With This Keto Soup
Pick side dishes for this keto soup based on what meal you’re cooking for!
For lunches, I usually serve it with:
- Low Carb Salads
- Sliced Low Carb Vegetables
- Easy Low Carb Side Dishes
Low carb dinners in our house are heartier meals than our lunches, so I’ll often serve up a hot bowl with:
- Low Carb Tortillas and cheese
- Keto Salads
- Low Carb Bread
Low Carb Taco Soup Recipe
All right my friends, there you have it. My super tasty and ridiculously easy low carb taco soup recipe! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do, and please, let me know what you think in the comments below!
Low Carb Taco Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper ribbed/seeds removed, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno ribbed/seeds removed, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Low Carb Taco Seasoning* or taco seasoning without added sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano fresh
- 1 14.5 Oz Can Petite Diced Tomatoes With The Juice
- 1 16 Ounce Jar Salsa With The Juice
- 2 14.5 Oz Cans Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Chicken cooked + shredded
- Pepper Jack or Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Avocado
- Cilantro chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat vegetable oil until shimmering.
- Add the chopped onion, red pepper and jalapeno until softened — about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to saute for about 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add all ingredients except chicken and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently and uncovered for 30-40 minutes.
- Once the soup has reached your desired consistency, add the chicken and continue to simmer until it’s heated throughout.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls and top with suggested toppings. Enjoy!
- *I have trouble finding low carb taco seasoning at the store, so I often make my own! If you’d rather purchase it, read the label to be sure no sugar, cornstarch or flour have been added.
- Nutritional Information: based on 1 bowl if you were to divide this recipe into 8 bowls of soup — this will vary as everyone cooks the liquid out of the soup more or less.
- Nutritional information doesn’t include toppings.
- To save carbs: I like the flavor of this soup as is, but if you’d like the shave off some carbs, consider using less onion, or swapping the diced tomatoes with chicken broth.
©Little Pine Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website/blod is strictly prohibited.
More low carb soups
Can’t get enough soup? Me neither, and although this low carb taco soup is one of the easiest out there, I have a bunch of recipes you may want to check out. Visit this page to see all my low carb soups!