This chicken curry soup recipe is SO comforting and delicious.
Definitely one of my favorite low carb chicken recipes, you’ll be blown away by this dish! Made with plenty of healthy veggies and a mouthwatering assortment of spices, this low carb soup tastes absolutely divine!
This low carb recipes ready in under an hour, and is super convenient for easy low carb dinners — now, don’t let the fact that it’s low carb scare you away, because this soup delivers incredibly bold curry flavors just the same!
Don’t believe me?! Well, there’s only one way to find out…
It’s always fun to shake things up with a new recipe. And this chicken curry soup recipe is no exception! It’s amazing because:
- It’s a great source of protein
- There’s so many healthy nutrients
- It takes less than an hour
- The flavors are so deep and rich!
Trust me, you’ll find it hard to stop yourself at just one bowl of Thai chicken curry soup.
Follow along with my recipe notes for some additional tips to make your soup even yummier!
Chicken – I use 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for my chicken curry. When cooking the chicken, try to avoid overcrowding the pot. I usually cook the meat in batches to make sure all of it gets evenly cooked.
You can use other types of chicken if you want, like chicken thighs or even shredded rotisserie chicken. (If you want to turn this into rotisserie chicken soup, just toss the chicken in towards the end!)
Depending on how thick you want your soup to be, you can use more or less chicken broth than the recipe calls for. Just make sure the chicken is fully covered in liquid so that it can finish cooking.
Coconut Milk – Coconut is not only delicious, it’s suuuper healthy, AND dairy free!
Make sure to use full fat coconut milk for the most phenomenal Thai chicken coconut curry soup!
Low Carb Veggies – How can this not be healthy when it’s jam-packed with veggies like onion, bell pepper, and broccoli?! When sauteing the onion and bell pepper, try to avoid overcrowding the pot. If needed, cook in batches as well.
Tools To Make
I love this chicken curry soup recipe because it’s SO easy to make! All you need is:
- A large heavy bottom pot…
And you’ll be eating delicious soup in no time!
You can also adjust the recipe to make a crockpot chicken soup if you’d like, however, I prefer turning this into instant pot chicken soup because of the saute feature.
To do this, saute the chicken + veggies (per instructions below). Then add all the ingredients (except Greek yogurt and cilantro), seal the lid, and cook on “high pressure” for 20 minutes.
Once cooked, “vent” the instant pot, and when safe to remove the lid, do so. Then stir in the Greek yogurt, cilantro, and enjoy!
Store leftover chicken soup in the fridge in an airtight container. To serve, reheat it on the stove or in the microwave and add the toppings!
Can You Freeze This?
You can make this soup ahead of time and freeze it for longevity! Just allow the soup to cool completely and pour it into a freezer safe container or baggie. Make sure to leave a bit of room at the top (liquids will expand when frozen), then freeze!
I love freezing this chicken curry soup recipe because it means I have a hearty meal ready for me in minutes!
Meal Prepping Tips
Cooking this chicken curry soup recipe ahead of time is wonderful for making sure you always have healthy dinners on hand!
If you’re feeding an entire family, it makes sense to store or freeze the soup as one large unit.
But if you’d like more flexibility, I recommend freezing the soup in individual serving sizes. I like to place a freezer bag inside a cup, then ladle the soup on in! (Makes a messy job less messy).
This chicken curry soup recipe is delightful as is, but of course, there’s always room for customization!
- Add more low carb vegetables! For example, add some spinach and tomatoes for more nutrients and more flavor. Like a chicken florentine soup! And if you decide to add a whole lot of extra veggies like this low carb vegetable soup, simply adjust the amount of broth and spices accordingly!
- Make this spicier. I already have cayenne pepper in the ingredients, but why stop there? Give every spoonful a kick by adding fajita seasoning, like a fiesty chicken fajita soup! Or add a dash of taco seasoning for a sensational low carb taco soup!
- Make this low carb chicken soup creamier. My Thai chicken soup may not be as thick and creamy as you’d like. No problem! Make a creamy chicken soup by reducing the amount of liquid, or adding more Greek yogurt into the mix. (Regular curry soups are served with rice or naan to soak up some of the liquid.)
Chicken Curry SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/4 Cup Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below) divided. I used coconut oil to enhance the coconut flavor, but any veggie oil will do
- 2 Lb Chicken Breasts boneless/skinless. Cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped
- 2 Bell Peppers chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Teaspoons Ginger minced
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1/4-3/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper depending on how spicy you like it. I usually do 1/4 teaspoon -- start there and add more after tasting.
- 1 13.5 Oz Can Coconut Milk full fat
- 2 Cups Broccoli
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth or more if you prefer a “soupier” curry.
- 2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro chopped. I like a combo -- You can use whichever you prefer.
- In a large heavy bottom pot, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Once shimmering, add the chicken and sear each side until golden - this should take about 1 minute on each side. The center of the chicken should still be pink. Be sure not to overcrowd chicken in the pot by cooking the chicken in batches. Place seared chicken on a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, along with your chopped onion and bell pepper. Again, don't overcrowd the pan, I did this in 2 batches. Cook veggies until slightly brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add all the veggies back to your pot, along with the garlic, ginger, and spices.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring to completely coat the veggies in the spices.
- Add broccoli and chicken, along with any juices that accumulated on the plate.
- Add coconut milk, chicken broth, salt, and stir.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20-25 minutes. To test doneness, remove a larger piece of chicken and cut into the center to ensure it’s cooked through and no longer pink.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in Greek yogurt, basil/cilantro. Taste the soup and adjust the spices to your liking.
- Serve over cauliflower rice, with fresh limes, more chopped cilantro and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Here’s some more healthy soup recipes for you to stew up:
- Chinese Chicken Soup – Very wholesome and cozy!
- Low Carb Beef Stew – The best, hearty meal.
- Keto Chicken And Dumplings – It reminds me of home every time!
- Brussel Sprout Soup – Brussel sprouts are such an underrated gem!
- Roasted Tomato Soup – Pair with grilled cheese for a classic duo!
This chicken curry soup recipe is the scrumptious, aromatic soup you’ve been waiting for!
Let me know what you think in the comments below! How did you like the spices? Did you add or swap any vegetables? Enjoy!