I love a rice dish—and this Mexican cauliflower rice is hands-down my favorite go-to for grilled goodies and fajita nights. It’s simple, saucy, and serves up flavor worthy of your main course.
I mean it—I really, really love a rice dish. If you do too—cook up some keto side dishes like my cauliflower fried rice, cauliflower rice casserole, or cauliflower risotto. There’s nothing cauliflower can’t do.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
Saucy Side Dish
There’s so much flavor—and it comes together so easily—you’ll be pairing this dish with your favorite dinners all year long. When I crave comfort carbs—I will choose rice over bread and pasta any day. I think it’s the Lebanese in me.
So I take it seriously when I say that you won’t miss the grains. Cauliflower is capable of incredible texture and it really absorbs all the different spices. It also makes great leftovers—if there are any.
Taco Tuesday? Firing up the Grill? Fixin’ Fajitas?
Make Mexican Cauliflower Rice. And enjoy! – Linds x
- Oil – you want something with a high smoke point that’s mild in flavor. Avocado oil is my favorite, but vegetable oil will also do.
- White onion
- Spices – oregano, garlic powder, cumin, and salt. Feel free to add in your Mexican rice faves, think chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- Tomato paste – I prefer paste to Mexican cauliflower rice with tomato sauce, as the added liquid will make this dish soggy.
- Chicken broth – feel free to use veggie broth for a vegan alternative.
- Cauliflower rice – I prefer store-bought cauliflower rice, as it has a more consistent grain size, doesn’t dirty a ton of dishes, saves loads of time, and it winds up being about the same cost. You can find this at most grocery stores in the freezer or produce section.
Swaps + Additions…
- Can I use frozen cauliflower rice? Sure can! Reduce the broth by half, and cook until the rice has defrosted and has softened to your liking.
- Can I make my own cauliflower rice? Yes! Grate a head of fresh cauliflower using a box grater. This can also be done in the food processor by pulsing the florets using 1-second intervals. Click here for more detailed instructions.
- How do I make spicy Mexican cauliflower rice keto? Easy! Cayenne pepper is a simple addition, you can also saute a jalapeno along with the onion.
- Can I make Mexican cauliflower rice with chicken? Great idea. Cook and shred the chicken, then stir it in while softening the rice.
- How about Mexican cauliflower rice with black beans or corn? Same as above! Be sure to drain and rinse the corn/black beans before adding them in.
How to Make Mexican Cauliflower
- Saute the onion.
- Toast the spices.
- Add tomato paste and broth, and whisk until smooth.
- Add rice and toss the cauliflower to coat in the sauce. Continue to cook until the rice has softened to your liking.
- Add cilantro before serving.
How do you make cauliflower rice not soggy?
The trick is to add a minimal amount of liquid, significantly less than you would a regular rice recipe. You’ll also want to cook the Mexican cauliflower rice recipe until the cauliflower is al dente, not soggy.
What Should I Serve This With?
I love to dish this up doused in cilantro and lime juice, alongside all our healthy Mexican faves, such as:
- Fajitas + veggies
- Instant pot carnitas
- Any grilled protein
More Cauliflower Sides
- Cauliflower Stuffing
- Cauliflower Hummus
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh
- Keto Cauliflower Pizza
- Cheesy Cauliflower Rice
Mexican Cauliflower RicePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 tablespoons avocado or vegetable oil note 1
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 16 ounces cauliflower rice note 2
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro
- Saute. Add oil (2 tablespoons) to a large skillet over medium heat. Once shimmering, add onion (1/4 cup) and saute until soft, about 7 minutes. Add oregano (1/2 teaspoon), garlic powder (1/2 teaspoon), and cumin (1/2 teaspoon), and toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add salt, tomato paste (1/4 cup), and chicken broth (1/2 cup), and whisk until smooth.
- Soften + serve. Stir in the cauliflower rice (16 ounces) and toss to coat. Cook until softened to your liking, stirring frequently to ensure the rice cooks evenly. I usually cook my rice for about 6-8 minutes, but this will vary depending on the heat of your pan and how soft you like your rice. Remove from heat, taste, and adjust seasoning to your liking. Sprinkle with cilantro (1 tablespoons) before serving and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Oil - you want an oil with a high smoke point and mild flavor, such as veggie, sunflower, or avocado oil. Skip EVOO and coconut oil here.
- Making your own cauliflower rice - I usually buy a bag of cauli rice for this recipe, but if you have a head of cauliflower, you can make your own. Simply cut your cauliflower into large chunks and grate using a box grater.
- Nutritional information is for 1 serving if you divide this recipe into 4, so about 1/2 cup of rice per serving:
- Nutritional information was calculated using avocado oil, not vegetable oil.
On your phone? Check out my web story here.