This low carb chicken parmesan is the IDEAL Sunday night recipe for low carb dinners.
It’s got a delectable crisp crust covered in an herbaceous sauce and topped with melted cheese, need I say more?! It’s one of those low carb recipes that is just as great as the traditional version.
Bonus points? It’s baked! Less work for you with the same great texture and flavor.
Serve this low carb chicken recipes flavor-packed deliciousness alongside some low carb pasta for a meal you’ll want to keep in heavy rotation!
So many reasons to love this low carb chicken parmesan, including:
- It doesn’t taste like “healthy food”, so the whole family actually loves it!
- Warm, comforting, and full of classic Italian flavors.
- Thanks to our “breading” (more on this below), we don’t have to fry the chicken, a simple bake in the oven will achieve the same results!
- An actually delicious way to eat chicken. Let me be honest, I don’t love chicken. So finding recipes like this that remind me it can actually be delicious are a double win!
Shockingly easy, but ridiculously delicious, here’s what you need to know about this low carb chicken parmesan recipe:
This recipe calls for a few kitchen classics. Check out notes below to ensure what you’re using is truly low carb:
Pork rinds – Trust me with this ingredient — I used to avoid pork rinds at all costs until I realized they’re the PERFECT bread crumb substitute and they’re actually SUPER delicious!
In fact, my husband and I did a side by side test for this recipe…
We made traditional chicken parmesan (using panko and flour), and the recipe shared below (using pork rinds). We covered them both in the same sauce and melted cheese on top. Guess what our taste testers preferred? No one could taste the difference. So why waste the carbs??
If you’re reluctant to use pork rinds, give ’em a shot. I think you’ll be surprised!
Low carb spaghetti sauce – Most spaghetti sauce recipes are loaded with added sugar, so check the label before purchasing a product.
OR! Make my spaghetti sauce recipe! It freezes perfectly so you can make a big batch and save it for Italian recipes to come.
Low carb cheese – We’ll be using a combo of parmesan, mozzarella, and provolone for this low carb chicken parmesan. If you want to save money on cheese, skip provolone and use more mozzarella.
Tools To Make
Low carb chicken parmesan is just minutes away! Here’s what you’ll need to make it happen:
- 2 zip-lock baggies – to thin out the chicken and form the breadcrumbs.
- Mallet – to thin out the chicken.
- 2 shallow bowls – one for the breading, one for the eggs.
- Baking sheet – to bake the chicken.
Can You Freeze This?
YES! I like to freeze the breaded chicken and sauce separately to maintain the chicken’s crisp crust.
I do this by baking the chicken without the sauce and cheese, then freezing the baked chicken in a large resealable bag, with parchment paper between each piece.
You can get as creative as you’d like with this low carb chicken parmesan recipe, here are a few ways to spice things up:
- Stuff your chicken with cheese. If you love cheese as much as I do, this one’s for you! Check out my stuffed chicken parmesan or my mozzarella stuffed chicken for some tips and tricks.
- Switch up the sauce — your favorite pesto recipe, low carb alfredo sauce, whatever you’re craving!
- Make a vegetarian version using zucchini or eggplant (ala low carb eggplant parmesan).
- Skip the breading, and simply melt cheese on top! Similar to chicken caprese.
Low Carb Chicken ParmesanPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Preheat an oven to 450 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chicken breasts in a large, resealable baggie on a level surface.
- Use a meat mallet to pound chicken with the smooth side, until the breasts are an even 1/2" thick.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Place pork rinds in a large resealable bag, seal, and pound until pork rinds crumble into a small breadcrumb-like size (think panko sized "crumbs").
- Add pork rinds to a large shallow bowl, and combine with 1/2 cup of Parmesan.
- In a second large shallow bowl, beat eggs.
- Dip each breast into the eggs, then the pork rinds. Press the pork rinds into the surface of the breast so it adheres.
- Lay each breast onto the prepared baking sheet, and repeat until you've done this for all the chicken.
- Cover the breasts with even amounts of spaghetti sauce, mozzarella, and provolone cheese. Finish the breasts with parmesan cheese.
- Bake your chicken parmesan in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, use a meat thermometer to ensure their internal temp has reached 165 F.
- Wait 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with fresh basil, and enjoy!
Chicken is a family favorite for a reason, and these recipes are all here to show you why it’s great in low carb form:
- Low Carb Fried Chicken. Can you guess what our breading is made of?
- Chicken Crust Pizza. You read that right — protein-packed PIZZA!
- Low Carb Chicken Salad. No need for carbs here.
- Low Carb Chicken Stir Fry. Stir fry sauces are usually loaded in sugar, but this one isn’t.
- Low Carb Chicken Soup. Good for the soul!
I hope you find this low carb chicken parmesan recipe as delicious and comforting as we do.
Let me know what you think in the comments below. Bon appetit!