When a dreary winter’s day sparks hunger that strikes deep in the pit of your stomach, only a big hearty bowl of rotisserie chicken soup will do. It’s got a deep rich flavor profile that rivals some of the best low carb chicken recipes.
Rotisserie chicken soup is one of my favorite low carb soup recipes for crafting some cozy family comfort food. It’s full of fragrant herbs and nutritious veggies swimming in a warm salty base that injects some vibrant life into low carb recipes.
Chicken soup will never be the same again! Check it out!
I love that this rotisserie chicken soup recipe is so easy to make, and it still checks all the delicious boxes! It’s super nutritious, incredibly tasty and full of beautiful vibrant colors.
Here are some other great reasons to love it!
- Full of nutritious veggies and bright beautiful colors
- Lots of protein satisfies the heartiest appetites
- This versatile recipe is easy to prepare and tweak
- Makes a fantastic meal or add-on dish
Making this rotisserie chicken soup recipe is really simple — starting with rotisserie chicken just makes it come together that much faster.
Here are a few tips to help ensure massive flavor for the tastiest chicken soup of the season:
- You’ll definitely want to sauté your veggies. I know it’s all going into the same pot but sautéing veggies brings out their mellow flavors and combats bitterness.
- Also, give your herbs a quick sauté to perk them up a bit. It helps bring out their deeper aromatic flavors for a more robust chicken soup. This one step makes a big difference in the finished product.
Crafting this awesome rotisserie chicken soup recipe starts with – wait for it – Rotisserie chicken! You’ll also want a few choice veggies and some herbs. Here’s what it takes!
Chicken – Using rotisserie chicken for this recipe gives you all the yummy spices plus the convenience of picking up a cooked chicken! All you’ve got to do is pull it off the bone and shred it.
Veggies – A tasty combination of onion, garlic, carrots and kale add full-flavored texture and a healthy kick.
Herbs – A blend of sage and thyme infuse the aromatic flavors you’re looking for in a rich salty chicken soup.
Citrus – Adding a pop of lemon gives this rotisserie chicken soup recipe a refreshing twist for a flavor that’s rich and fresh and clean.
Base – Using chicken broth gives this rotisserie chicken soup recipe a rich flavorful base since we didn’t have to boil the chicken.
Tools To Make
You can make this rotisserie chicken soup slow cooker style if you’ve got a busy day ahead, but it does just fine on the stove top. If you go with crockpot chicken soup, don’t forget to sauté the veggies before tossing them in.
You can also go with instant pot chicken soup if you’re short on time.
Otherwise here’s what you need!
- Heavy-bottomed pot (they help distribute heat more evenly)
- Wooden spoon for stirring.
- A good knife for chopping
- A fork to shred the chicken.
See? Easy peesy!
Storing your rotisserie chicken soup is super easy!
It’ll stay fresh and yummy in an airtight container with a secure lid. When the weather is cold out I like to divvy up my leftovers into small mason jars that I can take with me on the fly!
Can You Freeze This?
You sure can. I usually try to freeze mine flat, so it stores more easily.
You can also put freezer bags in single-serve containers and pour the soup in. Let it harden, seal the bags and pull the containers out of the freezer. Voila! You’ve got ready-made easy-to-store rotisserie chicken soup for low carb dinners.
Meal Prepping Tips
Rotisserie chicken soup makes some of the best healthy dinner ideas and there isn’t a ton of prep involved. You can please generational palates without spending all day in the kitchen.
Of course, you can always go the freezer route and dinner can be ready in a flash!
One of the best things about this rotisserie chicken soup recipe is its versatility. Here are some easy healthy recipes options:
How Can I Make This Healthier?
Add more veggies! Or swap the veggies in this chicken vegetable soup to suit your cravings for healthy chicken recipes you’ll never get tired of!
Here are some easy swaps you may prefer:
- Substitute spinach for the kale and make chicken Florentine soup
- Stir in some broccoli, cauliflower, or squash!
- Skip the carrots to save some carbs
- Or, add potatoes/sweet potatoes if you aren’t watching your carbs
Can I Make This Spicy?
Totally! Stir in your favorite spicing addition — jalapenos, cayenne pepper, tabasco. Your soup, your rules!
OR, if you want to take your rotisserie chicken soup in a totally different direction, check out my chicken taco soup, chicken fajita soup or chicken enchilada soup instead.
How Can I Make This Creamy?
You can easily turn this rotisserie chicken soup recipe into creamy chicken soup by adding some cream cheese, heavy cream and maybe a little cheese. It’ll have a rich decadent flavor.
Looking for a dairy-free way to make soups creamy? Try full-fat coconut milk for a coconut chicken soup! (Check out my Thai chicken soup if this sounds like what you’re craving!)
How Can I Make This Soup More Low Carb?
Here’s the deal with this rotisserie chicken soup: there are a LOT of veggies. And as those of you looking for low carb soup recipes know, veggies contain carbs.
The veggies that add the most carbs to our recipe are: carrots, onion, and kale.
SO, if you want to turn this into a low carb chicken soup to add to your low carb chicken recipes index, cut down on, leave out and swap these veggies based on what works best for your meal plan!
How Can I Add Noodles Or Grains?
Totally! This soup would taste delicious with cooked rice or orzo pasta mixed in (ala Greek lemon chicken soup). Or rice noodles (similar to Chinese chicken soup).
Rotisserie Chicken SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups Onion chopped (about 1 onion)
- 2 Cups Carrot peeled + chopped (about 3 large carrots)
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon Sage chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 8 Cups Chicken Broth (32 ounces)
- 8 Cups Kale chopped
- 2 Lemons juiced
- 1 Peel of Lemon zested
- Parmesan freshly grated
- Parmesan Crisps
- Remove/discard skin, bones, and cartilage from the chicken. Shred the meat, and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottom pot over medium heat.
- Once shimmering, add onions and carrots. Saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, kale, chicken, lemon juice and lemon zest and stir to combine.
- Bring soup to an aggressive simmer, and cook until kale is wilted to your liking and the soup is heated through.
- Taste seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan and enjoy!
Making healthy soup recipes gives you plenty of cold-weather options and they’re great for meal prep too. Here are some other healthy soup recipes you may enjoy:
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup – Succulent chicken and fragrant herbs with a Mexican twist.
- Keto Chicken And Dumplings – Oh yeah, you heard me and you’ll be glad you did.
- Chicken Curry Soup – Comforting, delicious and ready in half an hour!
- Buffalo Chicken Soup – A spicy rendition of the hometown classic.
- Low Carb Beef Stew – A hearty meal in a bowl (minus the carbs).
This rotisserie chicken soup will redefine your relationship with chicken soup. It’s one of those awesome low carb recipes for that friendly fowl we love so much.
Its economical, convenient and full-flavored with lots of different options. Making it with rotisserie chicken gives it all those herbaceous flavors that help bring it to life while keeping it low carb. You are gonna’ love this!