Succulently tender chicken tossed in a luscious peanut butter sauce, this Thai peanut butter chicken recipe is our family’s favorite weeknight meal. And it only takes 30 minutes to make!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Thai Peanut Chicken Ingredients
This saucy, flavorpacked dish comes together with a few pantry staples and a handful of fresh herbs. Here’s what you’ll need to make peanut butter chicken:
- The peanut sauce comes together with a bit of creamy PB, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and coconut milk.
- The chicken – I love chicken breast here, but you can use thighs as well.
- The veggies – broccoli works so well here, but feel free to mix in your faves instead. Think bell peppers, spinach, or even mushrooms.
- The toppings – fresh cilantro, green onions, and peanuts are amazing, although you can add whatever you prefer here.
Peanut Sauce Tweaks
Want to adjust the peanut sauce? Here are a few ways to do so:
- Almond butter – it won’t have the traditional “peanut” taste, but if you’re eating paleo or just prefer almonds, it’ll work!
- Speaking of paleo – you’ll also want to swap soy sauce for coconut aminos!
- Add some heat by sprinkling in some extra cayenne pepper. You can also use a fresh pepper or 2.
How to Make Peanut Butter Chicken
Not much to it! This peanut butter chicken comes together in a few minutes, with hardly any prep:
1 – Mix sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
2 – Sear chicken on each side until golden.
3 – Add the garlic and ginger until fragrant.
4 – Add vegetables, sauce, and green onions to the peanut butter chicken.
5 – Add remaining sauce ingredients, and stir to combine.
Storing, Reheating, and Freezing Tips
If you happen to have any leftovers, which we only do if we double (or even triple!) the batch, here’s how to make the most of them.
- Store: Leftovers in an airtight container. Be sure to stash additional rice, cilantro, and peanuts on the side dish before serving.
- Reheat in the microwave with a damp paper towel on top.
- Freeze in an airtight container. I like doing this in a resealable bag with as much air removed as possible, with leftover peanut butter chicken that has been stored in the fridge first to fully cool.
More Weeknight Chicken Recipes
Peanut Butter ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger minced
- 2 cups broccoli florets cut into even sized pieces
- 3/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts chopped
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, peanut butter, white wine vinegar, cayenne pepper, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Sear chicken in batches, until golden on each side, about 2 minutes per side (it won't be cooked through the center). Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic and ginger. Continue to cook for another minute, until they're fragrant.
- Add the broccoli, green onions, peanuts, and soy sauce/peanut butter sauce.
- Add the coconut milk and cilantro, and stir to combine. Continue to simmer until the broccoli is tender and the chicken has cooked through entirely, about 5 minutes.
- Dish with additional cilantro, peanuts, and green onions, over cauliflower rice or rice. Enjoy!