This low carb taco soup recipe is one of the most AMAZING taco recipes the whole family will loveee!
Making low carb dinners doesn’t have to be a chore. With low carb soup like this one, you’ll have a hard time not devouring your food! Full of veggies and delicious seasoning, it’ll be a miracle if you have any leftovers…
I love filling soups because they’re such an easy lunch or dinner. Not only is this low carb taco soup recipe super satisfying, it’s also perfect for low carb recipes to meal prep.
Follow along to make this zesty soup!
Flavorful and healthy, this low carb taco soup recipe will zap your hunger in a pinch! What I love about this recipe is that:
- Suuuper delicious and comforting!!
- It can easily be doubled for meal prep
- You can freeze it
- The toppings are fun and customizable!
To keep healthy chicken recipes low carb, I don’t include the usual carb-heavy beans and corn. I also skip using flour or cornstarch to thicken the soup and instead simmer it to achieve the perfect consistency!
You’ll want to reduce this low carb taco soup recipe uncovered, as this allows the liquid to evaporate and thicken. I use a thick core saucepan to gently simmer for about 30 minutes, but the exact time will depend on your pot, stove, and desired consistency.
This low carb taco soup recipe has plenty of vegetables, protein and flavor to get your fill! Here’s what you need to know about each:
Vegetables – It’s important to sautee the onion, bell pepper, jalapeños, and garlic in order to get the most flavor and release excess liquid.
Start with just the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeños because they take longer to cook. If you want to reduce the carbs further from this recipe, you can use less onions or tomatoes.
Taco Seasoning – Feel free to make your own or use store-bought — But if you choose store-bought, make sure to read the label and avoid those with sugar, cornstarch, or flour.
Chicken – Use leftover chicken or whatever pre-cooked chicken you have easily accessible. Rotisserie chicken is an AWESOME flavor upgrade your Mexican chicken!
Topping – These ingredients are completely optional (but highly recommended!). The flavor combo you pick is up to your own taste buds… Some incredible low carb options are:
- Pepper Jack or cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
Tools To Make
This low carb taco soup recipe is similar to low carb soup recipes slow cooker because it takes minimal effort to create a moist, flavorful low carb chicken recipes (except you don’t need a fancy slow cooker to achieve the results here!).
What you’ll need for this one pot soup is:
- A large pot to sautee the vegetables and simmer the soup
- A ladle and bowls to serve in
Let the soup cool completely before transferring it into an airtight container and sticking it in the fridge! Easy peasy!
Can You Freeze This?
I love freezing soups for long term meal preps! I’ll often double this recipe and freeze the soup in individual containers labeled with the date and recipe.
Use a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag, and make sure to leave plenty of room at the top since liquids will expand when frozen (you don’t want a taco mess in your freezer!). Now you’ll always have a nutritious meal on hand!
Meal Prepping Tips
You can either refrigerate or freeze this low carb taco soup recipe to prepare a week’s worth of healthy dinner ideas. I suggest having a variety of toppings and side dishes to keep things interesting!
A few yummy side dishes to serve with taco soup are:
Soup is a very customizable food, so here are some ideas for mixing things up:
- Feel free to add some leafy low carb vegetables like spinach to your sautee! It’ll add an extra healthy boost to your soup. Chopped cabbage is also a delicious addition. Low carb vegetable soup is also amazing for adding that extra serving of veggies.
- Make the soup spicier, add an extra jalapeño or two! You can also make something more like a low carb chili by playing with the taco seasoning and adding more chili powder or paprika.
- For a soup that’s not necessarily spicy but is spiced, I’d recommend adding extra cumin, maybe even curry powder (check out the spices in this curried butternut squash soup to get an idea).
- Make this low carb taco soup creamy, simply stir in some cream cheese toward the end. You can also add some veggies to the broth, then puree them before adding in the other ingredients — this is a great vegetarian way to create a creamy texture. Think butternut squash soup, summer squash soup or pumpkin soup.
For easy and plentiful meals, check out these other low carb soup recipes:
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Rotisserie Chicken Soup
- Thai Chicken Soup
- Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Low Carb Chicken Soup
Low Carb Taco SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper ribbed/seeds removed, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno ribbed/seeds removed, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Low Carb Taco Seasoning* or taco seasoning without added sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano fresh
- 1 14.5 Oz Can Petite Diced Tomatoes With The Juice
- 1 16 Ounce Jar Salsa With The Juice
- 2 14.5 Oz Cans Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Chicken cooked + shredded
- Pepper Jack or Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat vegetable oil (2 tablespoons) until shimmering.
- Add yellow onion (1 chopped), red bell pepper (1 chopped) and jalapeno (1 minced) until softened — about 7 minutes.
- Add minced garlic (1 tablespoon) and continue to saute for about 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add all ingredients except chicken and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently and uncovered for 30-40 minutes.
- Once the soup has reached your desired consistency, add the chicken (2 cups cooked + shredded) and continue to simmer until it’s heated throughout.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls and top with suggested toppings. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Avocados. Go for haas! They’re higher in fat, creamier and WAY more delicious than regular (sorry Florida 😘).
- Mild Tasting Oil. You want an oil with a high smoke point and mild flavor -- think avocado, vegetable, safflower, sunflower, peanut. Skip EVOO, coconut, or sesame oil.
- I have trouble finding low carb taco seasoning at the store, so I often make my own! If you’d rather purchase it, read the label to be sure no sugar, cornstarch or flour have been added.
- To save carbs: I like the flavor of this soup as is, but if you’d like the shave off some carbs, consider using less onion, or swapping the diced tomatoes with chicken broth.
- Nutritional Information: based on 1 bowl if you were to divide this recipe into 8 bowls of soup and it doesn't include toppings — this will vary as everyone cooks the liquid out of the soup more or less: