But ONE bite of this silky, garlicky dish, and you’ll wonder why people even bother with anything other than healthy recipes like this one!
Low carb cauliflower recipes don’t just hide their ingredients, they elevate and highlight them! You’re going to fall in love with this creamy, luscious side dish that’ll have you working backward to find low carb recipes to serve it with.
I can’t wait for you to try it – let’s start!
This mashed cauliflower recipe is kind of a wunderkind, making a grown-up version of the old stand-by, plus:
- 5 ingredients plus some spices!
- Ready in under half an hour! Time your cooking, this might get done before your entree!
- An astoundingly delicious and healthy twist on a classic favorite!
Move over mashed potatoes – this mashed cauliflower recipe is the new reigning champion! Seriously, this dish is a must-try!
I LOVE cauliflower recipes – this superfood is so versatile and tasty!
Cauliflower – Since the cauliflower puree is the main star of this recipe, choose a good veggie. Pick a head that’s very pale in color with no dark or soft spots.
To cut the cauliflower, cut it in half, then in half again. Run your knife between the florets and the main stem to get all the smaller florets out.
Cream cheese – This soft cheese is basically the curds in the “curds and whey” Little Miss Muffet is forever trying to eat. It’s soft, a little tangy, and high in fat (in a good way!) that makes this mashed cauliflower recipe super smooth.
Tools To Make
- Steamer basket – this flower looking tool goes inside a pot to elevate veggies out of the water. This allows them to be heated through with steam, not boiling, preserving 50% more nutrients than cooking in the water. And superfoods like cauliflower have a lot to offer antioxidant wise!
- Immersion Blender – this stick blender is going to make pureeing your cauliflower to the desired consistency a breeze. You can also use a food processor, but these nifty immersion blenders are a lot easier cleanup and let you really customize the texture.
This mashed cauliflower recipe has a lot of milk products, so make sure to store in the fridge in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave, oven or on the stove.
Can You Freeze This?
Once this mashed cauliflower recipe is creamed to the desired texture, you can freeze it right away to have ready whenever you need it. Simply store it in an airtight container in the freezer, then thaw in the fridge. Reheat on the stovetop, in the microwave or in the oven.
This smooth mashed cauliflower recipe is just begging for some low carb gravy! Serve that alongside all your holiday favorites (cauliflower stuffing, salads, etc.) and it’s time to party!
Looking to add your own healthy recipes twist to this re-envisioned classic? Read on!
Can I Make This EVEN Creamier?
Yes. This recipe is for mashed cauliflower with cream cheese AND sour cream, but, if you find that after mashing your ingredients together and giving it a taste, you’d like it to be even creamier, then by all means…
Add an extra dollop of cream cheese.
Can I Make This Dairy Free?
Absolutely. Sub the cream cheese and sour cream for your favorite dairy-free alternatives and you’ve got a mashed cauliflower vegan eaters will love!
I LOVE full fat coconut milk for a similar creamy texture.
Can I Use Different Types Of Cauliflower?
This recipe can absolutely be made using cauliflower rice or a head of cauliflower, just weigh whatever you select before mixing in the other ingredients for best results.
What Other Veggies Can I Add?
You could add in some pureed zucchini with the cauliflower for vitamin-packed combo that’ll be silky or delicious. Plus, this mashed cauliflower recipe makes an amazing backdrop for other, crunchier sides like smashed brussel sprouts or roasted butternut squash.
And don’t forget the classic favorite, creamy low carb green bean casserole!
Mashed CauliflowerPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Pounds Cauliflower Florets 1 head of cauliflower is typically around 1 1/2 pounds of florets. Weigh for best results.
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Chives chopped
- Steam cauliflower. I do this in a large pot with 1" of water and a steamer basket (cauliflower goes in the basket). Then cover with a lid and steam until fork tender (about 25 minutes). Alternatively, you can do this in the microwave or without the steamer basket in a heavy bottom pot.
- Remove steamer basket and water from the pot.
- Melt butter in pot over medium-high heat.
- Once melted, add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add cauliflower, cream cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Use an immersion blender to combine the ingredients until smooth. Alternatively, you can puree ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender*.
- Stir in chives.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference. I usually add an additional teaspoon of salt.
- Serve with additional butter and chives. Enjoy!
This mashed cauliflower recipe is about to make your low carb thanksgiving dreams a reality! Looking for other delicious holiday recipes? I’ve got you covered!
I know this mashed cauliflower recipe is the surprising side dish everyone is going to be raving about at the holiday parties this year. Comment below – do you separate out your mash from the other foods, or eat it all together??